PDA

View Full Version : My weekend in the garage !!!

bigredhead
01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Oh man.... I NOW HAVE 3 RUNNING TRIKES !! :beer

I spent saturday t'il 1am working on the 82 200.. at first my goal was to get the motor started, nothing more. It was spewing gas from the overflow and i had left it for a few weeks for lack of spare time.

So i removed the carb, adjusted the float, went to princess auto and bought a vernier caliper, awsome piece for 2 $, alowed me to adjust the float exactly to 12.5 mm's.. it was at 15 previously. So. new plug, adjusted the CDI rotor clearance to spec, and BAM.. fired right up.

Had to put the front wheel back together, as it was taken apart to make the big red run... needed the tire, so i just changed the hub and brake ass. put that all back together.

Had to re-mount the front headlight, i took a bolt from one side for the big red. and added a bolt to one of the foot pegs.

Then tightened the chain, it had about 4 inches of play.. LOL.... put air in the tires and took it out for a 1am ride.. thank god it's a quiet machine... stock exhaust. phew. and MAN THAT THING RUNS !!!!! light as hell.. floats on snow like a champ.

Spent sunday working on the SX.

Removed the frame guard, i want to clean it up and paint it silver, changed the oil and filter.. god that filter was foul..... i was having problems with shifting, so i adjusted the clutch.. it had no 1/4 turn in at all.. either wear or was never set properly. and put new oil in the crank.. honda dealer was closed to i had to put " penzoil " in her... 5w 30.. starts way easier now.

Tightened the rear hubs down with my new 24 " breaker bar. and 27 MM impact socket !!!!.. NOW my rear end is tight. finally.

Put fresh gas in all 3 tanks with a bit of HEET and that was my weekend !

I think i like working on these things as much as riding them.. the more i do, the more i feel comfortable taking stuff apart.. and have it work when i'm done !

woot !

xtremez
01-10-2005, 12:28 PM
i know all about having to get stuff running i have a few projects going on myself and no room to do it! currently working on a 85 tri-z that when i am done will be one of the nicest ones in history,a 93 blaster that i have owned for about 5 years and for 5 years it has been tore apart,and a 82 katana i tore apart in 95 to restore and never got back around to doing it

bigredhead
01-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I hate waiting too long when i take something apart.. you start to hold things in the air going " where the hell does this go ? ".....

It's a good feeling to finally be done with overdue projects !!!..

MTS
01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
heh, good to hear you got the 82 going, there a blast untill you get stuck in the snow, at least mine is anyways it is ass end heavy compared to my friends 200's :(

bigredhead
01-10-2005, 01:43 PM
according to the specs page :

82 . 200 = 313 lbs
and 200s = 278 lbs
my 250 sx = 357 lbs

35 lbs difference, but i'd swear my 82 is lighter than that.. heck bare frame and bald tires, i picked it up and spun it around like nothing.. and i'm not a big guy ! 160 lbs.

MTS
01-10-2005, 01:51 PM
heh well im 5'3 130 and i have trouble getting out of the deep stuff sometimes lol but the front end is really light without the added weight of the susp lol
Note: i think mine may have the heavier steel rims for hunting that was an option for the bikes,,,cuze this was like a goverment rangeres bike or something............ ;)

Pistonhead
01-10-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm 6'2" 185, and the big red with 2 knobbies on the back seems to rocket through anything from 2-3' of snow fine. When theres enough snow that a trike won't go through it, then I use my truck, a tractor, or a ski-doo. My truck has 4x4 low, with another low range 1'st gear (plus 1 2 3 normal and reverse), it will go through anything, its like a half-track in dual low.

tmj6988
04-02-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a 1984 big red. I can not find where the oil filter is located at
tom

IrvSLedman
04-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I deff know what its like to always be tearing stuff apart, its alot of fun, me and SomekindofJerk have spent dozens of hours goofing off and working on trikes in the garage...lmao i probably have almost as much time into fixing them and tinkering with them as i do into actually riding them...oh well we have a blast.

Ryan