PDA

View Full Version : What type of paint to use on frame and swingarm

markdb420
01-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I am getting my frame and swingarm sandblasted primed and painted. I am having a local auto painter sandblast, prime and paint my frame and swingarm. He is going to use a sprayer and told me to get a quart of enamel for the frame and a pint of enamel for the swingarm. I know what colors I want, what type of paint do I need to buy for him to use? Thanks.

rman
01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
i would suggest powdercoating if you can find someone that does it. it is a whole lot more durable and holds up great :beer

trikerider2oo7
01-20-2005, 07:02 PM
yes...do a powdercoat if you can. but for paint i would use PJ1 frame paint if i had to paint it

smokey
01-20-2005, 08:00 PM
If you have a auto paint store in town go and ask them about what kind of paint to use.

markdb420
01-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Do they make PJ1 that doesn't come in a spray bomb can?

TrikeKid
01-20-2005, 09:55 PM
i'd find a good industrial paint

Trikeaholic
01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
I have found that powder coat does not seal out moisture very well. everything I have ever seen P-coated rusted faster than it should have, like snowplows, a certain swingarm I have, I dont see what all the hub bub is aobut. It may take a hammer whack, but still not that impressed with its sealing ability, maybe its just the multiple products I saw done by the same inept powdercoater????? what gives?

x.system
01-20-2005, 10:51 PM
If you have to paint, dupont centari (single stage) mixed with a 2000 gloss pack is a very hard paint if its oven cured. I have also heard good things about POR 15. http://www.por15.com/ Powder coating is stronger and may even be cheaper than painting. Some paint colors are very expensive, then you have to have primers, reducers, hardeners, which all add up. I would strongly sugest you price out your materials before you decide to paint, then price powdercoating and weigh the differences. Basically, you get what you pay for when it comes to a paint job.

x.system
01-20-2005, 11:12 PM
I have found that powder coat does not seal out moisture very well. everything I have ever seen P-coated rusted faster than it should have, like snowplows, a certain swingarm I have, I dont see what all the hub bub is aobut. It may take a hammer whack, but still not that impressed with its sealing ability, maybe its just the multiple products I saw done by the same inept powdercoater????? what gives?

That is very true, look at all the plows out there and the powder only lasts a couple years. It comes off in huge sheets, and nobody mentions what it costs to blast a part that has been powdercaoted. The guy that does my frames charges double for a frame if its been powdercoated, why? because it takes twice the material to get it off compared to paint. I have asked my powdercoater about this and his explanation is the thickness. A good powdercoat job should be about 8 mils. max. The thicker it is, the easyer it will chip and flake off. If you notice on the plows, they put that stuff on alot thicker than 8 mils. The guy I use stands behind his stuff and says he will redo any parts that chip or flake off.
My swingarm was $40 for powdercoat, I know I couldn't paint it for $40, not with the cost of primer, reducer, paint, hardener, sandpaper and then my time and then I don't have access to an oven any more to cure it properly. I can't even walk out of the paint store without dropping $100 on materials so powdercoating is definatly cheaper for me.

markdb420
01-20-2005, 11:38 PM
I just have to buy the paint, the guy has all the thinner, reducers and hardeners that he'll need. Not too manychoices around here, after I made some calls.

x.system
01-20-2005, 11:46 PM
What kind of paint does he normally spray? Not all reducers work in all brands so you may want to ask him what brand he normally uses.

OldSchoolin86
01-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Sounds like you need to tell him to get it for you because like x.system said you can't just mix differetn paints with different reducers. I've powder coated all my restore jobs and from my results I'd never paint again. It's just like paint though, you need good prep to last a long time. As far as snow plows go I haven't seen anything make the long haul on them.

rman
01-21-2005, 02:47 AM
As far as snow plows go I haven't seen anything make the long haul on them.
that was exactly my thought i do not think a snowplow is a good example of durability lets put enamel on that plow and see how long it holds up :D