PDA

View Full Version : Ice racing

x.system
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, we finally got some decent ice to ride on so I took the 86 atc and 87 trx 250r out for a little test and tune session with some friends. My swingarm on the atc had a crack around the pinch bolt that was only a hairline but after a couple laps it pulled it open so I had to park the atc. Heres a few pics of the trx.

OldSchoolin86
01-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Oh ya, that looks like fun. I would have been out riding too yesterday but I was too much of a wossy to battle the -20 windchill. I did go ice fishing though, the ice is nice. We had almost 10 inches.

x.system
01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
We've got a good 6 inches so far and its about 8 degrees now. The wind isn't to bad down in this hollow but it was still cold. We only ran about 10 laps at a time then stopped to warm back up. We use this spot for practicing, its the safest spot we have until the lakes get some good ice. This spot is only 2 to 3 feet deep so if you do go through you don't loose your machine.

Xowner
01-17-2005, 04:03 PM
This spot is only 2 to 3 feet deep so if you do go through you don't loose your machine.

Thats nice to know right their lol

yah i got some hair line cracks on my atc swinger right now , trying to find some one to weld it or some one to give me one of them aftermarket swinger jobs but cant find nobody right now but if they did give me one it better come with a swinger bolt to cause i need one of them to their hard to find and when you do find one they want like new prices almost ready to have john make me one lol

BigGreenMachine
01-17-2005, 05:05 PM
The 400EX swinger bolt is the same piece is it not?

Great pics X.sysyem, nice litte spot for some practice.

x.system
01-17-2005, 05:26 PM
The 400EX swinger bolt is the same piece is it not?

Great pics X.sysyem, nice litte spot for some practice.

Yes, skippy was saying its the same bolt in another thread.

skippy
01-19-2005, 12:25 PM
yeah its the same..bolt

skippy
01-19-2005, 12:26 PM
and its alot cheaper then the 250r bolt, buy the 400ex, and the nut too

x.system
01-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Ran the first race of the season last sunday and got who0ped by a yfz 450 with a few mods. Forgot to take my camera but will have some pics up this coming sunday night of the next race. Took these pics the night we stripped the motor and swingarm off to make some mods.

x.system
01-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Here are some pics from today, the next race is tomorrow. :eek:

MTS
01-29-2005, 02:37 PM
what "mods" are you putting in haha, dont wana be beat by a yfz again haha

x.system
01-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Took 2 inches out of the swingarm for better traction. Took the stock cylinder off and am installing a paul turner 265 with a high rev port and polish with a nikisil sleeve, milled head with a 23cc dome. YZ250 piston with a spacer plate to change the stroke. Changed out the fmf exhaust to a ct high rev pipe. Repacked the silencer for more back pressure. Raised the front end an inch to transfer more weight to the rear. Added new studs to the rear tires. Shed some weight with un needed parts. I think thats about it. I should have it running tonight and broke in before the race tomorrow. :D

x.system
01-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Second race of the season and I had a couple motor problems so I couldn't finish. It ran great for the practice laps and the first heat race but during the main I had an unusual noise so I had to shut it down. The yfz still took first but he couldn't pull away from me this time. Now I've got 2 weeks to prepare for the next race so I should have it dialed in by then. I just need to figure out what went wrong and play with my gearing now. Heres a couple pics from the race.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-30-2005, 06:36 PM
What is the deal with ice racing? How do you get it going? Through the state? The reason I am asking, is that it looks like loads of fun, and there is a dam where I live. It is owned by the DCNR, and there are lots of ice fisher's so they are probably the state's priority, PA seems to have something up their ass for atvers, but you can ride a snow mobile about anywhere.

x.system
01-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Our local motocross track puts this event on, its used to be at their property but they sold out so they use this lake now. They also had snomobile drag races at this lake about 400 yards away so it was a great time out there today with both events going on. In Michigan you have to have an ORV sticker (License) to ride on state land, frozen lakes included but I didn't have to have one for this event do to this company putting on this race. If I were to ride anywhere else on the lake I would have had to have an ORV sticker. Call your DNR and ask them what your rules are for riding on ice. If you have a motocross track close by, ask them if they know of any ice racing, also check at your local atv dealer, they usually know where the events are going on and sometimes have the flyers.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-30-2005, 08:33 PM
I bet they only allow snow mobiles. Do you have to have the ORV registration for trikes? I thought there was a cut off date where you didnt need one,something like pre-87 (meaning exempt). If not, how do you get a sticker, (none of my trikes have titles so how would I get one?).

x.system
01-30-2005, 09:29 PM
I bet they only allow snow mobiles. Do you have to have the ORV registration for trikes? I thought there was a cut off date where you didnt need one,something like pre-87 (meaning exempt). If not, how do you get a sticker, (none of my trikes have titles so how would I get one?).

Here we don't need a vin or title to get an ORV. Look here, http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/index.aspx

You will have to talk to one of your dnr officers and ask about riding on the ice.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Okay, a couple of questions.
1. Does titling mean if I dont have any, it takes $22 to get a new one from the state?
2It has a section stating that atv's only need registration because they have 3or more inflatable tires, does this mean that motorcycles are in a loop hole?

3 Thanks for the info X.System

bassman
01-30-2005, 10:55 PM
looks fun..... Did you hit any ice fisherman?

x.system
01-30-2005, 11:38 PM
The fishermen stay about 1000 yards away, moving cars are about the only obstacles besides the sleds and atv's. There were about 500 sleds, 300 cars, trucks and trailers out there today so it was quite congested on the ice. I think there was more traffic on the ice that there was in the little town today. I will get some pics of the traffic at the next race.