PDA

View Full Version : north carolina trying to ban young atv riders

QuAd SlAyEr
01-25-2005, 09:49 AM
I could not believe what was on the news last night. Some group is trying to ban anyone under 12 years of age from riding any type of atv. It looks like stoping the production 3 wheelers wasn't enough. Now they are going to try to tell me that I can not judge if my kid should ride or not.
I understand some people think just because something has four wheels it's safe and their child can't get hurt and then the unthinkable happens. So now the government is going to hold that against those of us that teach their kids how to ride safely.
So how many other states are doing this or have done this; they are saying that NC is one of the last states to restrict riders of atv's. :mad:

Quad Slayer

:TrikesOwn
'84 250R
'86 trx 125

Quickonstep
01-25-2005, 09:51 AM
im almost positive maryland has laws like that.. all the new atv's have this huge sticker rigiht on the front that says "NO RIDER UNDER THE AGE OF 16"

how many people accually obey it? 0

Jesse

QuAd SlAyEr
01-25-2005, 09:56 AM
We have that on atv's here but now they are saying that if passed you could be fined for letting kids ride them. So they are pushing for more than just a simple decal on the atv's

TrikerR
01-25-2005, 09:56 AM
yea...you see on all the manufactuers web site in small print at the bottom of the page "NO ATV OVER 90cc TO BE RIDEN BY ANY ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 16"...i say bull, imagine all the 14-16 year olds puttin around on TRX90's.

Motoboy
01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Long ago I came to the conclusion that laws are for stupid people, basically to protect themselves from their own stupidity.

The rest of us have to suffer for the ignorance of others.

TimSr
01-25-2005, 10:19 AM
The stickers on quads are the CPSC recommendations and are required to be on new vehicles by federal law, and have nothing to do with state law. I believe those were part of the 1986 decree. According to their (idiotic) recommendations, no one under 6 should ride a 50cc quad, and no one under 12 should be on a 80-90cc quad, and non under 16 on any adult size quad. I laughing at the idea that in only two more years, TimJr now at 105 lbs, will be old enough for his Raptor 80.
The CPSC recommendations are not law. The federal law only requires the warning stickers, anda bunch of stupid stipulations and questions a dealer must ask. However some states are pushing to make them law, and many groups including the CPSC is pushing to make them federal law. Some states have decided to create their own laws. Michigan comes to mind, after ruining a vacation some years ago. No one under 10 is permitted to ride an ATV on public AND private land. Then they have series of laws regarding the required atv safety courses for minors over 10, and special age regulations for 3 wheelers. (If I remember right, you must be 16 to ride a 3 wheeler, even if its an ATC70) They must not only pass a safety course, but it must be a MICHIGAN safety course. They will not recognize any safety course for another state, so if you are a non-resident and want to take your kids riding in Michigan, you need to send them up there prior to your vacation to take an ATV safety course.
Lets just say that from that time on, our annual vacation changed to The Badlands in Indiana where it will remain. It funny that an entire sanctioned quad racing class in Ohio, Jr Mini Quad, with a max age of 9, is a crime in Michingan!
I too would like to hear of idiotic laws that some other states may have.

foster
01-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Here in New Brunswick anyone under 16 must pass a eight-hour safety course before being allowed to ride.
Then they can only ride a machine as big, or smaller, than the one they got their training on. (I think.)
And then they must ride with a responsible adult, within sight at all times.
All quads, trikes, etc... must be registered with a licence plate.
Must carry public liability insurance.
Mandatory helmets.
Must be X feet away from public roads at all times, unless crossing it. Can't quite recall # of feet.
No riding on snowmobile trails from Dec. 15 to April 15. (Some snowmobile clubs expressly do allow you to ride their trails, however, if you join their club. These clubs enjoy 4x and 5x the membership of snowmobile clubs that do not allow ATVs. Gee, go figure...)
I'm sure I'm forgetting some laws.

bigredhead
01-25-2005, 10:34 AM
How bout the one in New Brunswick ( canada) that says 3 whelers are so "dangerous" they need to be classified as motorcycles and pay the insurance premium of one.

No ID no problem .. right ? how many 12 year olds have a wallet. and picture ID ?

Yes officer.. my son is 13, turned just last month !! LOL..

foster
01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Must be at least 16 to register an atv.
Illegal to sell or give away an unregistered atv.
"No person shall operate an all-terrain vehicle within 7.5 metres of the travelled portion of a highway, but a person sixteen years of age or older may drive an all-terrain vehicle across any roadway, and a person fourteen years of age or older may drive an all-terrain vehicle across a roadway that is not an arterial or collector highway, if he brings the vehicle to a stop before entering upon the travelled portion of the roadway, all occupants of the vehicle disembark before it enters upon the travelled portion of the roadway and cross the roadway on foot, and he drives the vehicle directly across the roadway."
(Also, you are allowed to unload your machine on a highway if you are 14 or older, as long as you get your machine off the road as soon as is practical.)
If riding at night, must have a headlight that reaches out to 30 metres and a red tail light, and side reflectors or reflecting tape that can be seen from 100 metres.
Police can seize your machine if you break the law. Unsure about the process for getting your machine back. Machine will be sold if you don't show up in court.
$25 out of each ATV registration (registration costs $41) goes directly to creating a province-wide ATV trail system, so we can ride from town to town and all over the place.

Tri-ZNate
01-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I laugh at the Noone under 16 can ride this 4 wheeler sticker. I was riding my dad's 230 quadsport at 10 (if i could get it to stay running). I think that would be funny as hell to see a 15 year old ridding a Honda 110 and getting fined for riding over his cc limit.

Dammit!
01-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Wonder if they'll go after dirtbikes once they completely outlaw anything with more than two wheels.

We have the Patriot Act. Now we need the Unpatriotic Act. The "OH MY GOD BAN IT" attitudes of those who come up with this crap just amazes me. How un-american can you possibly get. I would love to see some young hot trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro lawyer make a name for himself by challenging these kinds of laws, citing them as unpatriotic, un-american, anti-freedom or whatever you want to call it. In a perfect world, those who sponsor such atrocities against the American way of life should be prosecuted for threatening the liberties of the American people. But maybe that's just me.

Pistonhead
01-25-2005, 09:44 PM
The government is like, we are for life and liberty, but no one is allowed to have fun. We don't have any of those stupid laws around here. One of my buddies and his friend were riding dirtbikes on the road and a police officer drove up, and so my buddy took his helmet off to talk to the cop expecting to get torn a new as*hole, and the cop was like: "do a wheelie!". Theres some pretty cool guys around here.

x.system
01-25-2005, 11:11 PM
The stickers on quads are the CPSC recommendations and are required to be on new vehicles by federal law, and have nothing to do with state law. I believe those were part of the 1986 decree. According to their (idiotic) recommendations, no one under 6 should ride a 50cc quad, and no one under 12 should be on a 80-90cc quad, and non under 16 on any adult size quad. I laughing at the idea that in only two more years, TimJr now at 105 lbs, will be old enough for his Raptor 80.
The CPSC recommendations are not law. The federal law only requires the warning stickers, anda bunch of stupid stipulations and questions a dealer must ask. However some states are pushing to make them law, and many groups including the CPSC is pushing to make them federal law. Some states have decided to create their own laws. Michigan comes to mind, after ruining a vacation some years ago. No one under 10 is permitted to ride an ATV on public AND private land. Then they have series of laws regarding the required atv safety courses for minors over 10, and special age regulations for 3 wheelers. (If I remember right, you must be 16 to ride a 3 wheeler, even if its an ATC70) They must not only pass a safety course, but it must be a MICHIGAN safety course. They will not recognize any safety course for another state, so if you are a non-resident and want to take your kids riding in Michigan, you need to send them up there prior to your vacation to take an ATV safety course.
Lets just say that from that time on, our annual vacation changed to The Badlands in Indiana where it will remain. It funny that an entire sanctioned quad racing class in Ohio, Jr Mini Quad, with a max age of 9, is a crime in Michingan!
I too would like to hear of idiotic laws that some other states may have.

I'm in MI and I was at our first ice race of the season. They are having races for kids on 50cc bikes, quads and I believe up to 100cc They put the kids track inside the adults track. Strange enuff, there were 0 kid riders at this event. I don't think the laws are enforced that much except on state land. Whats strange is these lakes we are racing on are state land and they can come in and check our machines for decibil levels, spark arestors and age limits. I have never seen the dnr out there doing this but I know they can come in and check.

TimSr
01-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Maybe they just dont like out of staters! I was unfortuneate enough to get a fast education in MI ATV laws at Silver Lake. TimJr was 6 at the time, and I though I was going to get the firing squad.

x.system
01-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Maybe they just dont like out of staters! I was unfortuneate enough to get a fast education in MI ATV laws at Silver Lake. TimJr was 6 at the time, and I though I was going to get the firing squad.

Thats got to be the number one area where they are really strict with the laws because of the volume of people. I would bet if you were to come up to a race track you would not have those issues. I know the tracks I have been to promote kids racing. I checked into silver lake last year and found out the age was 12 so I took him on the state land trails instead and never had a problem. We have very few dnr officers and they are mostly checking the high trafic areas and looking for poachers. I think our county has 2 officers that actually patrol.