PDA

View Full Version : Heated Garage !!!

bigredhead
11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
With any luck. i should have a 105,000 BTU oil furnace in my garage tonight, so this winter will be garage heaven... no fingers sticking to frozen bolts, no frostbite, and working on my trike in a t-shirt !!!

yeeehawwww.. :Bounce

smokinp
11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
nice!I have a big furnace in my garage too... :Bounce :Bounce

bigredhead
11-09-2004, 04:46 PM
I gotta make room tho.. i have a fair sized garage, but i also have alot of stuff.. and it ain't getting any better... ugh.

Got house wrap on the outside, needs interior insulation and either sheet rock or particle board.. not sure wich i'm going to get yet. probably board since i can hand stuff anywhere and not have to bother with finding the studs..

But heat will be an awsome thing..

Mobular
11-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Yup, a cold garage is def. a work inhibitor! lol!

350Xccelerator
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
i wish we had a garage. my dad made it into another living room.

hondawilly
11-09-2004, 09:09 PM
we heat our garage with wood so its nice and toasty working on sleds, but it suckx making fires ANd cutting and splitting wood.

bigredhead
11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Heats on ! got her installed just now .. and wow.. i'll never again go without.

corndawg
11-09-2004, 10:22 PM
weve got 2 of those salamander heaters in our shop one 200,000 btu and the other is 135,000. we have them set up on a thermostat and it can be 0 out and within 5 min its almost too warm in there. the only bad thing about those is the fumes but they put out enough heat to be able to crack the door or open a window to let out fumes and not worry about freezing to death

vartiak15
11-09-2004, 11:20 PM
we just use a propane heater for ours and we got the heated floors! just not hooked up yet(we did it our selves) so after that and when we get all settled in then we got a wood burner too@

mywifeknowseverything
11-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Wimps!!!!!! I love to go outside and work on my stuff in the Cold...Just throw a long sleeve on or a Flannel and go!!!! Of Course it doesnt often get under 50 or so degrees :p :beer :D

foster
11-10-2004, 09:57 AM
I've got a very tiny garage, just enough room for the trike and associated gear. My heater is a tiny 10,000 btu plug-in unit.
And believe me, it gets mighty cold up here. How cold? Well, I put my beer outside to cool off when I'm working in the shed, and at times in winter it WILL freeze.
The other night itwas kinda cold (at least for this time of year) so I cranked on the heater while I changed the oil, new plug, drained the water and muck out of the arse end, etc.... After awhile I was getting too hot so I reached down to turn it off. Surprise! I had the setting on FAN ONLY. It wasn't even blowing any heat! :rolleyes:
Daddy was right -- if you're cold, you ain't workin' hard enough.

bigredhead
11-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Well. around here, nights will go to -10 C and lower plus the wind chill factor wich can crank things down to - 40 c.

Screw that.. call me a whimp all you want...... :p i'll keep my heater LOL..

foster
11-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Ha ha!
I live in the tropical part of New Brunswick.
Moncton.
The temp only goes down to minus 39 C here in the southeast!

3 weelin geezer
11-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Aww, all you po' folks out there freezin your pretty little girl fingers off with a little nippiness and then there was the time I met this pretty girl in yokohama. Man she was nice. Didn't speak a lick o' English but mrffn thn bla dkeij fjkdlsioengls ....ZZZZzzzzzzz..

Howard
11-17-2004, 08:39 AM
while on the heat subject. i ahve a 28x30 insulated shop i need to heat.
my boss said buy his wood burner for 200$ and it would do good in there. was thinking that would be the route to go. but what about these other heaters you guys mention? propane? oil? what's you all's opinion on that as far as what heat i should go with. only down fall with the wood to me is i have to ahve cut wood, make the fire then wait for heat. when i get a chance to get out there i usually need to start working right away cause im limited on time with a wife and 3 kids, LOL.
what should i choose?

TimSr
11-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Howard,
Thats exactly why I never went with wood. Its time consuming and a lot of work, especially when you do an hour here or an hour there. I have a very small garage and run a kerosine heater, and also I have a kerosine torpedo that I initially fire up when I first go out there.
My friend has a very large building, and he uses a wood burner along with a larger kerosine torpedo for initial heat up.
Fuel costs vary in different areas of the country and thats one consideration. Wood makes a great garage heater if you are going to be in it for extended periods of time, but I wouldnt use it unless I also had some faster alternative source of heat for those two hour jobs.

bigredhead
11-17-2004, 10:43 AM
I agree with TimSr 100 %.

With an oil furnace ( it's an actuall whole house furnace in my case ) my garage is T-shirt wearing warm in about 5 minutes.. no wood piles to take up trike room, no bugs ( ever had a hollow log full of ants !!!! ) and when you pull the plug, you can leave the garage and not worry about hot coals.

Wood is cheap heat, but unless you got LOTS of room and spend full days in there.. i'd stick with either propane or oil.

I spent the afternoon on sunday cleaning and organizing the garage in 0 c and spent about 1 $ worth of oil.

Why work in the cold, when you don't have to.?

jenndnn3
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Howard we are looking at same thing, and I think we are gonna do both, Propane, along with wood. Home depot has nice heaters, and we are already serviced with propane. Mine I have to have moveable, since my shop is 32x84. Our home has a woodstove as well so chopping wood is an already must. I wouldnt do woodstove unless, you already chopped. Another option is pellot stoves.

bigredhead
11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
i've never checked out a pellet stove before, aparently they are pretty good.... anyone able to give input on those?

Howard
11-17-2004, 01:41 PM
thats some good info and some good points, i think my choice will be made with a non wood heat. i have city provided natural gas, wonder if i can get a heater to work off of that. and i guess i would ahve to have someone pipe it in and get inspected? maybe i should make some calls and go look at home depot like jenn said.

What is a pellot stove? anyone have one?

Howard

Howdy
11-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Our shop is 24x40 and we heat it with Wood. We have to keep the shop above freezing because it has a bathroom. To provide a quicker heat we have found old house siding works wonders. The siding: It is basically compressed cardboard ( with glue / resin in it ). Normally withing 5-10 minutes of the furnace being lit is blowing out the heat. It works great!! Now if we are going to be out there for 3 hours or more we may throw in a regular log. Most of the time we just use siding.

Where do we get the siding? A lot of time we actually get paid to take it ( normally $200 a load ). It's nice to get Paid to heat your shop. lol It don't take long to cut it all up in proper lengths and stack it on a couple dock carts ( using 2 people ). We still had a small amount that load left over for this year. This year we got the old siding from my house and from my best friends house. We should be set for 2-4 years.

We do have a Kerosene salamander heater also. We don't use it much at all. We filled it up about 3-4 years ago ( 5-6 gallon ) and it is still 1/2 to 3/4 full. We don't like the fumes from a heater.
Thanks
Howdy

foster
11-17-2004, 04:22 PM
I've used a Kerosun kerosene heater and it works real good, but like Howdy says they can give off fumes. Kerosun heaters are a dime a dozen at yard sales here in the northern climates.

http://www.msiwix.com/images/Heaters/DC-901_small.gif

kryppy
11-19-2004, 09:33 AM
With any luck. i should have a 105,000 BTU oil furnace in my garage tonight, so this winter will be garage heaven... no fingers sticking to frozen bolts, no frostbite, and working on my trike in a t-shirt !!!

yeeehawwww.. :Bounce

I need an AC in my garage...still. Life is good!!

md1985250r
11-19-2004, 09:16 PM
If natural gas is available and you can afford the initial cost of a gas stove, I would go with the gas. I have in my living room a gas insert, and that thing is AWESOME!!! The remote control is the thermostat. Yes I said remote control. At the touch of a button I can control the fan speed, the temperature and the flame height. The local hardware store should have models to look at. Compared to a pellet stove , they are the same except for the fuel they burn. The biggest difference in my opinion , is the fact that a pellet stove requires almost as much work as a wood stove, loading pellets , cleaning out the ash , as well as cleaning the chimney. Gas stove is actually a furnace, and only requires a checkup and filter cleaning regularly. Good luck GREG

Yes I know I said I have this in my living room, but they sell many models and types. Free standing ones for the center of a room, triangle shaped ones for corners, etc etc.....

honda200boyatc
11-19-2004, 09:36 PM
i live in nothern mn and it got cold last winter. i got just a little prolane heater in the garage and it kept me worm but im also a mn kid so it don't bother me. it got down to -35f here last yaer and that was day -40 to -50 at night

Howard
11-22-2004, 12:02 AM
For those of you that use the Propane heaters what size tank do you use? i was thinking a 70lb or less size?

Dan Tenn
11-22-2004, 11:52 AM
For those of you that use the Propane heaters what size tank do you use? i was thinking a 70lb or less size?

I have a 120 Gallon LP tank for my 75,000 BTU gas shop heater. Filled it twice last year. I live in Southern MN, and heat a 28'X32' shop.

bigredhead
11-22-2004, 12:25 PM
I got a 45 Galon drum of furnace oil over the weekend, should be good enough for the entire winter !

Also got he duct work done, nice airflow now, and quiet ! :Bounce

3 weelin geezer
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Did any of you guys build yerself those heaters?