PDA

View Full Version : stupid caddilacs!

cliff2302
10-31-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm just realy frustrated and i needed to vent. I was driving home from college 2 weekends ago and my transmission seriously took a major s**t on me. I was on 81 for about 5 minutes, had the cruise control set, all was normal. Then, the cruise shuts off and all of a sudden the car downshifts into 3rd. I pulled off at the next exit, and it seems to be slipping real bad. I cheked the fluid, 1/2 guart low, nothing too bad. I filled it up, and took off. I realized it wasn't slipping, it just was not going into first gear, even when i manually shift it into 1st. So i now have only 2nd and 3rd gears. I talked to my dad's friend who is a mechanic and he said it would be about $2200 to put in a different tranny. Apparently, caddilacs are the worst cars to put trannys in and no one wants to do teh job So now im stuck with a car that i paid $2500 for a year and a half ago, that needs almost that much money to fix it. And even if i did fix it, it would still only be worth around $2500. The stupid car is really nice too, it is from florida, and the underneath looks like a brand new car. I just put new front brakes, bought new front tires, and did a full engine tune up. Oh, and i forgot to mention the best part. The day before it happened a chinese food delivery guy gave my buddy his number because he wanted to buy it.
So, i guess what im trying to get at is does anybody know anything about these cars? Its a 1991 sedan deville. I'm thinking (hoping) that maybe its an electrical problem because the tranny messed up at the same time the cruise quit working. Any ideas?

PowerTrike
10-31-2004, 09:33 PM
How many miles are on it? Sounds like you need a rebuild. Don't necessarily need a whole new tranny. I would drop the pan to see if you have anything floating around in there thats supposed to be somewhere else... Good luck

cliff2302
10-31-2004, 11:13 PM
That reminds me, i forgot to mention that I put in a new tranny filter and fluid after this happened. The old stuff looked good still, pink and no stink. I figured i could get a used transmission cheaper than i could get it rebuilt. The price is all labor. You need to take the whole engine out to get to the transmission because its front wheel drive. The car has 127,000 miles on it. thanks for your opinion power trike

MTS
10-31-2004, 11:28 PM
sounds like a problem with the PCU computer thingy in it...they have a tendency to get fried every once in a wile...i would take a look at that first..,..bite the bullet take it to a dealership and have them check it...or if you know where it is in a caddy..go to the scrapers and pick one up and swap it out

cliff2302
11-01-2004, 12:14 PM
that sounds like a good idea, thanks