PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Arctic Cat El Tigre

sickKLT20081
10-18-2004, 12:19 PM
We got a 1977 El Tigre 440 last year and one day out on a pretty decent run, I think one of the pistons went out on it, because it suddenly fouled a plug on a hot motor, and after the plug change did not want to restart. When it restarted it didn't like running at all, so we just parked it and really haven't done anything with the sleds since last winter( all 4 broke, 2 torn tracks, and 2 with motor problems) so I don't know if we smoked the motor, or what, but I either want to fix it with my dad's money, or if he won't let me I'll buy it from him and fix it myself. The reason would do this is because this was one damn fast sled. So if any body has any ideas let me know

TRI-Zbrian
10-18-2004, 01:26 PM
i had something like that happen on my old 85 440 ss... turns out i melted a hole through one of the pistons and after i restarted it it was only running off of one side making it run like trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro... sounds like what you did...

do a compression test and you will know for sure.

Pistonhead
10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
I've heard El Tigre's are scary fast but heavy as hell.

hondawilly
10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
why not get a newer one that has some suspension

MTS
10-18-2004, 10:19 PM
sounds like you melted a hole in the piston or blew up the piston skirt...both be wary off...but its pretty easy to pop the head off..all of 10 mins :p

84250r
10-18-2004, 10:39 PM
what are you complaining about, or asking help about? just take your cylinder head off and look, it's not that hard.

Exactly....

sickKLT20081
10-19-2004, 08:58 AM
what are you complaining about, or asking help about? just take your cylinder head off and look, it's not that hard.

It's burried out in the back, it would take an hour or so to dig the stupid thing out, so I was just wondering if it was worth fixing or not. Also it doesn't have cylinder heads, you have to take off the whole thing. One more thing could that wreck the whole motor??

sickKLT20081
10-19-2004, 09:12 AM
I've heard El Tigre's are scary fast but heavy as hell.

Holy crap could this thing go. On the trails one of my buddies had a 760(i think) ski doo, and I could keep up with him as long as he stayed under 80 :cool: . Heavy! that is almost an under statement, if your brakes are out just a little bit, you will never stop the stupid thing

Pistonhead
10-19-2004, 08:42 PM
I know a guy who got one stuck deep into a monster snow drift on a BIG hill, needless to say he was there for a while!

PowerTrike
10-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Yup pop that head off and have a gander down yonder. My buddie had an ol' 340 Artic Cat that he melted a hole in the piston last year with simptoms similar to yours. I think your best bet would be to find a parts sled with the stuff you need (check out a swap meet) My dad had a 79 El tigre that he used to race back in the day. I drove it once before it was sold. Indeed a pretty fast sled. Weather you want to fix it or not is entirely up to you and probably depends on the condition of the rest of the sled. Or hey send it my way for a little cash. Might be needing a winter project...

sickKLT20081
10-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Weather you want to fix it or not is entirely up to you and probably depends on the condition of the rest of the sled. Or hey send it my way for a little cash. Might be needing a winter project...[/QUOTE]

We also have a 1973? Polaris Colt - bad track
1976 Arctic Cat Pantera 340 - won't idle or start very well
allong with a kiddie cutter - busted windshield

Also how much for the Big Red???