PDA

View Full Version : bows

TrikerR
12-25-2004, 11:10 AM
hi i am looking to get a my own bow. i have had little experience with them but i would just like something pretty basic for target and a little hunting. could you guys recommend something

BIGCRIP28
12-25-2004, 12:24 PM
if you looking for a new bow, bowtech or mathews are top of the line.
just the bow is about 500-700 bucks though.
you could get a used one setup already for a few hundred.

OldSchoolin86
12-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Go to your local bow/archery shop. For beginers they are a great place to pick a nice used bow and a professional could help match one to your needs. Doesn't sound like you need a top of the line model. I've had a few over the years and my advice would be to pick up a nice used one for around $100. I payed $50 for my last one and still can group my arrows better then my buddies that payed the big bucks. This bow makes a slight creak when you draw back though so it's not too good for hunting but it's great for practice. Animals will detect the slightest sound. The more you pay the better balanced, quieter, and the more let-off you'll get. I just never needed it.

Quickonstep
12-25-2004, 02:59 PM
martins are nice, pse's are nice.. i personally prefer onida eagles (i own 2) its sorta a longbow/compound bow, 75 lbs pull 30 inch draw 70% letoff, one of the smoothest, nicests bows i have ever shot.. would defaintly be worth the couple hundered invested to get one

Jesse

Pistonhead
12-25-2004, 03:06 PM
A PSE nova is a great starters bow, I've been using one for a few years for hunting, they are pretty accurate if your arm is strong, and they are rock solid. I'd say go to the local archery shop to look around and find whats right for you. I've always loved the mathews solocam bows, they are rock solid and have all the goodies. Just remember with bows, guns, and most other things what you get is about equal to what you pay. A good high quality bow is a worthy investment if you plan to hunt with it.

Dan Tenn
12-27-2004, 12:53 PM
martins are nice, pse's are nice.. i personally prefer onida eagles (i own 2) its sorta a longbow/compound bow, 75 lbs pull 30 inch draw 70% letoff, one of the smoothest, nicests bows i have ever shot.. would defaintly be worth the couple hundered invested to get one

Jesse

Jesse, Im suprised you like the eagles, or maybe you have never shot a matthews. I used to use an Eagle 2. It was very accurate, but it is big, loud and heavy. I switched to a matthews and its the quietest thing ive ever heard shot, has better let-off, and weighs half as much. I start shooting in August and shoot about 20 arrows every other day. After the first two weeks, I quit shooting at 20 yards because I keep ruining the fletchings on my arrows due to putting arrows on top of each other. Id say go for a used set up in the $300 range. Thats cheap considering a new bow alone is $600-700 plus the accessories and new arrows etc. will cost at least $200. Its very easy to blow $1000 on a new top of the line fully equpped bow these days.

Quickonstep
12-27-2004, 01:02 PM
ive never had any problems with the eagle.. ive killed many deer with it and dont have a problem with it being heavy.. but then again i have never shot a matthews... the only thing i would change about the onida's is the fact that they are big... i dont have silencers on it and havnt had em on there for a few years.. a slight thump is all you really hear.

Jesse

83200e
12-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Listen to oldschoolin and go to a pro shop.Even if you don't buy it there,they can tell you what draw length you need,which arrows, and teach you some basics before you develop bad shooting habits.I don't keep up with the latest bows,but I have a Martin and a Browning and haven't had any problems with either.

chris200x
12-27-2004, 03:54 PM
I agree with Quickonstep I've got an Aeroforce One and I love it. Limbsavers sells alot of accesories to queit them down. If ya learn to shoot one of these bows you can shoot anything.

Quickonstep
12-27-2004, 04:06 PM
http://oneidaeaglebows.com/images/rwb.jpg

They are very unique, but if you can shoot one, you can shoot anything

Jesse

chris200x
12-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Nice one. mine is a green and black camo paid $125 two years ago used. Do you use that thing for hunting or just target. They are a good bow to learn on

Dan Tenn
12-27-2004, 04:55 PM
For target, anything that shoots consistently is good. Doesnt matter if their loud or gigantic. I hunt with mine and silence is key to getting a second shot, and even a first shot if it makes noise on the drawback. There is no way in hell that I would ever get a second shot with my oneida. But just like anything else, you need to purchase within your budget. My Oneida shot great but was loud and heavy. I got lucky and got my Matthews two years used for a steal. I personally would never spend a grand on a bow, but this was a deal I couldnt pass up. Once you shoot one of the top of line bows, its hard to go back.

And just like what was said before, go to a reputable bow shop and have them help you set it up. That is probably the single most important thing besides practice practice practice.

jakey
12-28-2004, 01:26 PM
If you are just starting out I would personally say do not go to a pro shop. Head on down to the local Dick's Sporting Goods and pick up a Mathews or other quality brand that is already set up with quiver, arrows, and everything u need to shoot. You can pick up a ready to shoot bow for about 400 there. The only advice I give to you is do not be pulled in by these new fancy bows that are about 30 inches cam to cam. The longer the bow you purchase the more forgiving they are and more arcurate you will be. The smoothest shooting bow I have ever shot is an old XI, I can group better with that thing than I can my Hoyt HavocTec. IF you feel you really want a nicer bow, I'd say pick up a Hoyt, They are the quietest most solid bows I have shot. I dropped this thing off the tree stand went down and got just to pick it up and shoot fine. Bow hunting is kinda my other thing besides 3 wheelers. lol

atcmatt
12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
I have a bear bow. It has served me pretty well for about 3 years now although it is a little on the small side now. It is a great sport, bowhunting and i wish i still had a ton of enthusiasm for it. Its a shame i got out of it, one day ill get the old bow out and take it for a prowl around the paddocks and see what falls victim of the old davies tipped woddies.

Matt