PDA

View Full Version : Group Ride to "Devils Backbone" at Trikefest?

Derrick Adams
01-27-2005, 12:16 AM
We definately need to get the video camera back there this year for the TF video! I'd like to see a designated time when everyone is going back, so I can watch people climb or attempt to climb it.

You know i'm going up it! Last year I was too much of a wussy, but this year i'll just wear more layers and strap the helmet tighter. :p

atckowalski
01-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Your right, but we need more cameras.One on the top, one on the bottom, one on the girls ;) :naughty:

CHAINSAW
01-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Ive heard a lot about this hill, and Im excited to see it. I doubt Ill try it, because rocks n dirt is not my thing... Im not a billy goat. Im like a sand snake :) If it were sand, Id ride a wheelie up that puppie!

YAMAHA_Jim
01-27-2005, 08:11 PM
I never tackled the backbone on 3 wheels.Maybe this year will be different. Like I said before, Everyone has a camera but then you have so much fun being at Trikefest that you forget to take pics.I'm usually too busy riding to stop and take pics.

CHAINSAW
01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
I do that everytime we go on a ride. I bring a camera and plan on taking lots of pics, but get wrapped up in riding, and it never comes out... lol

max
01-27-2005, 10:09 PM
you point, ill climb. we all ride on 3. and everyone else says we have big balls!!!!!!!!!! so lets show em. im rite behind you derrick.
king of the hill
max

Derrick Adams
01-31-2005, 10:27 AM
I know Max will go up it, who else is climbing it? Howdy needs to run the camera back there this year, it may get exciting! From what I saw last year, if you can make it up thru the raveen at the bottom, your home free! We'll see, I saw dirt bikes going down it on their front wheels last time! That's how crazy it is! I could barely walk up and down it.

A word of advice to anyone going up it, I really doubt 18" tires will cut it.

Howdy
01-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Howdy needs to run the camera back there this year, it may get exciting!

If I get the Camera's I got working properly I will have a fixed camera at the top and bottom and a Hand hend in the middle. It would be great to see the climbs from many different angles. ;)
Howdy

TimSr
01-31-2005, 11:24 AM
The best angle to see it from is over your bars!

Howdy
01-31-2005, 11:40 AM
The best angle to see it from is over your bars! I got that covered too. Via a Helmet Camera! ;)
Howdy

Billy Golightly
01-31-2005, 11:59 AM
I went up it a few times last year on my trx250r, Dunno if I got the balls to do it on a trike. If cameras are around though anything is possible, we'll see :-)

Pistonhead
01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
This hill sounds pretty bad ass! Any pics? Too bad I cant make it to trikefest, I know I'd try her :naughty: I almost arsed myself doing a super steep hill once!

MTS
01-31-2005, 02:32 PM
This hill sounds pretty bad ass! Any pics? Too bad I cant make it to trikefest, I know I'd try her :naughty: I almost arsed myself doing a super steep hill once!
yea i would also like some pics of this hill, we have some pretty knarly hill climbs hear too :p

OldSchoolin86
01-31-2005, 03:02 PM
I'll hit it with the 4ex for sure but I don't think I'll have my trike built by then. I'm still upset that I didn't see this backbone when I was at TF02.

Pistonhead
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I often do steep gravel pit "eliminator" hills, if you let off the throttle, loose concentration, or hit the wrong spot, you'd better hope you have good arse padding and fat bars!

MIK6
01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
I took it on my Prarie 700 last year. I had it in 4X4 low trying to go down slow, the engine breaking would lift the rear tires off the ground. I had to hit the gas to plant them again, I stood it on the front roller fairlead 3 times on the way down. Up was not a problem for me (in 4X4), DOWN SUCKED!! LOL
You won't see me on it w/ a trike LOL. I did see TimSr come up it on his triZ, crazyest thing I have seen.

MIK6 / Mike

3leggeddog
01-31-2005, 10:19 PM
i'm there.that hill punked me last year on my warrior,this year me and my r will have revenge.

MTS
01-31-2005, 10:56 PM
i'm there.that hill punked me last year on my warrior,this year me and my r will have revenge.
you sure you can get around the trees with that semi-wide axel on the back :wondering :eek: ;)

3leggeddog
02-01-2005, 06:35 PM
well i got a set of hubs and another set of tires,so i can have a set up for mx,and one
for trails.besides thats a buggy trail it's wide enough!!!

Meat-BoX
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have Pics of the Devils Backbone? Lets see it.

Billy Golightly
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
These are from the Trikefest 03 CD, and it was alot worse then this when I was there last year. The sheet rock is very gnarly and if you dont hit every single one just right your ass is tumbling all the way down to the bottom. It is 10 times steeper then it looks too, believe me.

Pistonhead
02-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I think I could do er', just the rocks would be my only problem.

MTS
02-01-2005, 09:25 PM
hmm lets do it on a ATC70....hehehe

Tri-ZNate
02-01-2005, 10:33 PM
It doesnt look too bad. I might try it on my SXs. Unless its really step and then I chicken out.

Derrick Adams
02-01-2005, 10:41 PM
It's like trying to ride up the steps at your local collage football stadium, except steeper!

Pistonhead
02-02-2005, 12:14 AM
hmm lets do it on a ATC70....hehehe

To bad you dont have the 90 anymore! I'd do it on that!

yamaha200E
02-02-2005, 02:50 PM
if i get my trike by then ill hit it. there aint been a hill i havent climbed yet. been many io havent made but not one i havent tried lol. well see if i have another trike by then.
kyle

Tri-Z Pilot
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
See, to me it doesnt look that bad, but I'll have to take hondaatc's word for it, he's been there, I havent. Would love to go and attempt it, but I dont have a truck, maybe I'll just ride the Z from PA. :D

P.S, does anyone have any pics from the top or side?

Billy Golightly
02-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah guys, Believe me, the pictures do not show the depth of it at all. I had my trx250R wide open in 2nd gear when I started at the bottom and it barely had enough balls to make it to the middle section. After that I started up the easier top half and my front tires were in the air the whole way up. The main problem is there is not enough room to get enough momentum to make you feel confident in doing it. Its very cramped at the bottom. Best you can do is crank up, make a circle and crank the the throttle as you make your way up. I would be very suprised if 200cc 4 stroke or less would make it up unless its got some hardcore gear reduction and a way long extended swingarm.

Derrick Adams
02-02-2005, 03:35 PM
My nephew attempted it last year on his Eton 150. He went clear to the top of the hill directly across from it and came down it wide open! He made it about 2/3 of the way up the raveen (which is only 1/3 of the hill!) The problem was, he would get hung up on a rock and loose traction.

Tri-Z Pilot
02-02-2005, 03:41 PM
My nephew attempted it last year on his Eton 150. He went clear to the top of the hill directly across from it and came down it wide open! He made it about 2/3 of the way up the raveen (which is only 1/3 of the hill!) The problem was, he would get hung up on a rock and loose traction.
How old is your nephew?

Billy Golightly
02-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Derrick, do you mean that trail that goes back over and kind of follows that creek that is real off camber? That would give you a substantial increase in momentum, hadn't thought of that.

TimSr
02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
I thought it was pretty easy, but the pictures dont show the hardest part. Youve got about 20 feet of run to hit a real steep incline that you need momentum to climb, right at the top of the incline was a large rock, and several others sticking out, so on a trike you had to kick off the big rock to get around it, then you got to the rocky part pictured which was easy if you were geared low, and easier if your motor had low end power to go with it. I hit the bottom high in 2nd, and then shifted to first as soon I cleared the steep incline, and then just putted up from there.

Billy Golightly
02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Trickiest hill I've ever been up for sure...although Florida isn't known for its rugged mountain ranges :p TimSr and Tri-Z_Jim made it look easy.

Derrick Adams
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
My nephew is 14. HondaATC there was a hill that went straight up the other side. It was pretty nasty too, from what I remember. He went up that all the way to the top and turned around and floored it! He was backing half way up it in reverse but he couldn't get enough run at it. Next thing I know, he's barreling down that hill! He never made it any further.

It wasn't that his bike didn't have the power, it just got hung up on the rocks and spun! He'll try it again this year for sure.

Tri-Z Pilot
02-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Sounds like he has some cojones (sp?) for his age, eseciall on a 150! lol!