PDA

View Full Version : Another Trouble Topic " Fouled Plugs"

MustangChris
10-15-2002, 11:35 PM
Seems like I can ride all day long then I have to change the plug. Isn't the plug suppose to last alot longer? I run 70:1 with syn. oil and it doesn't smoke unless I wrap out 5th gear.

Other thing I have I think is a problem is: It looks to me that I have a weak spark coming from the plug? You can barely see it at all, isn't it suppose to be a nice bolt of electricity?

jeswinehart
10-16-2002, 06:16 AM
yeah, you're right MustangChris. it should be a blue arc, kind you can see in daylight. i agree also, even in a 2 stroker you should get more the a day of ride out of it.
maybe start simple like checking/cleaning coil leads and any other wires that might be getting corrosion build up.
if you post as to what kind of machine you have some of the other folks will probbly have detailed check points they can have you try.

john

MustangChris
10-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Oh its a 84 Kaw. Tecate.

When did somewhat oh a rebuild on it I cleaned the coils and the magnets and slap it all back together. I can see the spark but I just think its very bright.

tecatecrazy
10-16-2002, 08:42 PM
hey mustang I also have an '84 tecate and I have the same problems with spark that you have and i have an ignition system and total engine rebuild with less than 15 hours on both. The guy I bought it from told me to go and buy a box of spark plugs when I picked it it up. I have noticed that the more it sits and idles the better the chances of it fouling out. If you find a good solution be sure to post it and maybe it will help me as well.

MustangChris
10-16-2002, 10:46 PM
What ratio of oil to gas do you use?

tecatecrazy
10-16-2002, 11:00 PM
I run about 80:1 with suzuki oil and use champion plugs. Someone posted on an other topic to use splitfire plugs, but man that seems like a pretty expensive fix especially if they dont last that much longer. This will be the next thing that I look into. It seems that I find something new about every other day that the prvious owner rigged up and started giving me problems :evil: :evil: :x :x ---joe

MustangChris
10-17-2002, 12:34 AM
I'll try to stop by tomorrow and get a split fire for it and see if that helps. I guess I will try to lower the oil to 80:1 and see if that can cure my fouling out.

sandtowd
10-17-2002, 12:48 AM
go back to an NGK plug. heres somthing that will help your spark, but is not the cure. those bikes are known for there bad stators. check out nology.com. they make a wire HOT WIRE. it has a capacitor in it. so you get a much hotter spark. there around $50.00 you may have to call them to find out everything. they do have them from 2 strokes. you can also get a coil
i think about 80.00? i have the wire on 2 250r,s they work.

3WheelHouston
10-17-2002, 02:02 AM
My friend had a KX 250 and he was constantly changing plugs. He always had to change one if he didn't "run it hard enough." He had to ride in a low gear and run higher rpm's so that it wouldn't foul on the mini track we were riding together. So maybe if you ran it a little harder that would help? Try keeping your revs up and see if that does any good.

TimSr
10-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Here are some generalities that may help you: Plug fouling is caused by incomplete burning of fuel. The most common causes, not in order are:

Too much oil to gas. (certainly not your problem)
Airflow problems such as clogged air filter or restricted exhaust.
Insufficient spark.
Insufficeint compression.
Carburetion too rich. (too much fuel to air)

The history is helpful too. For example if it used to fine and the problem recently developed, look at items that normally wear out or fail over time, and dont waste your time monkeying with carb settings.

Also plugs can be cleaned and reused once you get the deposits off the insulater around the center electrode. One of those $8 12v plug cleaners out of JC Whitney will pay for itself very quickly. I got one of those sandblast guns you fill with a few cups of sand for $25 and a bag of play sand for $4 and have cleaned and reused scores of plugs.

Tri-Z_Jim
10-17-2002, 10:07 PM
I have had plugs last for 5 or 6 yrs.If your carb is tuned right and everything else is OK a plug should last that long.I have taken fouled plugs from a trx and put them in my blaster and it fired right up,,,then i would give it back after it was cleaned.80cc 2strokes are good for cleaning fouled plugs also. Its hard to say why your fouling a plug a day.i need to see your machine to give you a better answer

Tri-Z_Jim
10-17-2002, 10:11 PM
......i also had a 90kx250 that would run all day in 1st gear and idle around the woods and not foul plugs.1 tooth smaller sprocket in front and a Stealy 13oz flywheelweight and a few other woods racing mods.

Tecate performance
12-29-2002, 03:06 AM
Dude you have one of the most notorious problems with tecates. Your stator windings are breaking down. Send your stator to RickyStator.com for a rebuild.

Mike Fort Laud
12-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Screw NGK plugs My 250R hates them... Champion plugs in every motor I build or own.