PDA

View Full Version : New Mini Bike!

TrikeKid
10-13-2004, 11:54 PM
I traded a mini bicycle chopper for a mini bike roller. i only need an engine and drive train controls and a seat. i'll post pics asap. anyone know what a B&S 3.5 might need after sitting outside for quite a while. it still turns over the last time i checked the recoil got stuck all the way out. i figured on a new carb, points, plug, and a fuel tank but im not sure if I have all the stuff i need on my list.

rob0781
10-14-2004, 12:04 AM
good chance it might just need little maintenance,i knew a guy with a briggs and stratten mower,he left it out in the snow for like 5 winters in a row and didn't even change the oil or gas(also theres no filter just open carb) and it was piss pourin rain one day last spring we were there workin on his trike and i decided to pull the cord just outta bordom well 3-4 pulls later the thing was runnin kinda sputterin and smokin but it was runnin so ever since then i'bve always though they were tough,also my 3h.p mowers been sittin in the yard all summer through the rain and it starts fairly easy so if it's not seized good chance it might not take much to run..

TTribaLL
10-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Man, there is no reason you *can't* trust a B&S, it will start everytime, rain or sun, night or day. That is, unless you didn't do something right. I have an old 3hp and I have never had any problems starting it(takes a few pulls though), and its probably over 30 years old, and the only reason it doesn't start now is because I messed with some stuff behind the flywheel and didn't properly "re-connect" a lead.

MTS
10-14-2004, 10:40 PM
uh..i dont like brigs i prefer my honda ...lol the valves tend to get stuck open with use on older ones..least with the ones iv had.. i dunno..change the oil gas..clean the carb..you might need a little diaphrap rubberthinggy that go's on the side of the carb..theres to screws and a little plate..its behind that..they tend to rot
:)

Pistonhead
10-15-2004, 08:22 PM
I've got an ages old BnS water pump thats had several different coats of paint and been abused forever, old gas in all after fall+winter left sittin outside, I walk up to it, choke it, pull the cord once and it starts right up with a little bit of sputtering but thats all!

TrikeKid
10-21-2004, 09:41 PM
well it isnt going to work anyway its one of the industrial motors with the huge gear reduction unit on the side of the motor. sorry for the late reply i wasnt allowed on the comp. for a week

MTS
10-21-2004, 11:19 PM
so take the gear reduction unit off and thow a comet clucth on it

TrikeKid
10-22-2004, 06:50 PM
i dont know if i can take the unit off without parts from a regular motor which i dont have and theres no room in the frame for a comet so i have to run a cetrifical clutch

MTS
10-23-2004, 12:05 AM
thats what i ment by coment centriffical clutch..there not the greatest but work...belive me a 5 horse brigs witha centriffical clutch is plenty of power for it lol..you do wheelies easy....never buy a comet torq-averter..they are THE crappiest made torqe converter i have ever had..they are weak as hell and break and bend easy

TrikeKid
10-23-2004, 01:29 PM
well comet clutch is used to refer to the tourqe converter most of the time. i planned on a 5 horse with some mods because my friend has one thats mostly apart and needs valve train work so i figured it would be the perfect time for a hotter cam. then i wanted to do a K&N and a straight pipe or a small super trapp.

MTS
10-23-2004, 03:04 PM
my friend stuck a stock newer B&S 5 horse in his mini bike...dont override the governer too long going down roads thats what he did and now there is a connecting rod sticking out a crack in the block LOL