PDA

View Full Version : Honda Rancher

ATC'R
01-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Does anyone on this board own a Honda Rancher? When I picked up my 2002 4x4 ES a while back It seemed like the oil was way over filled. After I did an oil/filter change myself on it and put the recomended amount of oil back in it, it still reads over filled. Just wondering if the Honda specs on this machine are wrong?

200xer
01-10-2003, 08:58 PM
are you screwing in the dipstick? all you should do to read it is set it in the hole and pull it back out, don't screw it in.

How do you like your rancher? My mom bought a 02 and the thing rocks. It's so nice to trail ride. We have not had one problem or regret with it yet, and have had it for over 6 months.

ATC'R
01-10-2003, 11:26 PM
No, I'm not screwing in the dip stick and its on level ground....Not sure what the deal is ? The plastic cap may have been injection molded over the metal stick in the wrong spot. I will run up to the dealer and check it out tomorrow.
The Rancher has been just great, absolutely no regret's. Fit and feel of the control's and the LCD display is just great. I've tested out the torque-sensing front differential and it really works great too. You can have one of the front wheels off the ground and in will not "free-wheel" like most of the limited slip differentials out there. The only thing that took some time getting used to was the electric shifting. Every time I had to change gears I would be searching with my foot for the shift lever. Now I'm used to it and really like it!

ATC crazy
01-14-2003, 05:59 PM
If the wheel in the air ever does freewheel just apply the front brake a little and it kinda locks the diff on my Foreman. By the way, how far above the full line is the oil when you put the recommended ammount in? It recommends 2.2 quarts in mine so I put in a little over 2 quarts and then I will put some in and check it, put some in and check it, until its at the full line. Start it up, let it run and put a little more in until its at the full line again. It always works for me.

BigRedster
01-15-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm selling my three wheeler and getting a four wheeler...I'm 15, been riding ATV's in rough situations for about 6 years now...I don't have the time to fool with an old peice of junk(actually a really nice Big Red 200, but I am frustrated with old parts, restoring crap)....anyway...

How much horsepower and what's the top speed of the Rancher(ATC'r) and of the Foreman S(ATC crazy)?

Any info will be greatly appreciated...thanks alot

Josh

ATC'R
01-15-2003, 10:21 PM
ATC Crazy - The oil level is about 3/8 of an inch over the full level on the dipstick when filled to the owner manuals recommended 2.1 US quart (2.0l, 1.8Impqt) Not sure if the oil cooler drains back or what the deal is yet. Been kind of cold of late to tinker with it.
BigRedster - I'm not sure what the horsepower on the Rancher is, but it is surprisingly peppy and has plenty of torque. As to the top speed, I have run it on pavement, but not quite full throttle as the motor was new and reached 50 mph. I figure it will top out at around 52 mph on pavement wide open.