PDA

View Full Version : mojave vs. blaster vs. 300ex

01-17-2003, 09:44 AM
What are the top speeds for these models? How is handling? Are they all manual clutch? Do they all have electric start? How is the suspension? How about acceleration? Any info needed! Thanks!

ATCRYDER
01-17-2003, 07:13 PM
wow-e........

Top speeds: Blaster (53-55mph....but itll get you there fast), 300EX (45 to 50ish) and Mojave (60's).

Blaster is an oil injected Air cooled 2 stroke. (6 speed manual)

Mojave is a DOHC Liquid Cooled 4 Stroke .(Very powerful engine when tapped into) 5 Speed Manual.

300EX is an underpowered SOHC 4 stroke, air cooled. (Manual 5 speed).

Handling? If youve ever owned a trike.....what the hell is handling? Makes no real differance on any of these 3 rides.

The 300EX is the only one with E-Start, plus reverse. The Mojave has reverse w/ manual start. Blaster has neither.

If those 3 are yoru choices, cut out the 300EX. Then we have the Mojave and Blaster left. Both are top quads. that any rider can enjoy. Theres tons more aftermarket parts avail. for the blaster if thats your thing. The Mojave is just a great machine, its quick, strong and can do anything you need it to. I'd choose the Mojave personally but the Blaster isnt more than an inch behind it on my chart. CHoose 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Blaster or Mojave.

Rob

Wickedfinger
01-17-2003, 07:33 PM
... I'd have to disagree on cutting out the 300EX so fast .... Yes out of the box the engine is a little bit anemic - it only has 16 horsepower, which is the same as a Blaster, but delivered with a smoothed out powerband rather than the Blasters lightning quick one and yes it is two less than the Mojavies 18hp. But it will out handle and out jump any of the other two any day of the week due to a much better frame/suspension geometry and the engine really will come alive with some minor mods - a good filter and pipe will up the hp. to around 20.

ATCRYDER
01-17-2003, 07:38 PM
and I would have to disagree with the handling thing. The 300EX certainly has superior suspension to a blaster (Honda will always overcome any Yamaha made before 99 in that aspect). Handling though? If you actually want to go into handling (they all handle the same to me honestly, some jsut steer and slide differant but ive never rode a "bad" handling machine). The Blaster would outjump both of them due to the snappy 2 stroke engine and shortend frame geometry. The rider makes the differance on the jumping aspects. I could outjump any beginner or starter on a 200S, whether they had a Banshee or Not, if ya know what I am meaning.

Rob

OldSchoolin86
01-17-2003, 09:26 PM
300ex hands down, no question is the best handler. Better suspended, better stance, and a legendary big brother to borrow parts from. The Mo is okay but is really limited compared to the ex or the blaster in potential. Pipe and jet the mo and ex and the ex will come out on top. The mo is no a 60+ mph machine either. The blaster has some sweet options but it feels to small for me. You have to go brand new just to get all around disc brakes where the ex you don't.

You can compare skill all day but that doesn't answer the qusetion.

Honda300ex
01-17-2003, 10:13 PM
I don't know if is is just me but i think that kawisucky Mojaves are junky and ugly and slow the 300ex will school a mojave and the blaster can whip up all 3 in top speed.
There you happy i edited it

ATCRYDER
01-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Youve obviously got no idea. If you dont even know the correct name, instead of the 1st grade sound-spelling....yeah the "Mohave" must suck.

Honda300ex
01-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Mojave or WTF it is i still don't like them :evil:

350Xrider
01-17-2003, 11:03 PM
Well, I can tell you the honda is the best all around of the three. Honda has and probably always will have the upper edge in handeling. The Mojave is a little narrow and tippy feeling, I know this because I owned one. And the suspension is a little stiff. The blaster is great other than brakes and suspension. The ex is the total package as far as trails and jumping are concerned the only plae it will lack in is top end speed where the blaster is the fastest of the three, and the Moand the 300ex is about the same but the ex is a little ahead. The 300 has the most usable power. The mojave is the most advanced of the 3 in the engine department. The blaster is just overall to small and light, but it is great for the class of people it was intended for. Honda has the reliability followed by the Kawasaki Mojave, and then the Blaster, as it is an air cooled 2 cycle, and if you have one, unhook the oil injection and run pre-mix,before it costs you a little bit of money. This is from the standpoint of a person that has owned the Mojave, and had a cousin with a blaster and a 300ex and was readily available to me at any time and was ridden quite regularly by me, this is not just a person that has looked and read dirtwheels and came up with some crap, this is the real deal, I have actual saddle time on all these bikes.

TimSr
01-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Ive never ridden a Mojave, so I cant speak from personal experience, but I do know that within the body in which I race motocross, they have a Blaster class, in which they allow the 300EX, 250X, and Mojave's to compete as well. The Blasters rule this class, hands down, but there are a lot of 300EX's, and 250X's as well, and some are in the top positions. I have only seen one Mojave, and either the rider, or the quad was really lame. Ill agree with the 300EX having the best suspension, but nobody is running stock suspension anyways on the track. For handling Ill give it a tie with the Blaster, but again, most are running extended A-Arms, and oversize rear axles. Ive ridden both stock, and they both have that short wheelbase handling feel to me.
Having witnessed this, I cant help but conclude that there must be something about a Mojave that makes it not partiicularly suitable or competitive in motocross, or else its the best kept secret in NE Ohio. As for the others, after they get done "building" them, it would seem that the Blaster certainly has more potential as an MX racer, with the 300 being competitive, but then I hate these questions in general because inquiries are never use specific, and all the arguments end up being about who wins the drag race, or who has the fastest top speed on the freeway. Which are both irrelevant to the real world of off road riding or racing. The Blaster and 300EX are both fine machines, each with its own strengths and weakenesses. The Mojave is not nearly as popular, for reasons I wont speculate, since I havent owned one or ridden one, but that alone poses problems when you look for parts or upgrades.

Tri-Z_Jim
01-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a battle over Yami,KAwi,and Honda again.....or 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. I'm a blaster master to the extreme and then some.I have ridden the mojave and 300ex and didnt care for them(not a 4 stroke person I guess)All 3 are great machines for beginners.The blaster has the most potential for MX.All make fast woods racers with the right rider. Not sure but I think the Blaster is the cheapest of the 3 whether its new or used.Blasters are also easiest/cheapest to modify.Go to www.trengaracing.com to see whats avaible for the blaster. The new blaster is nice but doesnt turn as sharp as the old blasters. Are you buying a new quad ???or just looking for info. The blaster is the best bang for the $$

Wickedfinger
01-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Man, I wondering how long it would take Jim to ring in on this post ..... lol. Oh and just to prove to you all who think I'm a Blaster hater and that I actually did own one, heres a picture of me and my brand new, store bought, first day owned 1996 Blaster taken back in the fall of 1995. After years of rebuilding "used" trikes and quads I decided I wanted to see what owning a "New" one was like. Due to a lack of money, I couldn't afford a new Warrior like I wanted (I had an '87 for a while then sold it to a friend) - so I ended up with the Blaster. At first I loved it very much, especially its kick in the pants acceleration - but it soon didn't take me long to figure out its limitations - mostly I will admit, due to my large size. At the time I was right at its limit of 225lbs. and I'm 6'1" tall. So I traded it in the spring of 1996 and bought the new Polaris 400L sport - which is nearly twice a Blasters size in every way and I had that up untill early last year.