PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Raptor.....

MO350X
12-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Hey folks!

I just returned from helping my buddy add a DMC "Alien" pipe and silencer, a DynoJet jet kit, K&N filter (and box mods) and a billet filter mount to his new Raptor.

GOOD LORD that thing is complex!
The wiring harness looks like an '89 Trans Am.
AND you have to completely dismember the quad to access the carburetorS...yes, TWO of them.
Why two?
I'm not sure, but one is basically a "primary" and the other a "secondary".
They're both jetted and configured differently AND the carbs use a vacuum-reference on their tops. Mikuni's, I believe?

The pipe is BEAUTIFUL.....stainless and the welds/bracketry are just plain art.
BUT.....it is obnoxiously loud.
He immediately called where he bought it from and ordered the "quiet pack".

It took THREE hours to install the aforementioned items.

BUT....it runs fabulous.
STRONG all over and nary a sputter or pop anywhere.
Awesome trail quad.

But I'll stick with my trikes.
I have less than 1/3 of what he has in his Raptor invested in BOTH of my trikes. WHEW!

BigGreenMachine
12-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Raptors are awsome machines, fast, lots of grunt and wonderful suspension.

I think I'd rather have a Predator though.

MO350X
12-04-2004, 08:17 PM
I hear you.

But my buddy is Yamaha through and through.

TrikeKid
12-04-2004, 09:37 PM
my cousin has one. his has an LTE pipe and i believe an airfilter along with aftermarket rims and tires and i think it has nerf bars. he hasnt brought it out yet but i would really like to ride it. I think the Raptor looks cool with one silencer coming out both sides. LTE's are expensive but look sweet.

Lomax
12-07-2004, 12:01 PM
I use to have a pair of Raptors, an 01 and an 04. They were alright but they are hard to mess with when it comes to jetting and tuning. I had a DMC one my 01 for a little while and them I stuck it on the 04.
MO350X There are 2 carbs on the Raptor because of the valve-train setup. It has a 5 valve head, 3 intake and 2 exhaust. The Secondary carb (left side if you were setting on the bike) feeds 1 valve and the Right one feeds 2. Which is really an odd deal because Fuel goes into the carb on the left, and then basically overflows into the right side carb with needs more gas in the first place. I did not like the system so mine was "fixed" with a dual-feed system.

bigred110
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
I hear you.

But my buddy is Yamaha through and through.

I read your subject.
DW loved the new Pred but they still seemed like the raptor is better.
"Pred is better trail guad" "If we were going do $500 of upgrades we would go with the raptor". I can't remeber what exactly they said but it's somewhere onlong those lines. :rolleyes:

diggerzmound
12-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Do a little researched on a non brand specific ATV site..

The Predator has many more downfalls then the Raptor..

Ride one for a day, and one of the worst will be very obvious, they are VERY uncomfortable, and very nose heavy. You constantly feel like you are gonna go over the bars..

Price aftermarket parts for the 2 bikes also, if you plan on modding your atv, you will have twice the bike for 3/4 the price..

Jetting any bike can be a complex issue, wherein once you tackle it for the first time becomes easier ever after that..

O, for maintenance isses, I'll put $100 on a "changing the sparkplug race" chances are I'll have a new plug in the Raptor riding before you even find the plug on the Predator!!

karnivore660r
12-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I use to have a pair of Raptors, an 01 and an 04. They were alright but they are hard to mess with when it comes to jetting and tuning. I had a DMC one my 01 for a little while and them I stuck it on the 04.
MO350X There are 2 carbs on the Raptor because of the valve-train setup. It has a 5 valve head, 3 intake and 2 exhaust. The Secondary carb (left side if you were setting on the bike) feeds 1 valve and the Right one feeds 2. Which is really an odd deal because Fuel goes into the carb on the left, and then basically overflows into the right side carb with needs more gas in the first place. I did not like the system so mine was "fixed" with a dual-feed system.

The carb on the left (as you are sitting on it) feeds 2 intake valves, the carb on the right feeds the 3rd intake. Thus, the carb on the left requires a larger main jet.

BTW, the LTE exhaust is a joke. Anybody who knows anything about engines knows that a dual exhaust sytem on a single cylinder engine is asinine. And don't come back and say "derr, well it has two exhaust ports, derr" It has two exhaust ports to get more flow, instead of one huge exhaust port, and they NEED to join to help flow out the exhaust more effeicently.

OldSchoolin86
12-07-2004, 03:20 PM
BTW, the LTE exhaust is a joke. Anybody who knows anything about engines knows that a dual exhaust sytem on a single cylinder engine is asinine.
I 100% agree!!!

Lomax
12-08-2004, 02:59 PM
The carb on the left (as you are sitting on it) feeds 2 intake valves, the carb on the right feeds the 3rd intake. Thus, the carb on the left requires a larger main jet.

BTW, the LTE exhaust is a joke. Anybody who knows anything about engines knows that a dual exhaust sytem on a single cylinder engine is asinine. And don't come back and say "derr, well it has two exhaust ports, derr" It has two exhaust ports to get more flow, instead of one huge exhaust port, and they NEED to join to help flow out the exhaust more effeicently.

Pic up your Clymer Manual and turn to page 170. Left carb is a 140 stock and the Right carb is a 145. That is with you setting on the bike as well. Page 165 will show you that.

karnivore660r
12-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Eh, I don't feel like looking it up, you are probably right, doesn't really matter.

MO350X
12-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Pic up your Clymer Manual and turn to page 170. Left carb is a 140 stock and the Right carb is a 145. That is with you setting on the bike as well. Page 165 will show you that.

The "DynoJet" kit we installed provided:
146 for the left and 148 for the right, if I'm not mistaken.
Softer diaphragm springs for both carbs.
MUCH more slender needles that are to be set 4 clicks down.

VERY thorough kit!

On top of that, we installed:
The billet air filter holder (VERY NICE!!).
BIG K&N filter that required numerous internal mods to the airbox to fit.
DMC Alien exhaust system with the quiet pack (Yeah, right! :rolleyes: it's OBNOXIOUS). BEAUTIFUL exhaust, though. The welds and overall construction are second-to-none stainless! :beer

She's a runner now!! :Bounce