PDA

View Full Version : 3 wheel drive....

atczack
11-27-2004, 08:11 PM
I was reading a thread about the old Rokon's in bikersville and had an idea: Do you think, just to be different, you could adapt the front wheel drive hardware off of a Rokon onto a trike to make it 3 wheel drive?! I know it probably sounds stupid to some of you guy's, but I would actually be interested in trying to do it if I could find a Rokon for part's. What do you guys think? Stupid idea? Neat idea?

threewheelin-feelin
11-27-2004, 08:14 PM
cool idea...id love to have a 3WD bigred

atczack
11-27-2004, 08:16 PM
I might have to research this a little further. I've got a 200x auto I would be willing to sacrifice for a project like this. Hmmmmmm......

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-27-2004, 08:19 PM
If you were serious about wanting to make a 3 wheel drive setup... Your best bet would be to go after a KTM setup on ebay, Probably pricey as hell. Its a hydralic setup deal that runs off the motor, through lines, up to the front axle. I dont know the specifics about it, But they just came out with it not too long ago. I'm not sure how the rokons are setup, maybe its simpler..

Personally I think a 3wd ATC would handle like crap. Test riders for the 2wd dirtbikes said it made it handle worse (had to take turns wider,, etc) But, it'd probably be usefull in those sticky situations. If you made a switch type deal to turn it off and on, that'd be best.

atczack
11-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Thank's for the feedback. It would for sure have to be for utility models (opinion). I just could'nt picture a 250r or something with a contraption like that on the front. As far as the KTMs, I must hace read the same article as you, I bet your right, that would be pricey. Like threewheelinfeelin said, it would be cool on a Bigred or maybe a 200m or something big and bulky.

atczack
11-27-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm sure your right, it probably would handle like crap, but it would be neat crap :)

atczack
11-27-2004, 08:39 PM
I just went back to bikersville to look up some stuff on the rokon and I looked at the 2wd KTM. It looks like people have already touched a little on this subject back in August. Oh well, I thought it was an original idea of mine, but I was wrong. But I would still like to maybe try and do it. I think it would be the center of attention at any mudhole!

threewheelin-feelin
11-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Personally I think a 3wd ATC would handle like crap. Test riders for the 2wd dirtbikes said it made it handle worse (had to take turns wider,, etc) But, it'd probably be usefull in those sticky situations. If you made a switch type deal to turn it off and on, that'd be best.

yes sir ..thats the why i would do it. cruise in 2wd then flip it in 3wd in the mud.

trikerider2oo7
11-27-2004, 09:02 PM
it would have its good points and bad.
good: harder to get stuck
bad: no power because of the power it takes to run the hydralics to the front wheel and terrible handling

MTS
11-27-2004, 09:08 PM
screw hydrolics if ya wana really do sumin neat get a transfer case and what not off a new 4x4 quad with teh shaft, or make one, im sure it could be done with a chain drive system some how, :) but trikes do so good in mud alredy lol

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-27-2004, 10:15 PM
screw hydrolics if ya wana really do sumin neat get a transfer case and what not off a new 4x4 quad with teh shaft, or make one, im sure it could be done with a chain drive system some how, :) but trikes do so good in mud alredy lol

Please, Explain to me. A chain driving the front axle, How are you going to turn, what will be driving this chain?

:rolleyes:

MTS
11-27-2004, 10:23 PM
oh yea i forgot about turning lol, meh what ever

hondaATCman
11-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. Here are the reasons:

1. It would look goofy as hell.
2. It would take way too much time and money.
3. It would have an effect on handling.
4. Lower gas milage.
5. Loose power.
6. And finally, it really wouldn't do anything because trikes are light in the first place, especially the front end, so the tire wouldn't grab traction enough to help or notice that much anyway.

Now if Honda actually made a 3wd trike it would be a little different. You know they would go through the whole research and development process, make a unit and design it for a specific application...that might work. But when you try to take KTM or Rokon parts and fit them on a Honda it would be like mixing water and oil. And...when you're finished hacking, grinding, welding, duct taping, and zip tying a "3wd" unit on you're trike, then you'll realize what a terrible looking deffective hunk of junk you just wasted money on and ruint the looks of a nice 3-wheeler.

atcpunk107
11-28-2004, 12:08 AM
perssonally i think it would handle better, you figure with the solid rear end when you turn the fron end tends to slid in gravel or snow, well with a live front end, when you turn the tire will grab and pull the front end, i think it would be perfect on like a big red or utility trike

threewheelin-feelin
11-28-2004, 12:33 AM
perssonally i think it would handle better, you figure with the solid rear end when you turn the fron end tends to slid in gravel or snow, well with a live front end, when you turn the tire will grab and pull the front end, i think it would be perfect on like a big red or utility trike

thats a good point

TrikeKid
11-28-2004, 02:48 AM
a rokon trike has already been done.

atczack
11-28-2004, 11:16 AM
You know where to find pictures?

atczack
11-28-2004, 05:38 PM
I found something pretty neat on Rokons. Check out these pics. Especially the 5 wheel drive one. I would love to have it!!! http://www.rokonworld.com/freakpage.html

atczack
11-28-2004, 05:41 PM
This is for all of you who have been following our discusion on the '3 wheel drive' topic. Check out what I found on this rokon freaks page. You gotta see the 5-wheel drive rokon! http://www.rokonworld.com/freakpage.html

Howdy
11-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Looks like it has a atc90 or 110 motor in it. Strange!!
Howdy

P.S. I combined the 2 threads.

atczack
11-28-2004, 09:03 PM
A couple of them do have honda motors. There's one towards the end that appears to have a 200x motor on it.

hotroddal
11-28-2004, 09:10 PM
okay if you are realy serious about making a trike 3wd i will give you the best idea out there to do it: okay first get a old rokon,then take the rear wheel off, then go find like a 185 or 200 rear axle assembley and fabricate some mounts so the trike rear axle assembly could be mounted to the back of the frame, you might need to make a jackshaft to get the trike rear end to line up with the chain properly, also i do have a old rokon i will be selling it needs a carberator and a clutch but it did run before i took these parts off. (i think this would be the best and eisiest way to do it).

TrikeKid
11-28-2004, 09:12 PM
The "RT 740" is pretty cool its an RT340 with the two engines somehow connected. I acctually saw a Rokon 340 at a vintage motorcycle swap meet a while back definaitly intresting bikes.

atczack
11-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Sound's like a good idea to me. I'll have to try and find a cheap Rokon after Christmas. Hint,Hint.