PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Quads

ATC777
01-05-2005, 04:59 PM
I was wondering if Polaris 350 4X4 Quads are good bikes? Are there any known problems with them etc? The reason is that I have a chance to pick one up to do the work on the farm. I just don't want to pour a bunch of money into it. All the plastics are good, no cracks, and just a little faded. It has front, rear racks, and a trailer hitch. The engine turns over and seems to be tight. The key may be lost, and the hole it goes in is messed up. The rest of it is complete. It does need a new battery. I'm not yet sure of the exact year, but I believe mid-late 90's. Thanks for all your help.

John

Dan Tenn
01-05-2005, 05:49 PM
If its mid-90's, check to see if the front is chain or shaft drive. The chain drive fronts tended to eat sprockets. I would also stay away from the later 4-strokes too. Ive heard bad things about them. Their two-strokes are good. Ive got a 2001 400 Xplorer. It was the last two stroke 4X4 made I think (scramblers too I guess, but mine is a utility quad).

wheelie king
01-05-2005, 09:09 PM
I personally do not like polaris at all. I have also spent much time on my employer's Polaris Expedition 325 and it, well.........it is a crappy bike. There is just no other way to say it. The only polaris that I ride with is a guy that has a 2002 2wd sportsman 500. It is quick, but sometimes unreliable. i towed him home twice because of some phantom electrical problem that the dealer supposedly "fixed" times now.

However, it depends on how cheap you can get it. If you can get it running and pick it up for a couple hundred bucks, it can say polaris on that sucker in neon lights-- I'd buy it if the price was right.

ATC777
01-05-2005, 10:09 PM
The guy says he wants 400 dollars. Is that too much for it? What do you guys think? Thanks again,

John

Kook
01-06-2005, 04:09 PM
I have had exactly the opposite experience with Polaris as Wheelie King. I have never had trouble with my Scrambler and my friend who has three (two utility and a scrambler) has also never had an issue. Just like any make, you can have trouble or not. $400.00 seems quite reasonable if the quad is all that you say it is.

Wickedfinger
01-06-2005, 05:52 PM
.... sounds a bit too low to me - make sure you go over that thing with a fine tooth comb. If hes asking that little, that key issue isn't its only one. I'd look for a bent or cracked and repaired frame (not that Polarises are known for them) or something else major.

GrizzTorque
01-07-2005, 07:12 PM
How long's it been sitting?

Blown 331
01-08-2005, 09:28 AM
My dad has had a couple Trail Boss 250's. Biggest pieces of junk ever. He still has one and I won't even ride it because I know it will break.

Pistonhead
01-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Heres the polaris rule of thumb:
Newer Polaris: (like 95 and up)= pretty good
Older Polaris: Its an acronym for pull off lake and repair in spring.

ATC777
01-10-2005, 09:50 PM
I spoke to the guy who is selling it. He said it had carburator issues, when he parked it two years ago. I know the original owners, he bought it from, and will talk to them also, before I decide to buy it. I would be the 3rd owner. Thanks for all your imput and help. :D

Wickedfinger
01-10-2005, 10:33 PM
... if you decide to get it .... look on eBay for a good 34mm carb. There are always a few on there for pretty cheap from Scrambler 400 owners (like myself) who have upgraded to 38mmTMX flatsliders. The motors are basically the same except for the bore so it should bolt right on.

wanta86r
01-10-2005, 11:37 PM
i have had very good experience with the polaris 4X4- i had a 1994 400L that i abused harshly on a daily basis year round and it never gave me any troubles. i sold mine 4 years ago for 1000 bucks, and it was in very poor looking cond but still operated fine. Im a honda guy but i think polaris makes a great 4X4- id buy it

PowerTrike
01-11-2005, 12:26 AM
My dad has had a couple Trail Boss 250's. Biggest pieces of junk ever. He still has one and I won't even ride it because I know it will break.

How so? I was suspicious of the older 250s at first before but I'm kinda liking mine so far after fixing a PITA electrical problem and going through the carb. Usually starts first pull at 0*... I've browsed a few other forums and found that some people actually prefer the older 2 stroke 250s than the newer ones because they make more power and are pretty reliable. However, I hear they wear slightly faster because they can rev higher.

Wickedfinger
01-11-2005, 06:04 PM
The older 250's actually were rocketships - they had 30hp from the factory. Polaris upped the performance on the motor by bolting on a 38mm carb, by putting some pretty radical porting on the jug and by giving them a higher performance pipe. They did this as a stop gap until the bigger 350L motor was ready in 1990. The newer 250 is anemic compared to it. From AAENS web page:
This engine has great potential and a long history. The 250 engine was the first Polaris product and it's mainstay in the early years. As the demand for more power became more pressing, Polaris came out with hotter versions of this engine. This effort peaked in the late 80's when the Cyclone model arrived with a 38mm carb, a much modified cylinder porting and a higher revving pipe. This model pumped out over 30 HP but was only around for a few years as a stop gap until Polaris introduced the larger liquid cooled 350 two stroke motor, which then evolved into the 400 engine. With the larger liquid cooled engines now taking care of the top of the line, Polaris has detuned the 250 down to it's present stage. Today the 250 cylinders have much smaller ports and a 30mm carburator combined with a low revving pipe. The output of todays 250 Trailblazer is 22 HP at 5250 RPM, a very conservative figure compared to the earlier Cyclone models which pulled over 30 HP.

ATC777
01-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Are the 350's good motors? This is a 350 4x4, just not sure of the year yet.

Blown 331
01-12-2005, 01:08 PM
My dad had an 88 250 and still has an 89 250,and my neighbor has an 87 far from a rock ship. I think my ATC200 could take them all in a drag.

My dad has had to rebuild them both, one needed a crank. Front hubs have torn out many times. Clutch problems, starter problems, problems with the shafts that turn the front sprockets. A-arms stripping out, completely rediculous. I live in an area with quite a few farmers and about all have Polaris's. All junk, even the new ones.

OldSchoolin86
01-12-2005, 02:36 PM
All junk, even the new ones.
Trust me the newer ones are not junk. I used to sell them in the mid 90's. It was right after then they were starting to get their act together. It was disgusting how many would be back within a month for warranty. It was easily 75% of the new ones that went out the door, anything from junk motors to simple bearings. I'm still freinds with the guy I worked for and and even he'll say it isn't like that anymore.

Blown 331
01-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Maybe the brand new ones are ok but all of the Polaris's I have been in contact with are exactly like you are describing them when you worked there. When we first got them I really liked Polaris now I hate them.

straight pipe
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
i am with trackshare.com i'll ask the polaris guys. they all breathe 4x4's get back to ya later.or i'll post the question in the polaris quad forum and you can view the results for yourself.

straight pipe
01-12-2005, 05:38 PM
i posted it......now we wait.

Wickedfinger
01-12-2005, 07:57 PM
I live in an area with quite a few farmers and about all have Polaris's. All junk, even the new ones.Whoa, whoa - now I'm starting to take offense - Define "Junk" there "Rustang" boy. I'll tell you what, bring that 450R to Trikefest 5, and I'll show you what a "Junk" a 57hp Polaris is capable of.

MTS
01-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Whoa, whoa - now I'm starting to take offense - Define "Junk" there "Rustang" boy. I'll tell you what, bring that 450R to Trikefest 5, and I'll show you what a "Junk" a 57hp Polaris is capable of.
i think he is refering to the sportsmans, which by far do not hold up on a farm well not well at ALL.....lol

Dan Tenn
01-13-2005, 12:47 PM
i think he is refering to the sportsmans, which by far do not hold up on a farm well not well at ALL.....lol

Are you guys talking from knowledge, or just from what you've heard form "my cousins, best freinds, girlfreinds, moms lover"? Hearsay is garbage. I think unless youve owned one there is no reason to comment. I've owned many a polaris, and liked the old and new two-strokes, and also liked the new 4-strokes.

hrc85250r
01-15-2005, 03:45 AM
i have had 2 400l's one being a 94 and the other a 96' beat the 94 to hell, rolled it 4 times end for end in a field, had it for 7 years, never bent anything, never had any serious problems other than the starter always needing to be rebuilt from mud/water all the time in it...the 96' i got from a local dealer in many pieces when the owner never paid for anything, i got it for 500$ with a spent piston, i rebuilt the top end, and sold it for 2000$ the following weekend along with the 94' for 1500, like i said i have had no problems and if in good condition, the two strokes sell good too and hold their value if taken care of...believe it or not there are quite a few people looking for the ole' 400l's and other 400's( they keep up with the 600 twins easily), my friend also has one of the 435 four strokes and he beat the crap outta that, never had any serious problems other than carb issues, but nothing major....i see a lot of the 335's and whatnot around some of them rather old, dont seem to have many problems cause they stick around for quite a while, cant be too bad of a quad....sounds like a deal...

yater
01-15-2005, 01:53 PM
I did the polaris thing in the mid 90s and they SUCK!! I absolutely HATE polaris. The dealer was actually good because they felt bad for me buying such lemons (2). I don't care what they've done since then, I would never give them another chance. I think they should at least be priced cheaper than the jap manufacturers but that's not the case these days. You couldn't pay me to be seen on another polaris! Oh--and wickedfinger, I know you love your scrammy and I'm sure it's fast, but you gotta know where I'm coming from--not bashing you or your ride but I've paid my dues on this one

Wickedfinger
01-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh--and wickedfinger, I know you love your scrammy and I'm sure it's fast
You're right ..... and it is.

MTS
01-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Are you guys talking from knowledge, or just from what you've heard form "my cousins, best freinds, girlfreinds, moms lover"? Hearsay is garbage. I think unless youve owned one there is no reason to comment. I've owned many a polaris, and liked the old and new two-strokes, and also liked the new 4-strokes.
yes i have used Repaird and drove the one on the farm for 3 years, it sucks, there has been numerous problems with it, includin the 4x4 that never wants to work when you want it too, now i have to admit it probly needs to go to a dealer and have a 1 through on it cuze it was rolled last year and has gone down hill since, but even befor that there was problmes with the 4x4 wont start in cold worth a crapola, the axel boots constantly rip on it....i dont know it just dosnt seem that great of quad to me, and there way to damed heavy-ever try and pull a sportsman 500 out of 3 feet of mud becuse the 4x4 didnt work when it should have in the middle of a field? , it SUCKS and thems are my rants there is more but i would be hear all day lol :rolleyes: of course this is my opinion and experiance with them, maby i just have bad luck :mad:

wheelie king
01-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately for Polaris, I also speak from experience. My employer owns a fleet of polaris expedition 325s, and they are pretty sorry bikes. Every last one of them is hard to start, and kinda cheap feeling. I'm just telling it how I see it. As said before, I also requently ride with a guy that has a sportsman 500, and when it runs, it is great. I am just an old school kinda guy as far as atvs goes, and I think that polaris lacks the quality and engineering that keeps a bike (like a Honda, Suzuki, or even Yamaha) going for decades.

hrc85250r
01-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately for Polaris, I also speak from experience. My employer owns a fleet of polaris expedition 325s, and they are pretty sorry bikes. Every last one of them is hard to start, and kinda cheap feeling. I'm just telling it how I see it. As said before, I also requently ride with a guy that has a sportsman 500, and when it runs, it is great. I am just an old school kinda guy as far as atvs goes, and I think that polaris lacks the quality and engineering that keeps a bike (like a Honda, Suzuki, or even Yamaha) going for decades.

i thik polaris quads are somewhat over engineered in some aspects, thats why some parts on them fail with nothing causing it, just plain crap the bed because they were engineered to be on the edge (being the most cost effective for production using cheap imported parts and low quality material) the older ones did lack some quality, but the newer ones are much better such as the new twins and whatnot--look at the quality put into the predator, really high up next to 250r's--look at the cyclone, piece of crap not even comparable which used the same engineering aspects as its later counterparts up to the mid-late 90's so unless they are meticulously maintained you will have many problems and they will stack up with no doubt....

wheelie king
01-16-2005, 10:30 AM
I perhaps should have said that they were poorly engineered- meaning that specific components could be over OR under engineered. I definitely see what you mean though. I think it is too bad, really. Again, just my opinion.

Wickedfinger
01-16-2005, 01:50 PM
.. well since I'm just plain worn out from trying to defend Polaris to the "everybodys an expert" masses who jump on the bashing bandwagon over the past 9 years - I've decided to give up, sell my Scrambler and become a monk. I'm also retiring from defending DG performance as well. I have never, ever heard exactly why Polaris's are junk from anybody - they just keep saying they are, for whatever reason so I guess I just have to believe them - like a sheep. Let me just say this though - I've owned over 20 ATV's in my lifetime - I've had the very best that was out there at the time - from Banshees to 250R's to LT250R's to Tri-Z's. I've owned some of the most suposedly "reliable" ATV's of all time including a Warrior, a 200S, 185S, ATC125M, ATC90, Several ATC200X's, YTM225DX, ATC70's, ATC350X - the list can go on - I can honestly say without a doubt that I have had a problem with ALL of them from one time or another. If Polaris's were such junk - why would I own one?.

REDMAN225
01-16-2005, 02:27 PM
i'm with you wicked. until someone manufactures a sportier 4x4, i'll stick with my scrambler. i love this machine and i've ridden just about all the new quads out there. and at least polaris updates their quads consistantly almost every year.

jeswinehart
01-16-2005, 03:34 PM
well i gotta trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro too about polaris quads. that 1999 explorer the wife rides ,,, the one she bought new ,,, i had to put a new plug in it last weekend !
imagine that ,,, she has swampped it, stuck it to the hilt in snow drifts and various other abuses only a women left alone with it could do to a machine and the original plug only lasted 5 plus years ! terrible ,,, just terrible.
i hate working on quads.

john

MTS
01-16-2005, 04:31 PM
haha that pic is great john, but in all siriousness im sure the scrammy is a stand up quad and all, im just saying i havent had many good experiances with the sportsman500H.O.....i dunno i think im cursed LOL

wheelie king
01-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Gosh there, Wikedfinger.
Guess some of the posts struck a nerve with you. Why are you guys so defensive? If you love yours that much, ignore others' OPINIONS and ignore the naysayers. Remember that opinons are like ***holes- everyone has them, and most of them stink.
All I did was share my experience with polaris, which as indicated, has been extremely negative. Maybe I have had bad luck. Never claimed to be an "expert" :rolleyes: So touchy.
I really enjoy this ride on the "bandwagon" ---(WTF??? :rolleyes: ) For a second there I thought this board was about sharing opinions and experiences. Too bad that it may hurt some feelings in the process. :cry: Grow some (thicker) skin, it can get cold out there in that big world.

Wickedfinger
01-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Bravo, bravo - you really took me to school and told me ... no my friend ... If you had spent as many years as I have on this board and others listening too everybodys .... (how did you so exquisitely use that so slappingly hilarius, heavily overused saying that you can find on every shop wall in the 50 states) ..... uninformed opinion about Polaris, you would get tired of hearing it too. Again, for the second time - define "Sucks?". Tell me something specific thats underengineered on them or defective about them that can be held over the ENTIRE Polaris line other than broad-based statements like:
well.........it is a crappy bike. There is just no other way to say it. and
It is quick, but sometimes unreliable and
I perhaps should have said that they were poorly engineered and
i towed him home twice because of some phantom electrical problem that the dealer supposedly "fixed" times now.
At least you made an attempt at zeroing in on something vaguely specific with this one:
Every last one of them is hard to start, and kinda cheap feeling and I'd have to counter that with "ever owned a ATC200X?". I have no problem with people giving their opinion on something they actually know about or can at the very least give some sort of usable information other than "they suck". Broad statements like that need some backing up. Hell, I like them and I can list more specific "issues" than have yet in one line - tierod ends wear out prematurely, weak starters and bendix's (BTW they are made in Japan by Denso, who also provides all the other manufacturers with their starters), can throw a chain on a hard landing. Allow me to give you a little "opinion" of my own - I'd worry about actually getting some useful post time in (as well as some seat time and actual "wrenching time" ) and develop some sort of reputation around here before you try and give an opinion or go toe to toe with one of the big dogs my friend. Oh and Remember, I never mentioned you specifically in any post - you made it personal.

wheelie king
01-17-2005, 10:24 AM
I was simply addressing you because of your obvious resentment of people disliking polaris- for whatever reason they choose. Wasn't trying to get too "personal"
For example: I work for a government agency. This government agency has 11 polaris quads, purchased on a grant that are meticulously maintained due to the demand put on them. They are "crappy" (maybe a poor choice of words) in my opinion for simple reasons like;
plastic brake handles that have cracked
rear brake pads that must be made of cardboard for how long they lasted
hard, very cold natured starting. Sits more than 2 hrs, and they dont wanna crank. Yes, all 11 of them.
Poor headlight mounting that shows heavy vibration and produces a strobe effect on what you are trying to view.
Very rigid and low radius steering.
Also please note that I am just on old school guy that belives that steel is better than plastic in osme places.

Ok. those are some of my observations which assisted in formulating my OPINION of Polaris. The sportman 500 belongoing to my friend/neighbor/riding buddy is his second, and he swears his LAST. I did not know how to describe it but yes, a phantom electrical problem meaning that it just would not start, not turn over or anything sometimes, and even just die while running-for no apparent reason. Almost like someone hit the kill switch. Been to the dealer 3 plus time and they cannot duplicate the problem and have not given him a straight answer of even what it could be.

All of that combined with the fact that I was one of the unfortunate ones who had one of those "early 90s bikes", Those are the reasons why I do not like polaris, and sure, without going on a rant like that above, I will just sum it up and say that I think it "sucks" Ok? Is it based on scientific direct comparisons and testing of Polaris against other brands? No. Basically, just a bad taste in my mouth about polaris in general. True I only have experience with 3 models, and although you may think it unfair, it is that on which I formulate my opinion. I, little old me, just happens not to like Polaris.

I was only questioning your attitude because people posted their opinions, however lacking in explanation that they are, and it was obvious that you did not like it. You just seem so angry and spiteful. Life is too short to worry about crap like that, man. My point is simply that if someone posted how they thought that Honda or Yamaha bikes all "suck" or whatever, I would ignore it. Why? because to me, they do not suck. And that is all that is important.

Wickedfinger
01-17-2005, 01:49 PM
I work for a government agency.
Never mind, I should have known better .........
You sure were able to list problems after I called you on it. If you had listed them like that from your first post, ATC777 might have had something to actually "chew" on other than "crappy" and "suck". Whatever the case - I have explained myself and my "attitude" in this post and made it quite clear as to why I have it - let me sum it up since you "work for the government" and I don't want you wasting anymore of my taxes on reading this - people love to make broad statements on here without any backing, or experience with what they are talking about. Unfortunately its a fact that I can't really control without an "educated" response.
My point is simply that if someone posted how they thought that Honda or Yamaha bikes all "suck" or whatever, I would ignore it. Why? because to me, they do not suck. And that is all that is important. I could see that point if the post was by me, extolling on Polaris's virtues and putting them up on a shelf above all others - the problem is, it wasn't. The guy was looking for some "helpful" opinions in this post - the first 2 responses I made were "helpful". The third response was "informative". In between that .... as expected ..... the Polaris "sucks" responses started rolling in .... and I bit my tongue. Responses like that are tantamount to saying "just don't buy them because I don't like them and I said so". I only asked "why?". Finally, I made a "universal" response in their (Polaris's) defence, and then you took it and made it personal. I can count on one hand over the past 4 or so years on here that I actually made a a truely "negative" comment covering a complete ATV. Even then, I was specific as to why (FYI - one was about Suzuki's old early '80's LT250 ridgid framed utility quad and it concerned the fact that from experience, they were so ill handling that they were actually dangerous to ride - then listed why they were ill handling) - I could never place that upon an entire company's product line. The example I always give when defending Polaris is the one of the ATC200S I owned for almost 10 years, considered by many to be one of the most "bullet proof" atv's of all time. During that 10 years of ownership I had to replace the fork assemblies twice, rebuild the engine because of a thrown timing chain, replace the rear bearings twice, replace the head stay bearings, replace everything that was serviceable in the carb - then replace the entire carb, I had to replace the hubs because of failing bolts, replaced the CDI once and the stator twice, the frame started to crack behind the tank mount, replaced the plastics and the seat, all of the cables - and - the coup de gras of all things - I had to rebuild or re-string the pull starter 14 billion times. After all of that said, I could have easily said "Honda sucks" but - I would recommend one to anybody and it probably was my favorite ATV ever.

wheelie king
01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
OK - I am really saddened that this whole exchange even happened. I do admittedly tend to harshly "sum up my feelings" with the words "crappy" or "sucks" if I do not like something. I have my reasons, and I am just not a long winded kinda guy. I get annoyed with always having to explain myself.

Also, as far as my employment, no taxpayers dollars have ever been "wasted" in my attention to this board. I have been off for the past 4 days (and at home), and I would not view this board at work. Everything I do on the internet at work is monitored, because it is a Law Enforcement Bureau.

May your polaris bring you many more years of great riding. Peace.

Wickedfinger
01-17-2005, 09:12 PM
What do you do exactly for our government?. ....... (please say border patrol and I'll take back everything!) If you are an officer of the law, you have my respect and I take back the government comment - That was directed tword the "pencil sharpeners".

ATC777
02-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the help and opinions, gang. You guys are awesome. Bad news. :mad: I called the guy I was going to buy that 350 from and he sold it right out from under me. :mad: Oh well, guess some things aren't meant to be. :wondering

Just thought I would let everyone know