PDA

View Full Version : 1976 ski-doo tnt ice-buildup

hotroddal
01-29-2005, 09:22 PM
ok, on my ski tnt i have a terrible ice build up under the hood and it just will not stear at all, i went to ride it today i took off and i almost hit the my garage because i could not stear, anyone haveany tips for getting rid of the ice, ive tried the torch, ive tried a hammer and a screwdriver and ive tried hitting it with my boots.

84250r
01-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Try hot water,but dont put it where the motor could suck it up.

If a buddy has a heated garage I would put it in there for a couple of hours.

Yamahauler
01-29-2005, 09:45 PM
have you been riding in powder snow? i was having trouble with my sled freezing up before because too much snow got in the engine compartment through the vents. What i would do is what 84250r said and let it completly thaw out
Then tape up the vents and take a razerblade and cut slits in the tape so the engine can still cool down. It works pretty good, there is no snow packed in my engine any more.
I am going to take the tape off when there is less powder here becuase it looks goofy

hotroddal
01-30-2005, 11:25 AM
yes i do ride in alot of powder snow, and most of the time when i do ride it i go into big drifts and stuff, and this has never happened to me before, but i will try your idea of taping up the vents, and pourin hot water on the ice and snow and see if that works,thanx for the advice.

Yamahauler
01-30-2005, 02:23 PM
If you do that, be very careful and make sure the heat can escape, i left the vents behind the windsheild wide open.
good luck!

hondawilly
01-30-2005, 05:21 PM
get hood screens

hotroddal
01-30-2005, 08:26 PM
hey hondawilly i have mesh hood screens and vents, but the snow got threw them,and thankx guys i didnt poor hot water inthere instead i just took the torch and meteld all the snow and ice from under the hood, and now it steers perfect, and then after that i ducttaped the front hood vents and cut slits in the tape and left the rear ones open.