PDA

View Full Version : Auction snipers BLOW

a-camp
01-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Who likes watching an item for two days on Ebay just to be beat by a program in the last seconds. Do we all have to use this now ? Then what keep changing to the fastest one every week?? Where does it end ?

MassTrike
01-09-2005, 11:05 AM
i totoally agree with you, its not really an auction if you know your gonna win it, i think its kinda cheating in a way. but oh well people are gonna do what they are gonna do

Apollo
01-09-2005, 11:12 AM
What is this program, what happened to you a-camp?

r00sty
01-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I feel the same way to a certain extent, I am guilty of sniping, but I do it with nothing other than a POS computer and a stopwatch. I guess the way I look at it is if I want something, I watch it, I already have a max price in my head that I'm willing to pay, so if I ghost around, and at the end put in my max bid, and someone else gets it, it's just because they either needed it more than I do, or their pockets are deeper.

What burns my arse, are sellers who refuse to either start their auction at the minimum they are willing to take for it, or setting a reserve and not disclosing the amount, or the best one which got me yesterday, they aren't getting what they want for it, even though they started the bidding low and didn't set a reserve, so they end the auction a minute before it ends, that is the worst and should be illegal by egay standards. :mad:

x.system
01-09-2005, 11:21 AM
If your not prepared to bid high enuff you will never win. I don't use snipe programs and I usually win what I'm after. A snipe program is only as good as your highest bid. I think snipe programs are good for when your not available to bid but still you have to enter a high enuff max bid to win. Its all about who's willing to pay the most for that part. I used to use snipe programs and have won more parts without using them.

a-camp
01-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Ya but you cant low bid. They will always get in the last bid. Would be cool if you were not around. I dont like the Buy it now with no option to bid .What the hell is that?? Or the guys with Starting bid $20.00 Buy it now $22.00.If i want to look at adds i can pick up a mag.We know you have seat covers mellow out.

ClayW
01-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah I just use a stopwatch, and know what my max bid is in advance.

OldSchoolin86
01-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I snipe the old fashioned way too but I couldn't care less about the programs. If I get beat in an auction it's only because they were will to pay more. The auction system still works no matter how you bid.

Howdy
01-09-2005, 12:18 PM
After loosing a few auctions I changed to auction sniping myself. I have bought more for less money since I did. I hate to say it but I think auction sniping is going to be around a long time.

Howdy

Trike Dude
01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
If you know what the maximum is that you would spend why not just put that in when you see it and be done w/ it. This will eliminate the need for stop watches and sniping programs and even looking at the auction .

a-camp
01-09-2005, 12:57 PM
You may not have to pay that much. But you are correct $$ talks if you really want it.Sometimes I am just looking at parts for my friends : good deals on things they could use. Not deperate to win.
Thanks for input Howdy and Old schoolin I know you use Ebay alot .

ScottZJ
01-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I am captain sniper! Snipe is the best thing since sliced bread. It keeps the auction price down low cuz you arent bidding on it all the time. If you bid on it, then others will bid and make the price go way up. I like lurching in the background ready to pounce on the unexpecting bidders hehehe :D
Plus it keeps me from waisting all my time watching auctions...................peace

Billy Golightly
01-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Heheh Scott introduced me to esnipe, I've been using it since then. Like the other guys said though, if you get beat its only because you didn't bid the maximum you will pay. I've tried to snipe a few auctions, only to find my big wasn't high enough. It happens.

NICKG
01-09-2005, 02:19 PM
that is how i do it. i use www.auctionstealer.com its free and i can set it and forget it. it gets me the auctions i woulsd otherwise forget about. also if you have dial up it is much more effeicent, when i had dial up, it could take 15 seconds for the bid to actually go thru....i set the snipe for 3 seconds and put in the max amount i will spend...i rarely lose, unless the auction goes high, but then i am glad i used the snipe tool bacause it keeps me from over paying for things. you guys that bid before the last minute are funny, you just raise the prices up ....

NOS_350X
01-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Do like I do, and the way ebay says. Put the highest amound you will pay for it. Then snipers dont matter. Because if it goes over that you didnt want to pay that much for it anyways.

Howdy
01-09-2005, 02:51 PM
If you know what the maximum is that you would spend why not just put that in when you see it and be done w/ it. This will eliminate the need for stop watches and sniping programs and even looking at the auction .

This will also eliminate your bank account. Throwing your max bid in at the last second ( sniping ) does not allow another bidder to bid up your bid. Thus you can normally get the item cheaper.

Would you rather bid up a set of rims to $100 or snipe it and possibly get them for $80 via a snipe bid? I would rather keep as much of my money as possible for more toys.
You want to do it the other way ( early bidding ) then go for it. To each their own.
Howdy

a-camp
01-09-2005, 03:07 PM
When you bid early you can see if its going to be a war before the last 15 min.Gives you a chance to e-mail , think if you can find other way or back down.

NICKG
01-09-2005, 06:05 PM
When you bid early you can see if its going to be a war before the last 15 min.Gives you a chance to e-mail , think if you can find other way or back down.
not a chance, if i bid before the last minute...it is a passing bid, if i win great, but if i WANT the item, you would not know till 3 seconds to go. bidding early just makes the final price much higher....when i snipe things and i want it bad enough....you don't have a chance. if you don't like being sniped...try the program out, you will be convinced.

ClayW
01-09-2005, 07:22 PM
I have gotten some good deals by waiting till the end and sniping it. Early bidding just drives the price up drastically. Its stupid sometimes how much people will pay. Its like the adrenlin gets pumping and they cant resist. Saw a dip wad bid early and often on a set of 350X forks that leaked. Mooron. Hey bought them for $225. I waited til the next week and got mine for $75 sniped. And they didnt leak! :naughty:

x.system
01-09-2005, 10:56 PM
I bid my max on these fork boots a couple days into the auction only to be outbid the following day. I know what they are worth so bid acordingly. I ordered a set from service honda friday for less than the end price of the auction. Normally I wait till the last hour if not last minute to bid to keep from being outbid but I wanted to see how far above cost these would actually go if I bid early.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4516555454&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT

TrikeKid
01-10-2005, 01:07 AM
i use the buy it now as much as possible for this reason. We have had alot of stuff go to somebody else at the last second either because of a program or a very well timed human sniper. Besides with the buy it now you sometimes get a deal on shipping.

dblshockpower
01-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Do people get a discount for listing items at a real low price? I'll bet they do..then when there's little interest it's ripe for a sniper..to think your actually bidding on an item like this with more than 15sec. left is foolish.

350Xccelerator
01-10-2005, 03:58 AM
i snipe stuff all the time, id be lost without it

Dan Tenn
01-10-2005, 11:55 AM
If you cant beat'em, join'em. Its people that don't snipe that gives us last second shooters the advantage. So please, say its cheating, not fair, tricky, or whatever, I'll still be sniping and you'll still be losing auctions until you become a sniper. Good luck. :naughty:

xtremez
01-10-2005, 12:19 PM
i agree with dan tenn i have been bidding on ebay for atleast 5 years now and have spent 1,000's of dollars on things that i either always wanted or things i just need and i learned that if you want something bad enough you will do what ever it takes to win it!i dont use a snipe program i just wait like everyone else does.In a real auction it is the one with the most money and the last one to bid high enough so if you dont want to bid that high dont bid at all cause i might be the one outbidding you at the end with less than a minute to go!

2002 katana
1982 gs550mz katana 1st year
89 yamaha blaster that i have restored from ground up with alot of aftermarket parts
93 yamaha blaster another project

TimSr
01-10-2005, 03:05 PM
When I buy, I always snipe, and throw my max bid on in the last 30 seconds. You dont need a stop watch, just refresh the screen for an updated time. Roadrunner also helps. Sniping wipes eliminatesd competition from the newbies who bid in $1 increments and dont understend the whole concept of proxy bidding.

When you bid on my stuff though, I prefer you bid early. Higher prices is a good thing if youre a seller!

OldSchoolin86
01-10-2005, 03:31 PM
When I buy, I always snipe, and throw my max bid on in the last 30 seconds. You dont need a stop watch, just refresh the screen for an updated time. Roadrunner also helps. Sniping wipes eliminatesd competition from the newbies who bid in $1 increments and dont understend the whole concept of proxy bidding.
Ya, I do almost the same thing. I keep a couple screens up, one with the auction page and one with my bid ready to send. I've dropped quite a few with less then 2 sec left.

Lots_Of_Nothing
01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
I always use a auction sniper program, If you cant beat them, join them. I always set my max bid to go in the very last second, I have yet to lose an auction that I have a snipe set on.

Billy Golightly
01-10-2005, 10:46 PM
I use to snipe manually, but some of you may recall where I lost 4 auctions in one night because ebay was so slow I could not get my big through in time. I started bidding early after that, until a few monthes ago when I started doing off-site sniping.

PowerTrike
01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Snipers have disappointed me before. So like Dan says "If you can't beat em, join em" I've been a happy user of hammersnipe.com ever since...

a-camp
01-11-2005, 01:56 AM
I use to snipe manually, but some of you may recall where I lost 4 auctions in one night because ebay was so slow I could not get my big through in time. I started bidding early after that, until a few monthes ago when I started doing off-site sniping.
Ya so I keep track of several idems ending different days at different times so i can be around in the last 15 secs of the auction and hope my conections up. Im at work half the time . If I want it ill go as close to the cost of new as I feel is smart on a bid . If it can be purchased new. Ill GET A DAM SNIPER ALREADY. Do they work for tire kicking?????? Dont want cluch basket to slip by for $9.99

AZ250R
01-11-2005, 02:45 PM
BID SNIPE'N!!! There Is NO Substitute! :cool: :w00t:

I've saved a load of $$ & won twice as many auctions since using a snipe service. So much so that I've even kicked em, the snipe service, a few $$ every now & then.