PDA

View Full Version : Drag races at Trikefest

CHAINSAW
01-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Anyone else excited about the drags?? :) Any classes this year, or just heads up?

Billy Golightly
01-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Man, honestly guys, we might need to extend it by a day because there is alot trying to be done in 3 days :p Heads up is probably going to be the best thing for now since there isn't a Christmas tree or anything like that to score with.

mike from long island
01-26-2005, 11:27 PM
you looking for another Z to run?????? i have my Z up and running i have plans to bring it. i planned on bringing it last year but the damnn dealership never got my jug back to me in time. all i really need to do is some more fine tuning of the carb.as soon as it gets warmer, i am going to start and get all the bikes ready. its going to be fun. i drag raced with my 87 200x two years ago and that was blast. last year i raced with my 350x and that was even more fun. i cant wait to see how the Z does this year. hope tto see a lot of drag racers. :w00t:

Derrick Adams
01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey Chainsaw, your not bringing the "Frankenstein" are you? Damn, I was kind of hoping to have one of the faster Z's there this year.

Oh well, still looking forward to it.

How about some water on the track so it isn't so damn dusty. You can't see half the video because it's a big dust bowl.

You know Howdy can rig up a watering system on his newest "half car". At least it would be useful then. I'll volunteer to bucket the water out of the pond to fill the 55 gallon drum! How about it Howdy????

Howdy
01-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey Chainsaw, your not bringing the "Frankenstein" are you? Damn, I was kind of hoping to have one of the faster Z's there this year.

Oh well, still looking forward to it.

How about some water on the track so it isn't so damn dusty. You can't see half the video because it's a big dust bowl.

You know Howdy can rig up a watering system on his newest "half car". At least it would be useful then. I'll volunteer to bucket the water out of the pond to fill the 55 gallon drum! How about it Howdy????

Why piddle around with a 55 gal drum. I will talk to Pete about getting the water tanker to wet the track down. If we need to wet the track down ourselves we won't have to worry. I got a 2" gas powered pump. That will fill what ever we need quick. Last year we didn't expect the drags to turn so dusty so quick. The dust caused some delays also. This caused the drags to take longer than expected ( making sure the strip was clear ). Anti-dust measures are High on my list of must do things.

I am also trying to come up with a good set of radio's for the MX and the drags ( to be sure we are clear to run, this will keep the drags moving quicker, and the MX safer in case of a crash. Last year we had a kids machine die out in the back stretch. I could see it from the balcony I was at but you couldn't see it from the start line. We almost had a accident, with radio's we can avoid this.
I am also trying to get some Better video equipment. I want better quality video and more of it. The video I got OK but could have been better. If I get video as good as the other people got, then I will be happy. I am going to try out a few different set ups. So far I have bought a hemit cam ( I am going to have at least one other person do some pre TF uses to get input ).

HondaATC, I have the whole week off. So adding a day shouldn't be a problem. I may actually need some help getting some things done at Haspin ( lights, camera mounts, minor repairs ). This all can be done a day or 2 before TF ( if I don't have it done by then ).

First on my list is to go down to Haspin ( as soon as the weather gets a little warmer ) to have a face to face meeting with Pete and Flo. I need warmer weather to get some measurements, and a list of supplies we need. I will have a better idea on a work schedule then.
Howdy

Billy Golightly
01-27-2005, 10:25 AM
That sounds like a plan to me. I'm already talking with 2-3 other FLA guys and ClayW from Atlanta. I might need to get bigger trailer! I want to show up as early as possible. I think Tri-Z_Jim was there on wednesday last year too. If I can help you out on anything I'll be more then glad to.

TimSr
01-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Its most likely Ill go down on Wednesday again too. I intend to get a bullhorn before ethen. For radios, the adult version walkie talkies they have out now pretty much work on the same frequencies, and many of us have them. I have a pair, but if others bring a few sets we will be able to communicate throughout the track. These would also be handy on the drag strip, and we could post a volunteer near the bottom end to call the winners, and radio it back to the front, as well as verify the track is clear. Any watering ability would be super, both on the drags and the MX. I sent them a media packet, so Im sure theyll understand the dust problem. It would be really nice if they could give the track a little attention beforehand too, or let us do it, but that might be pushing it, although national attention from DirtWheels might have some influence.
Im sending you the media money today, as soon as I figure out how much of it there is. Trophies should come out of this, and not Howdys pocket! We will need to plan the trophies before they are made, like how many, how many places, and what to put on them. Ill be doing some polling on those classes that nobody signed up for last year. If you dont need one more responibility of dealing with the trophies, I could handle that for you, but if you are on a roll, and want to continue I good with that too. Also, if you can let me know in advance of when you are heading out there I may be able to meet you out there, and help out.

Im wondering, maybe we need a planning thread or planning forum so this stuff isnt scattered among several threads?

Howdy
01-27-2005, 11:13 AM
That sounds like a plan to me. I'm already talking with 2-3 other FLA guys and ClayW from Atlanta. I might need to get bigger trailer! I want to show up as early as possible. I think Tri-Z_Jim was there on wednesday last year too. If I can help you out on anything I'll be more then glad to.

HondaATC, I know I will need a Trailer / building to secure my one machine in. I spent way too much time trying to find it ( and money for it and will on the restoration ), and I sure as heck ain't just leaving it sit out over night. No I am still not saying what it is yet. All in do time!
Howdy

Billy Golightly
01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Howdy your special machine is more then welcome to roll into my enclosed trailer where I sleep at night :p :naughty:

TimSr, the bullhorn and shortwave walkie talkies are an excellent idea. I think you can get a pair of them pretty darn cheap at walmart now-a-days. On the track, Have we decided if we are going to MX on the little one again or are we going to use the big one? Maybe both? :naughty: Maybe we should give Pete a call and explain to him what we want to do (Once we figure it out for ourselves, haha) and see what he thinks or might be able to help us with. I can make a Subforum in the Trikefest section for Planning, what do you guys think of that?

Derrick Adams
01-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I can make a Subforum in the Trikefest section for Planning, what do you guys think of that?

Please do! I would like to be aware of what's happening.

Wickedfinger
01-27-2005, 01:19 PM
My buddy John and I are gonna try and make it into Haspen early Friday that week ...... I will volunteer for anything - point me and push me. BTW, is there a measured out 300' drag there?. I can get a big wheel, walking measuring tape from work if we need it.

Derrick Adams
01-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Good to go on the drag strip Wicked.

jeswinehart
01-27-2005, 09:04 PM
heck i'm taking a 2 week vacation this year with trikefest05 smack dab in the middle of it.

john

CHAINSAW
01-27-2005, 09:42 PM

I havent decided. Kinda depends on what will show up. I might drop in one of my 250's Im working on, but if things go well, it wont be that much slower.. lol If a few guys commit to bringing some competition for the frankenstein motor, I will put it in the bike. I dont wanna have a machine that no one will race, whats the fun in that. I want something that will be fast, but yet competable.

Derrick Adams
01-27-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't know of anyone else on the board that has anything comparable to that. At least not that would come to TF. All the big motor boys play out west.

I'd like to have 2 power valved Z's out there, and hope to do well against the other 250's. I'm sure there will be at least a couple trikes there flirting with about 50hp, but I doubt anything bigger. I hope 03OrangeShee comes out to play with his Z, i'd like to pair up with him!

Horsepower is relative though, if you can't ride it.

Billy Golightly
01-27-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't know of anyone else on the board that has anything comparable to that. At least not that would come to TF. All the big motor boys play out west.

I'd like to have 2 power valved Z's out there, and hope to do well against the other 250's. I'm sure there will be at least a couple trikes there flirting with about 50hp, but I doubt anything bigger. I hope 03OrangeShee comes out to play with his Z, i'd like to pair up with him!

Horsepower is relative though, if you can't ride it.

CR500 project is all I'll say for now :naughty: :D

mike from long island
01-27-2005, 11:38 PM
i dont know what HP my Z has but with the porting and all it seems fast to me. i think it will do well. i know it isnt the fast bike built but i hope it holds it own. just found out the damn rear brakes are not working gonna have to carry a rope and anchor to stop lol. small problem i will fix sooner then later. there will be other bikes to run against too. there were a lot of people who came to haspin not from 3ww. bring what you want there is always something faster lol it is gonna be awesome. gotta get some real good coverage on video. could make some funds for 3ww off ebay. people love to watch the old school bikes compete,even if its just up

mike from long island
01-27-2005, 11:48 PM
heres a pic of my dragster :p

Meat-BoX
01-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Where is Haspin Acres. I'm taking a month and a half trip to Newfoundland in late june. Gonna cross the Island on a Quad with BigGreen and his Crew. If its possible I would like to go to Haspin allso. Im sure some Upstate NY guys are going. I'll drag my Tecate against anyone. Im sure I'll lose alot but a 100% new motor will win a few races. :beer Need new sprockets allso as my ride is set up for the Trails.

Howdy
01-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Haspin Acres is in Laural, Indiana.

Click here to see the Haspin Acres Web Site. (http://www.motocrosspark.com/haspin/index.htm)

Click here to get driving directions. (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/ddResults.py?Pyt=Tmap&tarname=&tardesc=&tarhash=&taraddr=Rt1&tarcsz=Laurel,+IN&newtcountry=us&newcountry=us&doit=1)

Howdy

Wickedfinger
01-28-2005, 07:03 PM
In theory at least, my Scrammy has just shy of 56hp right now - then again, it's no 290lb trike either.

CHAINSAW
01-28-2005, 09:59 PM
your scrammy is an old ladies quad!! We be talking trikes, not sissy rides!! hehe :p

hotroddal
01-29-2005, 09:08 PM
god dang it all this talk about trikefest and drage races gets me sorta mad that i cant go and enjoy the fun and excitement, its to far of a drive and my dad just doesnt wana drive there hauling a few trikes in a trailer, from Mt,iron Minnesota to laurel Indiana just too far driving for my dad and a trailer full of trikes.

Wickedfinger
01-30-2005, 03:34 PM
your scrammy is an old ladies quad!!
Yes, so I'm told ......... see ya on the strip.

CHAINSAW
01-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Yes, so I'm told ......... see ya on the strip.

If its dusty I wont.. lol I might give you a nice head start.

03 ORANGE SHEE
01-30-2005, 05:07 PM
i think my z has around 40-43, as far as i know it has no porting only head work,reeds,carb (40.5mm)and exhaust, if i do come, ill surely bring the shee, it runs drunk, full drag port,close to 95 hp, and on dirt or clay it crosses the line all day long at 3.90, hot, cold or muggy, and that is with a stock swingarm!

atctim
01-30-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking about putting a Dodge Viper V-10 into a ATC70 for the drags. What do you think? Should run pretty fast....

But Really, will there be a utility Class for the drags? I'm putting money on my BIg Red.............

Tri-ZNate
01-30-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm thinking about putting a Dodge Viper V-10 into a ATC70 for the drags. What do you think? Should run pretty fast....

But Really, will there be a utility Class for the drags? I'm putting money on my BIg Red.............

I hope so because my SXs want to burn something besides Polaris trailblazers, timberwoves, and big bears. They may not be pretty but they get the job done.