PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking !!

bigredhead
01-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Anyone here do the carpentry thing?

Bought a Ridgid 10" table saw a while back.. have yet to put it to good use.. but very soon !

Curious to know if others on here got interest ?

Pistonhead
01-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I love woodworking man! Last year I got the highest average in the school in woodworking class and the industrial arts excellence award, I designed and built my own gun rack, its better than most pieces of wooden furniture you can buy from a expensive store. A table saw is an excllent machine to start off with, pretty soon you'll have a shop like Norm Abraham's if you really get into it, I haven't done lots of woodwork lately, but I'll start again after my trike is done. Women love a man that can make high grade furniture without paying a high grade price!

Yamahauler
01-12-2005, 07:43 PM
im going to school to be a carpenter when i am out of high school. Next summer i am going to move into the city for a month or so to work for a contracter to get some experiance.

Pistonhead
01-12-2005, 07:44 PM
That bench you built was nice Yamahauler!

Yamahauler
01-12-2005, 07:49 PM
thanks! it gets a hell of a lot of use in the summer, but right now its too cold to be working out there in a non heated garage. I would mind insulateing it but i am only going to be living in this house for 1 1/2 years. so ill wait til i get my own house

Pistonhead
01-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I want to build my own log house, Lee Valley tools has quite the selection of books and tools for woodworking/log building.

chris200x
01-12-2005, 08:19 PM
I love woodworking man! Last year I got the highest average in the school in woodworking class and the industrial arts excellence award, I designed and built my own gun rack, its better than most pieces of wooden furniture you can buy from a expensive store. A table saw is an excllent machine to start off with, pretty soon you'll have a shop like Norm Abraham's if you really get into it, I haven't done lots of woodwork lately, but I'll start again after my trike is done. Women love a man that can make high grade furniture without paying a high grade price!

Ahh yes good old Norm!!! It's amazing he still has all his fingers, ever notice how thick his glasses are? :D

honda200
01-12-2005, 08:20 PM
yea, i do a bit of wood working, heres a guitar i am working on:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Jem%20Guitar/body.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/Jem%20Guitar/tummycurve.jpg

Started it not too long ago, waiting on my fingerboard so i can get the neck roughed out, then i can do all my routing (cant route anything until i get the fingerboard, for the neck heel, pickup routes, or the bridge placement)

I also work in a wood shop, right now we are building a solid walnut table, mesuring 30x48 with 8 inch legs (its a BIG coffee table, i know) and a 4 inch skirt around the bottom of the top

Curtis

mike from long island
01-13-2005, 12:31 AM
these pics are just cabinets,bookcases i built the white cabinets i installed and did all the trim work. i do all this for a living. my house looks like crapp lol

mike from long island
01-13-2005, 12:33 AM
here is a bath i did it is a side pic you cant see the tub or toilet from this angle i built the med cabinets did the waiscott too i am so awesome lol ill get some pics of other projests if you guys want to drool :beer mike

nate b
01-13-2005, 11:08 PM
thats cool MIKE, Its my living too! LOVE THE CARPENTRY
NATE

MTS
01-13-2005, 11:58 PM
i do wood working, fun stuff, once i move hear i have to make new shelfs cabnits ect,ect in my room and in the garage for parts and stuff :)

Pistonhead
01-14-2005, 12:25 AM
i do wood working, fun stuff, once i move hear i have to make new shelfs cabnits ect,ect in my room and in the garage for parts and stuff :)
Movin into Edmonton? There are some good atv shops there, pigeon lake ice fishing contest too.

bigredhead
01-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Nice pics !!.. i like that guitar ! got the hardware for it yet ? and will you make your own neck ?

I'd love to make a living from it some day.. custom furniture. work from home baybeee !

It would be cool to be able to open the garage door mid-day and take an " inspirational ride on the trike ".. and then get back to work !!! LOL...

atcmatt
01-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Yep i love woodwork also. Igot the woodwork award at school last year for getting the highest grades for all the projects/tests we did.

This was my favourite thing i made last year, got 98% for it. This year im making a hall table, ill let you know how it turns out.

Im gonna be a carpenter when i leave school.

Matt

rman
01-15-2005, 09:01 AM
i do cabinetry also we do custom kitchens and baths also do built ins and entertainment centers well basically anything to do with wood we build just no melamine for us. prior to this i framed houses and built decks so i have been in the carpentry buisness for quite a few years :D

Wickedfinger
01-15-2005, 07:43 PM
My pop actually runs his own woodworking school and custom builds high end furniture on commision.