PDA

View Full Version : Fun while hunting.

polabareus
11-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Well, I took the 84 big red hunting this year and ended up having a bit of trouble. I do want to mention that this bike had it's top end rebuilt last october by a local shop. I hunt on my Grandpa's land which is about 300 acres and his land is surrounded by about 1,000 acres of state land and another couple hundred acres of county land. Needless to say, it's in the middle of nowhere up in northern MN. I rode the trike way out into the state land about 2 miles from my Grandpa's house. I stayed out there all morning and by 1 or so I started heading back up to the house. I got about a half mile threw the woods and decide to stop and have a smoke. I puffed my cancer stick and went to get on the trike when I noticed all this dark liquid all over the top of the bottom end of the engine, or behind the cylinder to be more specific. At first I thought it was muddy water or something but when I dipped my finger in it I quickly realized it was oil! I didn't know where it was coming from so I wiped the oil off with a rag I had and started the big red up. I didn't see any oil coming out of anything and I was about to get back on and just go slow and keep my eye on it, when I decided to see what happened if I reved the engine a little. I reved it up and a perfect little arch of oil came spraying out around the gasket where the top end connects to the bottom end. Disbelief quickly changed to anger when I realized, since there was no way to get a truck to where I was, that I would have to push the trike all the way back to the house over uneven, muddy, and just plain crappy ground. That sucked, real bad. I brought the big red to the shop that did the rebuild today and they said they would look at it. They also said that the person who did the work no longer worked there and that several other projects of his had come back with problems too. I also noticed that after the rebuild there seemed to be a loss of power and some odd knocking noise and some smoking that I chalked up to valves and valve seals. Maybe it was something else? Anywho, I'm not mad at the shop that did the work, and I won't be as long as it's fixed properly. Well, that's my hunting story for the year. No, I didn't get a deer. I did hit one of the biggest bucks (honest to god, no embellishment) as it was running across a field about 125 yards away. It ran in the woods and I tracked that sucker for over a half mile in thick brush and downed trees by following little spots of blood but eventually I lost the trail (sucks when there's no snow). I'm thinking it was just a brisket shot and hopefully he'll be there next year for the re-match.

85_250SX
11-14-2004, 02:45 AM
They also said that the person who did the work no longer worked there and that several other projects of his had come back with problems too.

Sounds like an easy out for the shop to get the monkey off their back. Oh, it was so and so's fault and he's no longer here, blah blah blah :rolleyes:

A good shop would have apologized and corrected it. I know they are correcting it and all, but they use this guy as an out as to not make their work look shabby, but when push comes to shove THAT SHOP not that one person was responsible for getting your Big Red running top knotch. Know what I'm saying? ;)

hotroddal
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
polabareus, where abouts in northern minnesota d you live? I live in mt.iron near virginia and hibbing an chisolm

honda200boyatc
11-15-2004, 11:32 PM
i went huntin last weekend and didn't see anything but had lots of fun flying down the trails untill i hooked into a tree with my tire had a pice of wood stuck between my rim and wheeland it sucked but its ok it didn't break anything so i was happy then yesterday(sunday) i went riding and left my choke on and the **** i though i broke somthing when i stoped i looked and saw the choke was on it rode great after that but i had fun the deer lov. privite land in nothern minn.

PowerTrike
11-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah whereabouts in Northern MN are you at? Just got back from hunting in MN myself (near Outing) My two 84 big reds gave me no trouble with lots of hours on them and no engine rebuilds that i am aware of. Really sorry on your luck. Sounds like the shop did a bad job. Would you mind telling me the name of the shop? Didn't get a deer yet either :(

honda200boyatc
11-16-2004, 12:06 AM
i live in duluth MN and ! weekend left pullin out the chain gun and buyin me u hummer i got it this year.