PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 250 2 stroke quad

Tri-Z_Jim
01-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Back in 86when 3 wheelers were about to die out,Yamaha's tri-z was the best looking thing going and its technology was ahead of its time for 85-6.I think yamaha should build a 250 2 stroke quad for the last yr of production for 2 strokes(2005-2006).It would be far more advanced than the trx, and then atleast yamaha could say they have the best 250 racing quad of all time. It would have plastic similar to a raptor but still resemble a banshee.The suspension would be similar to the raptor also.
These things would sell like hotcakes.
Anyone else have any idea's on this?
I need to get in touch with yamaha about this.I'm not looking for $$$ for the idea,I just want a new yami 250 to ride trailprotrailpro 2strokes are discontinued.

OldSchoolin86
01-11-2003, 09:35 AM
No offence but the Tri-Z was nothing special. I wouldn't say it was ahead of anything. I had one and I'd take a 250R over it anyday. As far as Yamaha making a 250 2-stroke quad, good luck.

The last thing you'd want is the Raptor suspension. The fronts are horrible and rear doesn't impress me. A YZ power valve motor in a MX frame would be awesome. They don't have a quad they could base this off of. Nothing they make would me good for this. The raptor look would be okay but you'd need a whole different chassis. I hate to say it but it would have to be a TRX style like the 400ex and the 400z are to make it one of the best.

ATCRYDER
01-11-2003, 03:33 PM
The only chances of such a thing.....would be popping an 86 Tri Z engine in a Raptor, Warrior, or Bnashee frame ;0)

Tri-Z_Jim
01-11-2003, 09:38 PM
what i meant by its ahead of its time is ,The tri-z was 1st and only trike to have a thermostat,gas tank under the seat for lower center of balance,not to mention they looked alot nicer than the T3's and R's(mine do anyways).The exposed frame on the sides looks cool too.
I also realize the tri-z wasnt the fastest of the 2 strokes.I could care less which is better.I know what I got.
As for the quads.Yamaha doesnt need to base anything on a trx, ex,or any frame.I was thinking a brand new frame.The trx frame is good but it aint the best,and besides,its 12 yrs old.I rode an 03 raptor and i think the susp is great.also the 03 YZ250 motor is a lil bit better than a trx motor.

OldSchoolin86
01-11-2003, 10:09 PM
The gas tank is one of the reasons I said it wasn't ahead of it's time. A lot of people take the time to relocate it. Personaly I thing it was a bad idea shifting that weight to the rear. They're already light enough up front. I liked jumping my Hondas better than my Tri-Z. Don't get me wrong, it's in the top three but it's not number 1. You also have to remember that you put a lot of effort into your Tri-Zs. You have the best ones I've ever seen. Saying you've got better looking trikes is true but not fair. Yours are far from stock.

Is this quad supposed to be a MXer? If so you have to realize that the Raptor setup is horrible for MX. That's just a fact. The front bottoms all day, the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro falls like a brick and it sits to high. The TRX style is the only way to go. Look at any succesful quad. They're all based on the TRX.

Tri-Z_Jim
01-12-2003, 03:35 PM
I've never been on an mx track w/ a raptor but I do know it handles very well in the trails here. The 250 quad would be a sport quad that could easily be modded to a serious MX,TT,flat track,duner,or whatever,but with less money than it takes to do a trx up. Remember,it was only a dream I had :)
I also think that when 2 strokes become"illegal",The blaster will be replaced by a 250 four stroke sport machine and the banshee will be replaced by the 400f or 426f. Blaster has an IT200 motor and the banshee uses a streetbike motor,both from the early 80's or late 70's.They have been testing the 4 stroke motors for a few yrs now on bikes and they are very competitive and would both be acceptable replacements for the blaster and shee.
The next step after banning 2 strokes is......Banning the use of ATV's all together on public and private land due to noise,polution,erosion and whatever else the tree huggers can think of. That would also mean no racing. One day Glamis wont be open for motorized vehicles any more.

Truckster
02-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Banning the use of ATV's all together on public and private land due to noise,polution,erosion and whatever else the tree huggers can think of. That would also mean no racing. One day Glamis wont be open for motorized vehicles any more.

riding on public land was canned 10+yrs ago in Aussie... Full road license, insurance, and Registration only.. MOST Quads and Trikes arent registerable here.. Private land is the only plcea.

They havent got anywhere like banning 2 strokes in aust, Ive heard basics on the banning in USA.... What is the story?? None imported or none to be sold from 2005??

ATCRYDER
02-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Sadly Jims right on the banning thing, half way atleast. Public Riding areas are definently slowly but surely meeting their demise. banning on Private land -however- is not something that will happen. ATV's are not as big of a priority as pollution in general, and I can about guarentee offroad use on private land will not be banned. And even if they do, who's going to enforce? You cannot smoke marijuana, build fires, ride around with the loudest and most pulluting exhaust you want, and bury your trash in your backyard....but who's stopping you if you do? ;)

Truckster: the USA accounts for a "good" percentage of ALL off road sales, the highest one in general, although I dont know the exact sales numbers per year. There are obviously more off-road vehicles around the USA, and North America in general, than anywhere else. Thats why manufacturers focus on North America, and thats why all 3 wheelers were put out of production by the "big guys".

theeechozen1
02-07-2003, 08:46 PM
They need to redesign the banshee and put the powervalve rz/rd style motor in it with updated suspension---nothing would touch it

J.D.
02-07-2003, 09:13 PM
I'd never heard anything about banning 2 strokes until now...I just wanna say, that's total BS!!!!

Tri-Z_Jim
02-07-2003, 09:55 PM
The Banshee isnt going to be improved anytime soon.Yamaha still sells them like hotcakes just the way they are.Yamaha isnt going to invest money on something that will be discontinued in a few yrs.The only money they spend on the banshee every yr is new decals and seatcovers,,,and maybe new plastic molds.
I think the $100 price increase every yr covers employee raises.I wonder how much it costs to build 1 banshee? I bet its less than half the retail price. I was surprised the blaster got some real improvements this yr and only cost $100 more.

ATC crazy
02-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Id think that Yamaha would improve the airbox and chain adjustment on the Banshee before it dies out in 2006. As far as making a 250 2-stroke; Yamaha wont invest millions of dollars into something that is going to die out in 3 years.