PDA

View Full Version : swing arm pivot bolt

01-11-2003, 03:13 PM
i need some input on how to remove that blasted pivot bolt out of the swing arm with out doing to much damge right now i figure i have to replace all the parts in that pivot area anways so i needs some ideas or solutions on how to get it out any news is good news thanks in advance

-ben you can also e mail me at

bemiller@capital.net

200x Basket
01-11-2003, 04:02 PM
in my sig i have a link on how to remove one. it is isn the 86 500r link.

anyone who has ever removed a pivot bolt from a machine that has been sitting for several years knows that it can be a HUGE PITA this one was stuck pretty good. here are the steps that i used to remove it.
1. lots of PB Blaster.
2. half way removed the outer nut.
3. lots of PB Blaster
4. try to turn the bolt with a large break over bar
5. with the outer nut half on place a large center punch in the hole.
6. leave the outer nut half on so it does not enlarge as you beat the hell out of the punch.
7. with a large hammer (2 pound sledge) hammer the center punch.
8. after a few minutes try to rotate the bolt.
9. just keep at it and eventually it will come free.

01-11-2003, 06:11 PM
thanks for that info i will keep ya posted
on what happens

-ben

Mobular
01-11-2003, 07:59 PM
And when it goes back in, make sure you cover it with anti seize!!!!

ATC350X 85
01-12-2003, 07:23 PM
I was told this is a good technique, lay the bike sideways up on some wood blocks or something, then put a pipe on the bottom side around the pivot bolt, with the nut on the other side beat the snot out of it with a big sledge. That is how KPS suspension does it, hes a local around here. some of you guys might have heard of him. All the other techniques are good as well and definitely Coat that thing in anti seize.

01-13-2003, 10:38 AM
anti seize works wonders i use it on every thing you can never use to much of it.