PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my Scrammy Tomorrow!

Kook
11-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Yep, finally made the decision!

'98 Scrammy 4X4. Purple and white (will have to take care of that ASAP). Excellent condition, front & back racks, trailer hitch, FMF pipe (didn't know about that until last night), all for $2,200. Good deal around here.

I've never owned a 2-stroke. What ratio do you guys run your gas at? Anything else I ought to know right off the bat?

Wickedfinger
11-02-2004, 06:03 PM
First off .... good stuff!. Secondly, unless it was removed, the 378cc Scrammy motor has oil injection - all you have to do is fill the oil tank up with any good 2-stroke oil that says it will work with oil injection systems (I use Pure Polaris stuff but Blue Marble and others will work too), and thats it. If for some reason the injector gear has been removed, mix your ratio at whatever the oils manufacturer recommends. Unless you're a hunter, remove those racks immediately and sell them on e-Bay. When you go to pick it up - ask the guy when the last time was he changed out the front hub fluids - if he says, oh, uh never - make that your first project or have the dealer do it. Another thing - don't be suprised if you never see the radiator fan come on. Its not broken, its just that the 378 is so very well cooled by that huge radiator - it never needs the fan and can be safely removed (caution though - 500 owners DO NOT DO THIS - the thumper does need it). I've never seen mine come on with either of the 400's I owned. Well, thats about it for now - I'm sure I will think of something later.....

vartiak15
11-02-2004, 08:05 PM
these are sweet quads one of the fist one i ever really rode and it was off road on trails in WI. all i got to say is i took it threw more stuff than a honda 500 could go threw and the sportsman 660, mainly ecuase it is lighter. if i ever get a quad it will proble be one of these. lets get some pics asap

mbg75
11-03-2004, 02:12 AM
cool, welcome to the scrammy club! i love mine, best thing i ever did was buy one. any questions feel free to ask.

Adam250sx
11-03-2004, 10:42 AM
I also have one and think they are very good machine. Awsome accelleration, tons of power, and the push button 4 WD is the bomb!
I do have a problem with it now thou, the girlfriend was driving last weekend, and she went to use the push button 4 WD and nothing happened. The front wheels are not engaging. She ended up getting stuck in the middle of this swamp. I went back to help her and the 4 wheel drive wasn't working, but I did notice when the 4 WD was selected and I was shaking it back and forth, and moving the handle bars the 4 wheel drive would engage for a second. When I got it home I put the scrambler up on blocks and put it in 4WD all wheels would spin, but if I held the front wheels they would stop spinning. What would I check? Loose wires, front hubs, dead battery? It does have a dead battery back that never affect the 4 WD before. Thanks and her is a pic of mine.

Kook
11-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Yep, I had second thoughts as soon as I posted that wicked, it does have an injector and so that isn't an issue. I'll make sure and ask about the hub fluids first thing. Will post pics as soon as I can. Also, even though I am a hunter, the racks are going right away. They will most likely be off before bedtime tonight. I will also take off the hitch, but keep it in case I need to haul something at the farm.

Wickedfinger
11-03-2004, 06:31 PM
I also have one and think they are very good machine. Awsome accelleration, tons of power, and the push button 4 WD is the bomb!
I do have a problem with it now thou, the girlfriend was driving last weekend, and she went to use the push button 4 WD and nothing happened. The front wheels are not engaging. She ended up getting stuck in the middle of this swamp. I went back to help her and the 4 wheel drive wasn't working, but I did notice when the 4 WD was selected and I was shaking it back and forth, and moving the handle bars the 4 wheel drive would engage for a second. When I got it home I put the scrambler up on blocks and put it in 4WD all wheels would spin, but if I held the front wheels they would stop spinning. What would I check? Loose wires, front hubs, dead battery? It does have a dead battery back that never affect the 4 WD before. Thanks and her is a pic of mine.

See my previous post about the hub fluid.

Adam250sx
11-04-2004, 09:41 AM
WickedFinger, I have search the site for you post on hub fluid with no luck. Can you point me to the right thread, Thanks.
Adam

Kook
11-04-2004, 11:51 AM
*When you go to pick it up - ask the guy when the last time was he changed out the front hub fluids - if he says, oh, uh never - make that your first project or have the dealer do it. *

Adam, He said it in an earlier post, so it was kind of hard to see. He told me he just changed it this spring, how often does Polaris recommend it be changed?

Talk about clean, this thing is incredible. I couldn't be happier, although I reserve all judgement until I've had the chance to give it a real go. The rear shock feels spongy, can I tighten that up a bit?

One thing, I showed up last night and the FMF pipe was gone, replaced with the stocker. When I brought that up, he said that he never mentioned it staying on the bike. Needless to say, that little trick cost him $200.00 by the time I was done, so I got it for $2,000 even. I'm really happy with the deal.

Wickedfinger
11-04-2004, 05:52 PM
... Does that have the two piece head pipe or the single pipe?. If its the single, I have my old FMF just collecting dust hanging in my garage. Its a little rusty, but no holes. Let me know if you're interested.

As far as the hub fluid goes - they recomend every 12 months - BUT - I would change it every 6 months or sooner.

Kook
11-05-2004, 11:26 AM
I'll check on the pipe Wicked and PM you. I also actually looked at my shock last night and see how to adjust it, so I've actually figured out one of my own stupid questions. That's a nice change.

Wickedfinger
11-05-2004, 12:03 PM
I'll check on the pipe Wicked and PM you. I also actually looked at my shock last night and see how to adjust it, so I've actually figured out one of my own stupid questions. That's a nice change.

As far as the shock goes - Polaris did something cool and included a spring tab that seats the spring into the adjusters - if the shock is clean and oiled (wd-40) so theres no resistance, you can adjust it by hand with no tools by simply grabing the spring body and turming it - if you raise the rear wheel off the ground so theres no preload.

Adam250sx
11-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Well I took the front hubs apart not knowing what to expect. Man there are a lot of different bearings in them. Couple questions now, how much oil do you put back into the hubs and what kind of oil goes into them? Dam I need to buy a manual anyone have any forsale for a 99 Scrambler 400 4X4?
Question about the manual, will and manual for a 500 work just as well, because that is all I see out there?

250r83
11-06-2004, 07:22 PM
I had a cyclone for awhile and I really didn't like the response of the belt clutch, it was fast but I hated the take off. Are the new clutches better? I've been down on Polaris since I had that Cyclone but I love the look of the Scrambler's.

Scott

Kook
11-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey Adam, I've been looking for a manual too. Best I could find was that there is one coming out for the 400 Scramblers in February. Amazon.com (I think) is where I found that one. Even the Polaris dealers only seem to have a generic one when it comes to the 400s.

Hey Wicked, I'm not too sure about adding 5+ hp to this baby, it is SCARY fast! I just barely punched it once yesterday and just almost threw my son off the back! LOL I can't wait until I get it out by myself so I can open it up for real! Man, what a rush!