PDA

View Full Version : tech question! a real stumper-mabey

Trikeaholic
01-11-2003, 05:50 PM
on my LT230, I replaced the clutch. After the kickstart gears fell out of the cover, and I think I figured out how to put them back in, I used blue gasket maker-something I NEVER use, but this project is on a tight budget. The kickstarter will NOT return on its own, if the case is tourqued down. The only thing I can think of is the space that the factory gasket takes up is essential to the fit and mesh of the gears. Is this possible?? Im pretty frustrated at this point. IF the bolts near the kicker are not tourqued down, the kicker returns properly. What gives????

Lots_Of_Nothing
01-11-2003, 05:55 PM
when everything fell out of place, did the return spring get nocked out of place?

Trikeaholic
01-11-2003, 06:02 PM
no, the kicker gear is in the cover, the spring is in the block, the kicker fell out of the cover.

Lots_Of_Nothing
01-11-2003, 06:05 PM
well i just re-read it, and it sounds like you better get the right gasket, just go to a hardware store and ask for gasket paper, then you can just trace and cut it out, and see if that works, if its still to thin, then make 2 out of the paper, its alot cheaper then buying factory gaskets

tecatecrazy
01-11-2003, 06:08 PM
I am an amature wrencher but the gasket thickness theory sounds like a bit of a stetch to me. sounds like something (like the return spring) isnt installed properly. hopefully someone on here with a manual can give you some diagrams or something. to bad there arent more sites like buykawasaki.com that breaks down every bike made including part #s. anyway..goodluck---Joe 8)

Trikeaholic
01-11-2003, 06:34 PM
well the spring being screwed up is absolutley not it. It worked before, and I did not touch the spring. When tightened down, the kicker wont return. loosen the bolts NEAR the kicker, and it works fine, Im stumped, big time.

200x Basket
01-11-2003, 06:49 PM
when i split my 250r case the counter shaft was like that. i had a gear turned backwards. that is a place to start looking.

01-11-2003, 07:28 PM
my 200x did the same thing. i had no gasket and then i made a gasket for it and it worked so i would try the gasket. it is cheap and easy .kyle

catfishwhisker
01-12-2003, 12:29 AM
I would say that it defenitly is the gasket, or lack there of. The cover is probably hitting the gears. These have very close tolerances, a few thousandths will make a big difference. When you tighten the case down, it's putting pressure on the gears and getting them in a bind. If you have part of the old gasket, measure the thickness (probably add just a little to it because it's been compressed) and go to the local parts store and try to find some gasket material about the same thickness. If worse comes to worse, you can order a new gasket, they're only $5 in the TJ Parts Express catalog.

Trikeaholic
01-12-2003, 12:52 AM
THANK YOU for confirming my suspisions. I thought I must be crazy thinking that, but Im pretty sure that is the problem. anyone who has ever had the clutch cover off one of those would have to agree, that the kicker gear doesnt have much room. Also, in my loctite catalog at work, it advised against using gasket maker "when the cut gasket is used also as a shim" soooooooo I figured that MAY be a problem once it did bind up.

4cylinders
01-12-2003, 01:11 AM
there are some sites that sell parts and have really good break downs. they can give you a price and show you how the parts should go back in.

als250
01-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Trike, for schematics I use http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/images/logo.jpg , they have part #'s also. If it's a bike that needs much work ,having a Clymers right there on the bench saves alot of time.

Al

200x Basket
01-12-2003, 08:17 AM
trike..
it will be atlest thursday before i could tear into mine. working 6am - 6pm and no warm shop to work in :(

Jeb
01-14-2003, 03:01 PM
When you get the cover off again, also keep in mind If the case is binding on the gears, you should see evidence of grooves or scratching or other signs of wear (maybe not much) if the gears or other parts are rubbing against the cases.

But then again I know absolutely nothing about a 230 Suzuki!! :shock:

djcheez
01-14-2003, 03:24 PM
i got a clymer for that thing. ill sell it for 10 bucks. good condition, i use to wrench on those things, and i believe it is your gasket, or lack there of which is causing the problem

TimSr
01-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Trikaholic, I dont know about the 230, but I can say that if you take the gasket off of the kickstarter cover of the TriZ, its enough to make the difference, and it will not return freely on its own.

350Xrider
01-14-2003, 05:59 PM
I'd almost guarantee that it is the gasket, I had a 1985 YZ 80 that did the same thing, and it had to do with the gasket. Or if you cut and made the gasket yourself, which I often times do there could be a little piece of the gasket binding on something in there it doesn't take much.

Dirtcrasher
01-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Does the shaft spin freely with the kickstart center bolt left loose and the cover tight?Maybe a thrust washer on the wrong side or something with a relief is backwards etc.? I just looked at all 3 of my kickstarted toys, when I swing them out I can grab the kicker and move that shaft in and out a good 16th of an inch or more. In other words they have a fair amount of play. My gasket on the shelf is .020 or less that a 32nd of an inch. But it could be, I would put an old gasket sandwiched in there or paper folded up enough to measure .030 then just a few screws snugged up around that area and check for the shaft to be free.

Trikeaholic
01-14-2003, 09:15 PM
the local suki mechanic told me "absolutley that is your problem, also there is an oil seal in the case that gets crushed if you torque the cover down with no gasket, and then your crank will be starved for oil"

So I bought a gasket and the seal, and that part works great now.

The thing just wont run. I suspect valve problems I knew I should have gotten a valve job. :rolleyes:

Serves me right for working on a GOLF CART!!!!!