PDA

View Full Version : ??? Wat would u do in my shoes?

RideRed250R
12-17-2004, 11:53 PM
okay there is a dam behind my freinds house and we go swimmin in it. its a little river about 3 foot deep and u just float around nice clean water, well iam in there with a buddy were just floatin down and i go to stand up and my foot goes on this weird feelin thing so.. i look down it looks like a bike wheel so i reach down and pull it up and a dirtbike tire comes from under the sand and then i see forks and then its the WHOLE bike under water so i stand it up roll it to the bank roll it out onto the dirt look at it and its missin the cylinder, cylinder head, carb etc, but the frame shock and bottom end are there, look at the vins and they are scratched off..... well my freinds like lets take it home we can get a kx motor off ebay or junk yard iam like HELL NO! now the bike has my finger prints and my freinds prints ALL over the thing i dont know wat to do its hidden in some bushes down there i dont think anyone will find it. but should i call the cops? should i inform my parents? i dont know wat to do. i could use the bike to part out but that wouldnt BE RIGHT. so iam not going to do that. what should i do? i dont want to be jailed for the stealing of this bike!
adam

RideRed250R
12-18-2004, 12:16 AM
this ticks me off! i just got off the phone with the fullerton desk sergent and the guy took all my info then told me well since the vins are not traceable and since its been in the water they cant get any 'old" prints off of it that if i wanted to drop it off they would take care of it but if not then they might go have a officer take a look. i was Like WTF i was sittin here not even a hour ago thinking i was going to be hauled off and 250 pound bubba unwrap my package early this year and they DONT CARE? really shows how much the fullerton police department cares! my mom works for Anahiem PD and they handle every case handed to them. it just makes me upset that some guy has had his bike stolen and the cops dont care cuase its to much work and if i "drop" off the frikin bike its prolly going home with the officer who wants it as a project. GRRRR but if that was a police officers bike they would be infreezing arrowhead pond lookin for it
adam
sad world we live in were christianity is bashed all day long but a senior in HS cant pass public school with out learning muslim prayer chants **edited** the ACLU

RideRed250R
12-18-2004, 12:17 AM
last post prolly was alittle ADD but iam just upset at this juditial system of ours
adam

atczack
12-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Don't blow a vein man, if your mom work's at a P.D. why don't you tell her?

J.D.
12-18-2004, 09:11 PM
sad world we live in were christianity is bashed all day long but a senior in HS cant pass public school with out learning muslim prayer chants **edited** the ACLU

I think it's a sad world we live in when a high school senior can't show any sign of intelligence in his typing. (I am a senior in high school too, by the way.)

At any rate, I would have just taken the bike home and fixed it up. If it's been in the water, it's probably been there for a while.

Pistonhead
12-18-2004, 11:50 PM
I probably would have done the same thing too.

TrikerR
12-19-2004, 12:49 AM
for one thing you should stop being a pussy and worrying that your gonna get in trouble, i mean if the cops dont care who else will bust you...the FBI. do you what you want with it, part it out or fix it up.

okieRrider
12-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Hey guys don't bash him, he did the right thing by telling the police about what he found and if it were your bike that he found you'd be thankful he went through the trouble to report it. If an officer shows up to look at it show it to him and then ask the question " What now?" can I keep it? If the answer is yes then good for you, you have a new project. It is kinda crappy that they don't have anymore interest in it than they do, but i'm sure there they have a lot more on there plate than a bike that has been buried in a pond for who knows how many years.......Chris

renotrikeguy
12-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Isn't it a common policy that if someone finds an item and turns it into the local law enforcement, That after 30 days if no one claims it, ,the reporting party gets to keep it? Thats the way it's always been in California.

But if the local Law guys don't want to deal with it then i'd keep it and do something with it myself.

jakey
12-19-2004, 05:33 PM
WHOA MAN, stay calm. This is not a big deal. Its your bike now, if nobody has mentioned a stolen bike to the police then somebody might have just trashed because they were tired of working on it. I know we've got atleast a dozen vehicles behind our house they we just left there cause they are a P.O.S. Well actually I wouldn't mind having the 67 chevy logging truck...(its a monster)...okay sorry i got sidetracked. What kind of bike is it anyways?

3 weelin geezer
12-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Dude, did you find the rider in the water too? If you didn't steal it, what are you worried about? They can tell if it was you or not and if you really found it. Its not like they can pull up paint chip records or do a oil dna test on it to see who it belongs to. Without a vin how can they possibly tell who it belongs to? Murders and robberies must take priority to a this needle in a haystack. What does this have to do with christianity anyways? I once found a go ped in the desert and took it home. I ended up breaking the engine trying to remove a stubborn bolt then my dad showed me how to break them free with a chisel. He gave it away to some guy from mexico when he saw the hole I put in the bottom of the engine. It was missing a few parts and the vin but I think it would have run.

RideRed250R
12-20-2004, 01:19 AM
first of all mom works at ANAHEIM P.D bike is in fullerton, second iam not being a P*SSY iam sorry i want a clean record, and third like okierider said u would be happy if it was your bike, i dont believe it would be cool to just take it home and now its mine, cause first of all how am I going to get a red sticker for it???? dah! then i cant take it in to register it 'prolly stolen" and then i would get screwed over for not turning it in.
adam

ClayW
12-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I dont know about the Red sticker stuff. But man lighten up. Hell for all you know someone could have dumped it there because they were moving or something. They cant do anything to you. Even if it was stolen. How the hell are you suppose to know. I would just take the thing home and clean it up. Start fixin it up. Your worrying about stuff you cant control, and dont know anything about (history of bike). Im sure the previous owner Does not want it back after being in a dang creek for no telling how long. Anyway. I found a pistol in a papersack in the woods next not too far from my house when I was a kid. All we did, was call the cops and ask had anyone reported a pistol being stolen. They said no. THey said that if it was not reported stolen within 30 days it was mine. Nobody did, So I kept it. Thats been 15yrs ago. Still have it. And still shoot it. :D I feel that my and your responsibility is very limited. We found it. We reported it, We didnt steal it, dump it, or junk it. We just found it.

TimSr
12-20-2004, 02:19 PM
first of all mom works at ANAHEIM P.D bike is in fullerton, second iam not being a P*SSY iam sorry i want a clean record, and third like okierider said u would be happy if it was your bike, i dont believe it would be cool to just take it home and now its mine, cause first of all how am I going to get a red sticker for it???? dah! then i cant take it in to register it 'prolly stolen" and then i would get screwed over for not turning it in.
adam

Dont let people beat you up for using your head and doing the right thing, and the sensible thing.

It is not likely the original owner decided to grind off serial numbers and throw it in a pond. Its more than likely stolen. Its always smart to report it before putting money and work into restoring it, and end up getting it taken, while you face criminal charges. You did the smart thing to report it. You are not obligated to haul it to any police department. If they are unwilling to investigate, look at it, or get it, make sure you ask for an incident report or a something on paper from the police that shows you reported it. In its current state, yes the original owner probably would not want it, but that does not give you legal ownership until he either gives it to you, or it is declared unclaimed or abandoned. Its current value is not relevant. If it was stolen, it is evidence, and could very well be evidence in other crimes as well. Ill remind everyone that when I caught the punk who stole my quad and trashed it, the first thing he said was that he "found it". If you find it, claim it, and take it home without reporting it, dont expect anyone to believe you either.

I suggets you call them back again, tell them if they have no interets in it, and dont plan to recover it, that you would like to take it home, and you would like some kind of record that shows you reported it. Then you have covered yourself.

Ace Mon
12-20-2004, 03:07 PM
First of all , I have had 2 bikes get stolen and 1 truck . Calling the feds was very commendable . I dont know why you thought you were gunna get fingered as the perp , but its all good . One of My bikes turned up at the person I yold the police was a shady character who was suspect #1 . They told me that they had no proof she stold it . It was just in her garage . I was like WTF ??????? Thats not the whole story though . The police dint contact me about the bike . A local towyard for the P.D. did . They told me "We have your bike , if you pay towing and storage you can come get it . " I was stoked . I asked them how much . the answer to my amazement was $900.00 . Then I was again like WTF ??????? They told me , "Yeah we've had it for 45 days . " I didnt have the cash . I asked them If my goldwing still had the farring saddlbags and trunk which were verey expensive . They said it did and the ignition wasnt punched . I went on and told them how costly they were and asked if they could cut me a deal because it was stolen . They said NOPE . Then I asked them If they wanted the keys for the bike , farringpockets , saddlebags , and trunk. Of course they said yes . Then I told them well, go funk yourself you underhanded shady arse towyard . Youre as bad as the piece of crap that stole it in the firstplace.Turning in thieves is commendable to say the least . Youre a good man .

rustbucket
12-20-2004, 11:36 PM
first of all there is usually more than one place for a serial number usually they are on the triple tree and the bottom end. Also if its an old bike look at the back fender some states had the orv tags with numbers on them which are traceable