PDA

View Full Version : Fuel oil

kap
01-18-2005, 11:15 PM
hey,
i just got done draing to oil two old fuel oil tanks from my basment theres stil some left but not a lot is it safe to torch the tanks open? without the **** checking on fire?

twgranger
01-18-2005, 11:26 PM
hey,
i just got done draing to oil two old fuel oil tanks from my basment theres stil some left but not a lot is it safe to torch the tanks open? without the **** checking on fire?Speak english man. :wondering

kap
01-18-2005, 11:33 PM
sorry about that i was in rush...heres what i meant to say....i drained two old fuel-oil tanks from my basment, is it safe to torch them with the little of the remaining oil still in it?

MTS
01-19-2005, 12:22 AM
pressure wash them, unless you wana go BOOM! there is still lots of fumes in there, and thats what lights on fire

kap
01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
the fuel oil is probaly 20 years old, and my dad tested it by accident by dropping a match in there and it didnt do anything but when you get 5000 degrees in there it could be a diffrent story

TrikeKid
01-19-2005, 12:39 AM
i'd cut them open before you do it. My dads never had a problem burning oil filters from his semi's with out doing much less than slightly draining them.

KASEY
01-19-2005, 12:54 AM
oil filters????? they won't blow up no matter what you do!!! get a brain,,,, hmmm should a light a potencial bomb under my house???? what are you trying to do,,, remove the tanks from a place with a smaller opening than the tanks ????? theres two ways to do this safely,,, if your going to use a torch,,, one isto fill them with water to remove all the oxygen cause with no oxygen you can't have ignition,,, the other is to run a pipe from the exhaust of a car or lawnmower or a trike into it the co2 will replace oxygen also ,,, i myself would attempt that the safer method ,,,although more timely and use a sawzall and do them a little at a time,,,,,,,

KASEY
01-19-2005, 12:59 AM
oil filters????? they won't blow up no matter what you do!!! get a brain,,,, hmmm should a light a potencial bomb under my house???? what are you trying to do,,, remove the tanks from a place with a smaller opening than the tanks ????? theres two ways to do this safely,,, if your going to use a torch,,, one isto fill them with water to remove all the oxygen cause with no oxygen you can't have ignition,,, the other is to run a pipe from the exhaust of a car or lawnmower or a trike into it the co2 will replace oxygen also ,,, i myself would attempt that the safer method ,,,although more timely and use a sawzall and do them a little at a time,,,,,,,

jeswinehart
01-19-2005, 01:10 AM
maybe ask your fire dept folks. they might just say they want to be there for a practice session to save the foundation.

what the heck you thinking ??? torch + old fuel oil ,,, hmmm

all oil is old for christ sakes ,,,, it was made billions of years ago .

never mind ,,,,, john

MassTrike
01-19-2005, 01:20 AM
are you talking about home heating oil, 1993 type? if so, that is the same thing that you will put in you diesel truck, the only difference is they add red dye to distinguish one from the other.

KASEY
01-19-2005, 02:14 AM
heating oil is a lower grade than #2 diesel ,, and they only use red dye in off hiway high sulfur diesel cause you don't pay highway taxes on dyed fuel,,,, there is no dye in low sulfur highway fuel,,,,

TimSr
01-19-2005, 09:50 AM
the fuel oil is probaly 20 years old, and my dad tested it by accident by dropping a match in there and it didnt do anything but when you get 5000 degrees in there it could be a diffrent story

Ive got to ask........ Accidentally dropped a match in there?

bigredhead
01-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Use a sawzall and have a fire extinguisher handy.. a big one.. rated for chemicals.

I did this personally.. we drained both tanks. Vented them. poured water in them swished it around and drained it into a 5 gal pail. to take to disposal, do not dump that into the ground !!!!!!!!!!

Then, punch a hole with a big chisel and a heavy hammer.. then insert a sawzall blade. and have someone spray water on the blade as you cut to cool it off and prevent sparks !

Good luck !

Pistonhead
01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
What do you want to use the tanks for? If you were just going to throw them out take them to a gravel pit (or other safe shooting area) with a .270 and set them at aroud 150 yards, put a cup of gas in front of it, pour a small ring of gas around the drum, go back to around 150 yards, shoot the cup, and watch the fireworks!!!! I had a few old propane tanks that were really rusted with a bunch of propane left in them, and the place where I fill them wanted me to pay them to get rid of it, I said screw that, I'm going to have some fun with these!

Dan Tenn
01-19-2005, 11:36 AM
So you really dropped a match in there?

I'd say your looking for a darwin award on this one. Let us know how far in the air the house goes. :eek:

bigredhead
01-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Mine had to be cut as they were installed before the house was finished, and would not come out in one piece... no matter what !

and yeah.. that match thing.. i dunno about that..????

Dirtcrasher
01-19-2005, 09:37 PM

LOL, The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree........ :w00t:

kap
01-19-2005, 10:05 PM
we didnt drop the match in the tanks themselves we first drained some of the fuil-oil out then took it out side and tried lighting it the stuff didnt ignite

MassTrike
01-20-2005, 01:36 AM
use a sawzall, Do not use a torch, no a match would not ignite it because fuel oil needs to be in a area of 75 degrees to ignite, unless under high pressure or INTENSE heat, ie: torch, sawzall is how i used to help my grandfather cut them out (he owned a oil business). it s a pain but better safe than dead.