PDA

View Full Version : stand up jetski???

200xkwit
10-20-2004, 08:19 PM
ive been looking around for a stand up jetski. mainly a kawasaki 550 older one. but i was curious has anyone had any experience with these machines? maybe you could tell me the pros and cons or does anyone have one they would let go? ive been looking all over for one and the only place i can find them is ebay. I think it would be a nice winter project.

TRI-Zbrian
10-20-2004, 08:52 PM
lol a while back i saw a pair of old yamaha stand ups and i almost bought them... it hink the guy wanted liek 300 bux one ran and the other had problems... wish i would have bought them... they look fun... im pretty sure you can do alot more tricks on them... :Bounce

TrikerR
10-21-2004, 06:29 AM
they are the sweetes thing...just takes a bit off practice
i took my old one to the surf beach one time and was busting big off the wave and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro...the surfers couldnt beleive wat i was doin on it.

Steiger
10-22-2004, 12:47 AM
I bought a kawasaki 650 brand new in 1989 and had an absolute blast on it. A couple years after that I got a new 750 soon after they came out. That was 10 times more fun and rode a lot nicer. I still have them both but have not ridden them for a couple of years, never enough time to make it to the lake. I can not stand the sit down modern day versions, they are way to boring. You can do lots of tricks with a stand up and they are more of a challenge to ride, it takes a little more strength to ride than a sit down. If you never have rode one before, try starting on your knees like you do with a wakeboard, do that for a while until you get the feel for it, then once you get a little speed up, stand up and ride. Practice and soon you will be doing 180 degree power turns, corkscrew power dives and nose diving like a pro. I am not a pro, but I sure had a blast on them for about ten years, loved it more than any other water sport. But now I have not enough time to enjoy them, but I keep them with the intention of getting them out some day again. I better stop before I write a book, lots of good memories.......................... :cool:

As far as pros and cons in the machines, I only had kawasaki and all I ever did was put fuel and oil in it, pretty much bullet proof. I even drowned both of them several times and got them going again real easily. They have a cable for this, but cant remember what its called, been to long and I am too old to remember. My neighbor had a 550 for a while, but traded for a 650. I say get a 750sxi ( i think it was sxi ) they were a sweeeet machine. I was going to get one the last year they made them, but never did.

Pistonhead
10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
I always like the looks of the stand up better, I've only ever ridden a sit down before though. I'd like to try them out more, but I prefer fast boats/airboats and hovercrafts.

woodstockii
10-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I bought a kawasaki 650 brand new in 1989 and had an absolute blast on it. A couple years after that I got a new 750 soon after they came out. That was 10 times more fun and rode a lot nicer. I still have them both but have not ridden them for a couple of years, never enough time to make it to the lake. I can not stand the sit down modern day versions, they are way to boring. You can do lots of tricks with a stand up and they are more of a challenge to ride, it takes a little more strength to ride than a sit down. If you never have rode one before, try starting on your knees like you do with a wakeboard, do that for a while until you get the feel for it, then once you get a little speed up, stand up and ride. Practice and soon you will be doing 180 degree power turns, corkscrew power dives and nose diving like a pro. I am not a pro, but I sure had a blast on them for about ten years, loved it more than any other water sport. But now I have not enough time to enjoy them, but I keep them with the intention of getting them out some day again. I better stop before I write a book, lots of good memories.......................... :cool:

As far as pros and cons in the machines, I only had kawasaki and all I ever did was put fuel and oil in it, pretty much bullet proof. I even drowned both of them several times and got them going again real easily. They have a cable for this, but cant remember what its called, been to long and I am too old to remember. My neighbor had a 550 for a while, but traded for a 650. I say get a 750sxi ( i think it was sxi ) they were a sweeeet machine. I was going to get one the last year they made them, but never did.

My brother and I have the 750 and the 650 both sitting rotting away... :(
It all started with the 440 which he still has also..
We never rode anything but the stand-ups! Thet are very hard at first, everytime I would try a turn I would fall. It got very tiresome.. We rode about 4 yrs. It got to where I could stand up from a stop to take off. ( very tricky at first)

The ulimate was the coastal waters for sure.. We got ran out of Galveston Beach because we failed to obey the 300ft wake zone. Hell that's where all the surf was!!

My brother was out in the swells onetime, he saw a kyaker in the distance. He continued to play around.. The next thing he knew he was airbourne over a big swell, as he looked down the Kyaker was beneath him!!! Luckily he was on the 750 it has lots of power with the 2stoke mods it was taking the swells as "doubles" no one was hurt..
I still couldn't image being that kyaker looking up.. :rolleyes:

250rAL
10-23-2004, 08:20 PM
I always thought of it like this: the stand-ups are like three wheelers and the sit downs are like quads.

Pistonhead
10-23-2004, 09:49 PM
well said, I'd agree there.