PDA

View Full Version : mixing oil with my gas?

littlemax
11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I have a 86' Honda 250r its been bored 20 over and all new clutches in it. Everything is new. Ive been running it for a while on a heavy mix for break in . But what mix do i need to run it on now?

twgranger
11-17-2004, 09:51 PM
I run my z 50:1

OldSchoolin86
11-17-2004, 10:48 PM
It depends on how good of oil you use. If your using wal-mart cheap-O stuff I wouldn't go less then 32:1 but if you run a nice oil like super techniplate I would run it at 50:1.

BIGCRIP28
11-17-2004, 11:00 PM
go with bel-ray

OldSchoolin86
11-17-2004, 11:04 PM
go with bel-ray

bel-ray is okay too but it's not answering his question at all.

cliff2302
11-18-2004, 03:36 AM
more oil = better protection no matter how you look at it. I run 32:1 with klotz in my tecate and suprisingly it smokes very little once its warm. Run the most oil you can without fouling your plugs, thats how i feel. But its my opinion. you can run 50:1, i've never heard of anyone running 50:1 burning up a piston on a properly tuned machine.

BIGCRIP28
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
bel-ray is okay too but it's not answering his question at all.

40:1 :beer

TimSr
11-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Synthetics 50:1, Motorcycle/ATV Factory Oils 32:1, general purpose discount 2 cycle oils 20-25:1.

TimSr
11-18-2004, 10:25 AM
more oil = better protection no matter how you look at it.

Where did you get this information? Do you fill your crankcase to the top as well? Mixing too much oil with your gas will mask any lean carburetion conditions, making it difficult to tune and setup properly. You run an appropriate mix first and setup carburetion around it, you DONT adjust your carburetion by playing with your oil / gas mix.

Lean fuel/air mix masked by a heavy oil/gas fuel mix to make your plug look normal = a motor that runs like crap, and has less protection than a clean burning efficient running one no matter how you look at it.

cliff2302
11-18-2004, 01:37 PM
I suppose i worded that wrong. More protection is better. No, i don't fill my crankcase up to the top, that is completely different. But anyways, make sure your bike is tuned properly to your mixture is basically the jist of my story.

3Razors
11-19-2004, 05:00 AM
It takes almost no oil to lubricate a 2 stroke top end. You can run 100:1 with synthetics and have success regards to piston/cylinder wear; however, the crank and rod bearings will prematurely suffer and fail as compared to running more oil to "bathe" the lower end bearings for long life.

Another thing if you have a lean fuel/air mix and a heavy oil/gas mix you will lean out the jetting even more. It's a matter of flow characteristics. If I have a cup of water with a straw in it, and I have a cup with a chocolate shake and a straw in it. Which is going to flow faster? The water obviously. Pretend as if the straw acts like a carburetors jet.

This is taken from Bel-rays website...........

Q: Tech Dude,
I have a 1998 Kawasaki KDX 200 and I recently switched to your H1R Powervalve Formula and now my bike is dripping black thick oil out of the exhaust pipe. I am mixing it at 40:1. Should I run less oil and mix at 50:1?

A: Your problem has nothing to do with what ratio you mix your oil at and everything to do with jetting. I recommend you mix Bel-Ray H1R anywhere between 40:1 to 50:1. It is fully synthetic oil and can handle high dilution ratios, no problem. What you are describing seems to be jetting. Somehow your KDX has turned rich and there could be many reasons why: a dirty air filter, warm weather, etc. The oil ratio you mix with fuel will have little to do with changing your jetting that severely. However, by switching from 40:1 ratio to 50:1, you will actually get richer jetting not leaner. More oil in the fuel makes a thicker fuel mixture which will travel through jets slower meaning more air is flowing than fuel mixture, and hence, your jetting will be leaner. Even though this is a slight difference, you will be heading in the wrong direction and worsening your problem. I recommend adjusting your jetting. Have a qualified mechanic help you jet your bike spot on and your dripping problems should disappear. If drooling, dripping and unsightly soiling persist, be aware that these symptoms usually disappear before adolescence. If you reach puberty and find yourself in the same situation, then seek counseling, daily viewing of Oprah and/or support groups. You may find that a group hug and public crying put you in touch with your feelings. It probably won’t help your symptoms, but you’ll feel good about yourself

Bill X_R
11-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Do you fill your crankcase to the top as well? .

Well where is it supposed to be, Mr. Smarty pants!!!!

OldSchoolin86
11-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Well where is it supposed to be, Mr. Smarty pants!!!! lol, just kidding

Is that what you ment to say or were you serious?

TimSr
11-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Well where is it supposed to be, Mr. Smarty pants!!!!

What YOU should do, Bill, is to put a grease fitting in your oil cap, and keep pumping until it comes out the spark plug hole!

Wickedfinger
11-19-2004, 06:17 PM
What YOU should do, Bill, is to put a grease fitting in your oil cap, and keep pumping until it comes out the spark plug hole!
At that point I would have to say you would NEVER have to worry about lubrication at all - just make sure the piston is at BDC so you can fill up the pipe too!. You would, however have to spend alot of time admiring your ride rather than riding it - which is ok since some of us prefer that to riding anyway. Hey, at least you won't have to worry about blowtorching the piston - LOL.

No, i don't fill my crankcase up to the top
:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!

If drooling, dripping and unsightly soiling persist, be aware that these symptoms usually disappear before adolescence. If you reach puberty and find yourself in the same situation, then seek counseling, daily viewing of Oprah and/or support groups. You may find that a group hug and public crying put you in touch with your feelings. It probably won’t help your symptoms, but you’ll feel good about yourself
Is that part really on the Bel-Ray website - if it is, those guys rock.

RideRed250R
11-19-2004, 09:06 PM
i run the honda factory racing CR blend about 5 bucks a bottle, makes 4 gallons into 32:1 ran that since i have had my bike its 100% synthetic.
adam

littlemax
11-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all u all have written . Never the less im still confussed ill run it on 40:1 and adj. my jets and get back with yall. Hopefully ill get it right