PDA

View Full Version : Teen gets $10 million bill for wildfire

TimSr
10-13-2004, 11:53 AM
These incidents are used to mandate liability insurance for ATVs in some states and to close riding areas. Obviously, fire is a much greater threat in some areas of the country than in others. If you live in such an area, please dont remove your spark arrester just to make noise.

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Monday, October 11, 2004 · Last updated 4:41 p.m. PT

Teen to get bill for $10M for wildfire

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WENATCHEE, Wash. -- The U.S. Forest Service said it plans to bill a teenager about $10 million to pay the costs of fighting a 16,000-acre wildfire.

Ryan Unger, 18, was cited last month for operating an off-road vehicle without a spark arrester, which officials believe started the August blaze in central Washington. Besides burning thousands of acres, the fire destroyed one home.

The Forest Service is required by law to try to recover costs of fighting forest fires. The state Department of Natural Resources has paid about one-third of the total $14.9 million it took to extinguish the blaze.

"It's not something we take pleasure in," said Maureen Hanson, administrative officer for the Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests. "We understand a lot of these people don't go out to start a fire."

Unger's father said the family would not comment when reached by phone Monday.

Steve DeFolo, financial manager for the national forests, said the Forest Service usually works with an individual's insurance company to negotiate a settlement.

rob0781
10-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Wow he must feel like crap..how can they prove it was hom for sure?

trikerider2oo7
10-13-2004, 12:51 PM
that would suck balls...im glad i got a spark arrester

cliff2302
10-13-2004, 01:47 PM
i read that on netscape, and i couldn't believe it. I wonder exactly how much is going to come out of his pocket though.

TRI-Zbrian
10-13-2004, 06:00 PM
the only time i ever ever saw a spark coem out of my silencer is when my silencer packing got old and started to burn.....lol i remember that night were were all riding at night and i was in front and allof a sudden my buddies were flashing there lights at me i look back a see sparks going every ware out of my silencer on my tri z.... i panicked thinking my engine was blowing up or soemthing but then realized it was just the home made packing i used lol i used house insulation to pack my silencer.... it worked for a good while a cuple months atleast :beer

you know how hard it would have to be for one little spark to start a forest fire... that has to be close to impossible ... sounds like bs to me and they are just blaming him cause its a balievable story.

deathman53
10-13-2004, 06:14 PM
same here, BLAME IT ON THE ATV'S and ruin this kids life with a debt he will never pay off, also gives them another excuse to ban atv's from forests.

twgranger
10-13-2004, 06:23 PM
That is BS!

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-13-2004, 06:44 PM
you know how hard it would have to be for one little spark to start a forest fire... that has to be close to impossible ... sounds like bs to me and they are just blaming him cause its a balievable story.

ignorance.

ever heard the quote "spread like wild fire"? , all it takes is one spark on some dry leaves to start a fire.

as for the thing, if it was posted somewhere or he knew that he need a spark arrestor to ride in that area, then it is his fault and he should be charged. don't wanna follow the rules, pay the consequences.

Howdy
10-13-2004, 07:03 PM

12 or so years ago I lived on a small farm. We had a 4 1/2 acre pasture out back. I rode my 250sx in this pasture to keep the weed / grass down. My 250sx didn't have a spark arrestor in the muffler. I rode slightly off my regular path on my way around the pasture. I was the only one riding in this area so I never looked behind me. As I got to the end of the pasture to where I needed to turn I seen smoke to my side ( slight wind ). I turned around and noticed a small fire in the grass at the begining of the field. I quickly rode back to this area but it was too late. The fire was growing fast. Thanksfully the neighbor seen it and called the fire dept. They got there in about 10-15 minutes, but by then the fire had burned most of the pasture. Had they took 5 minutes more the fire would have reached the corn field ( this would have been bad!! )
So I know for sure running with out spark arrestor is dangerous unless your riding in a pond / water.
Howdy

TRI-Zbrian
10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
i guess i stand corrected guys... :rolleyes:

250Roger
10-13-2004, 07:43 PM
you know how hard it would have to be for one little spark to start a forest fire... that has to be close to impossible

Come to Arizona for a day. You will be amazed how fast a spark can cause a fire and spread.

Yamahauler
10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
so, how much is a spark arrester? rather pay that than 10 mil

TRI-Zbrian
10-13-2004, 08:21 PM
about the same price as a normal muffler.... you can usualy order a muff with or with out one.

AirManCam
10-13-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't have a sparkarrestor in my silencer, and I haven't had anytroubles YET. And I ride in sawdust/chips alot. so If they catch...im F'd becuase it will burn our mill down too.

hondawilly
10-13-2004, 10:29 PM
notmuch to worry about in nothern minniesota it isnt dry here unless it doesnt rain for awhile mostly wet

84250r
10-13-2004, 10:56 PM
I don't have a sparkarrestor in my silencer, and I haven't had anytroubles YET. And I ride in sawdust/chips alot. so If they catch...im F'd becuase it will burn our mill down too.

You must wanna be billed a good 10 mil,huh?

TrikerR
10-14-2004, 08:23 AM
can you tell from the exterior of a silencer if it has a spark arrestor

TimSr
10-14-2004, 09:11 AM
A spark arrester is nothing more than a piece of screen. All OEM exhausts have them. Many aftermarket do not. If they do, it will say USDA approved on it somewhere. With 2 strokes, a slip on Sparky is an easy fix. With 4 strokes, many aftermarket exhausts offer a screened end cover piece. If you have a multiple plate 4 stroke silencer, I think the only solution is internal.

Whether to use or not to use a spark arrester requires a little common sense. Most public owned riding places require them anywhere in the country which seems a little idiotic. Silver lake requires them to prevent the devastion of a dune fire, I guess. I have yet in my lifetime to witness a wildfire from any source here in Ohio, so they arent necessary here unless you are field riding under drought conditions. Same goes for most of the NE quarter of the US. In many other parts of the country, wildfires are a huge, realistic threat, and all it takes is a spark to set them off. Use your head. If your state hasnt had a wildfire in the last 100 years, you're probably safe to ride without one. If you ride in a state where they become an annual event, take the proper precautions so we dont all become mandatory ATV liability insurance states.

trikerider2oo7
10-14-2004, 04:13 PM
sand can catch fire?