PDA

View Full Version : F---in Drum Brakes!

ATC crazy
01-16-2003, 07:39 PM
I hate drum brakes :evil: They should be burnt in effigy. I heard a continuous squeel in my front brakes a few months ago and it went away after a while and I never thought of it again. Well, a few weeks ago it was back and would not go away at any speed over 1st gear. It was so annoying. It didn't matter if the brakes were cold, warm, wet, or dry. It didn't even go away while appling different ammounts of brake pressure while riding. I even played around with the adjusters quite a bit but it did seem to help at all. So, tonight, in 28 degree weather, I tore apart both the front brakes. I cleaned them very well, greased all the O-rings, lightly sanded the shoes, and backed the adjusters off another click. I don't know if any of this helped because I didnt have time to test drive yet. If it keeps up then I will check the bearings, but they seem tight and smooth. But then if it still dosen't help then I will "save my pennies" trash the drums and buy a High Lifter Disk Brake Kit for it by Willwood. http://www.highlifter.com/store/discbrakes.html Have any other Foreman owners had this problem?

ATCRYDER
01-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Thats a trademark of Honda, my friend....drums!

Yes that Squeeking is one patience tester for sure. You should hear the old Honda Moped ive got. You can hear the rear squeeking from streets away. I havnt really looked into it but Im about sure new shoes and proper lubing would take care of it.

ATC crazy
01-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Well, I fixed it. I took it out today in the snow and never heard a thing. I guess all it needed was a good cleaning. Honda has this thing about keeping their quads under 600lbs and dumping the drums and adding disks would help out a lot, not to mention more stopping power that I could really use the way I ride. :twisted: I think I will still consider the Disk Brake Kit in a few years though.