PDA

View Full Version : Went 4wheeling & Killed a Dodge--Literally

ATC crazy
12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Very long story short:

Me and a few good friends (we created the Dixie 'Boggers 4x4 Club) go fourwheeling/camping every weekend about 30-45 minutes from my house. Its the National Forest...where the gas line runs through. There are endless miles of jeep trails, mudholes, and hillclimbs. My friends drive a '94 Toyota with 32" tires, a 2000 Jeep Wrangler also with 32's, an old Blazer (4x4 but the vaccume is messed up so its a 2wd), and me in the Aerostar. You have to drive about 8-10 miles of Jeep trails to get to the campsite....and it has been raining for the past few days (snowing the night we camped). The Aerostar made it just fine (although now wearing a fresh coat of Appalachian mud :D )

Well...my friend invited his friend who drives a 99 Dodge Ram 1500, stock lift, and 35" BFG MT's. Well...he started off real good by bragging about how much better his truck was after looking over the others.

Anyways...we go off to the hillclimbs, me riding shotgun in the Dodge. But that wasnt enough...the guy in the Dodge wanted some mud, and he wanted it badly. So, we head 10 miles south to a place we call the Silo's (WTC sized silo's :eek: ) which is littered with 44" Bogger swallowing mud holes. The first hole was fine, about 1' mud and 1' water. But the second hole is about 80' long and 4' deep. The guy in the Dodge has never been here before so he dont know about it. We tried telling him...but he just had to try and prove his truck was the best. My friend hopped in the cab with me and the driver and we got a running start at it.

About 20' in, the water was flowing over the hood and then the truck came to a sudden stop. Reverse, Forward, rocking the tires...it wouldnt budge. I opened the window an looked out. The water was only a foot below the bottom of the window!
Keep in mind that this guy hasnt had this truck for more than a week yet

He lets the truck idle in gear and the tires are spinning below the water (the water is over his 35" tires) He starts to panic. He throws a #12K tow strap to the side, and they hook it to the Jeep. At this time, the driver notices that his feet are wet. Turn on the interior lights and the water is already about an inch deep. Now he is panicing The Jeep huffs and puffs....but ends up snapping the strap without moving the truck an inch. Now there is nothing anyone can do but to try to get a tow truck out there ($$$)

The water reached the top of the brake pedal and console as we abandoned truck. All 9 of us piled into the 'Yota and Jeep and drove 1/2 mile to the main highway. After 2 hours on the phone (now 2:30AM), a truck would come in the morning.

Woke up at 9AM and headed back to the sunken truck. 4x4 Tow truck came and yanked him out. The truck was sitting on the frame come to find out. The tow truck couldnt tow the Dodge back to the main road...so he fired up the dodge at which point 10 gallons of water and white smoke continued to pour out of the Flowmasters. Engine and tranny had A LOT of water in it after checking the fluid...but he decided to drive it anyways while the tranny was making some funny noises

Got to the main road....he didnt want to pay for a roll-back so he decided to baby it to the top of the hill (2 miles) where a convient store was. I was in front, and as I looked in my mirror, I saw the tranny give way in an explosion of fluid and steam. Tow truck was behind him and now, they had to tow the truck to the top of the hill.

I chose to leave at that point...it was already late afternoon and I was tired of driving the guy around....I had stuff to do at home.

trikerider2oo7
12-13-2004, 08:31 PM
that sucks...hope he didnt give too much for the truck. bet hes mad. i know i would be

atczack
12-13-2004, 08:35 PM
That's what he get's for trying to be 'Billy Bad***' I hope you all laughed at him! :beer

YAMAHA_Jim
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Good story crazy. Sounds like a nice place to go 4 wheeling and riding.
I dont know for sure,,but i doubt theres any silos as tall as the WTC.Those babies were 110 stories.I looked up between the towers from the bottom with my own eyes and got dizzy

MTS
12-13-2004, 09:48 PM
wow good story, that guy musta been pissed , he sounds like one of my friends all talk....lol sounds like you had fun tho :)

threewheelin-feelin
12-13-2004, 11:07 PM
thats sucks but kinda funny ..since he kept driving it knowing it was full of water

Pistonhead
12-14-2004, 12:42 AM
It must **** to be him. Oh well, if you have pics send it into truck worlds stuck of the month. They also give you a superwinch acessory kit if they use your story, that way he'll have a new tow strap.

Ivant
12-14-2004, 03:47 AM
Couldnt you have done a tandem tow with the jeep and the toyota??

The terrain didnt kill the dodge just complete stupidity, and I guess he is paying for it now.

I think its always best to drive the smallest vehicle in a group because then there is always something bigger to tow you out. A properly sorted Wrangler seems right for most stuff.

wheelie king
12-14-2004, 11:57 AM
WOW. It's funny how all the horsepower and tires can't surpass man's false confidence and impulsiveness. Betcha that the driver of the dodge is one of those "my dad can beat up your dad" kinda guys, too. Sounds like it if he came right out of the chute dogging everyone else's ride.

84honda 200X
12-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Lol thats what you get for not drivein a Chevy LOL. No Dodges are ok. Man that would ****. It happened to me one time! My friends and i were muddin behind my house in my CJ3A. Its got 31's and a 4 inch lift and custom exhaust. Well i went in a beaver pond that wasnt to deep the week before but it rained and the water was up inside the cab and mud past the tires!! Then i got stuck so i stayed in the jeep and made the other guys get out and hook the winch to a tree. We got out but man were we wet when we got done.

ATC crazy
12-14-2004, 07:52 PM
but i doubt theres any silos as tall as the WTC.Those babies were 110 stories.I looked up between the towers from the bottom with my own eyes and got dizzy

I know...it was a bit of an exaggeration, but they were the largest I have ever seen.

Anyways...we couldnt hook the jeep and 'yota together. The tow strap wasnt quite long enough, so we had to loop it to a chain and then onto the Jeep. Even then, there were trees about 15' in front of the Jeep, so there was no room for the Yota to fit.

A friend did get pics of it on his cell phone, but no way to put them onto a computer to post. :wondering

The guy said that he was going to get a winch before he ever went fourwheeling again. LOL!