PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha is some tough stuff too...

hondaATCman
12-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Well, I've been a big fan of Yamaha's here lately, especially when it comes to racing products and I've always hear stories like "My Honda sat for 10 years, pulled it out of the garage and rebuilt the carb, now it runs like new"

Well Honda is pretty tough, especially the old ones like the ATC's and the Fourtrax series. Anyways, I picked up a 1989 Yamaha Riva 50 moped today for free. It had been sitting outside in the weather for 13 years unstarted. Nothing was wrong with it when it was parked, the owner died and he left behind this scooter, a CJ-5 Jeep, and a Thunderbird with only 20,800 miles on it which it now rusted in the ground!!

I took it back to my garage, took the gas tank off and drained it. Man, the gas was so bad and rank...it looked like straight piss. The fuel line and petcock was clogged with gum, it took 10 min. to get them looking like new. Then I took the carb apart, expecting to find a mess. When I took the bowl off, it was so clean i would drink out of it! None of the jets were clogged or blocked and the float was moving freely, not stuck. I put all this back together and put some fresh gas in it, put it on choke and it started on the first kick!! It even idles perfect, no bogging or hestitation at all. Literally runs like new. To me thats some tough stuff. So anyway, I feel like I got a pretty good deal...an excellent running moped that I have $0 in. I'm turning more into a Yamaha man everyday!! :D :D

Oh, by the way, this moped only has 320.8 miles on it!!!

Bill X_R
12-29-2004, 01:59 PM
That is amazing....but you might want to change the oil? Or do they they not need it

hondaATCman
12-29-2004, 07:11 PM
These models were little 49cc 2-strokes, but they do have transmission oil. I'm going to check into that this evening. I know there's some in there, I checked before I ever ran it, but it probably has lost its viscosity over the years.

MTS
12-29-2004, 07:12 PM
thats a pretty sweet find ....them little scooters are a blast lol

YTZ250#1
12-30-2004, 12:28 AM
I think you need to put a big bore kit on it.lol

hondaATCman
12-31-2004, 01:01 AM
I think you need to put a big bore kit on it.lol

Where can I get one at?? :D :D Oh, I also found out today that it is a 1988 model, not an '89. And I'm gonna bump up the total I have spent on it up to $3.83 (I bit the bullet and bought new fuel lines, the originals looked pretty cracked and dry-rotted)

Yamahauler
12-31-2004, 01:11 AM
I'm gonna bump up the total I have spent on it up to $3.83 (I bit the bullet and bought new fuel lines, the originals looked pretty cracked and dry-rotted)

Dont go to crazy on it know, you dont want to get to far into this project and find out theres something wrong with it :p