PDA

View Full Version : Picking up an 87 TRX250R

lisnup65
01-31-2005, 01:43 PM
I am picking up a 1987 Honda TRX 250R in a few days. Before I go look at this, is there anything in perticular that I should be on the look out for. What I know about the machine. Motor was rebuilt less tha 4 hours of ride time ago. It basically is just past break in. Has all receipts for work done on motor. Machine has not been driven in around 1 year. After motor rebuild, machine had brake issues. I will need to find either front or rear brake parts to fix. Has orginal beat up plastics as well as new still in package plastics.
I am getting this 3rd person from a friend who set up the meet for the more than likely sale. I will know more after actually seeing the machine. I do not know whta I will end up paying if I get it, but I do know that the current owner is asking less than what I paid for either my 85 350X or my 85 250R.

Any words of advice or any good places to find parts besides EGAY. I always have dealt with trikes on the rebuild end. My 4 wheelers are year 2000 and newer so I never had to look for old parts.

Thanks,
Dave

x.system
01-31-2005, 09:24 PM
Check the left case for damage, drain plug, rear axle bearings, front wheel bearings, a-arm bushings. Ask if its had the clutch update kit. You can get caliper, and master rebuild kits from service honda. If your getting it really cheap you can expect to have to replace some bearings and seals. I would be more concerned with the motor and the frame. Look for cracks and bends. Stand it up on the grab bar, stand back and look at the undercarage, if it leans to the left or right it has serious frame issues. These quads are about the easyest to work on and are becoming alot cheaper to buy since the 450 came out. Parts are plentiful for these old machines.

lisnup65
02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Well here are pics of the $700ish 250R I picked up. I now need help in finding items for this machine. I never needed to look for Quad parts so an advice is helpful. I need the following:
Headlight
Tail light
Wire harness
Control switch
Air box lid
Thumd throttle and cable(has twist cable)
Front calipers and master cylinder
Oem exhaust

The swinger does not appear to be OEM. It has stickers that say Westcoast and its white. Not sure if its been painted and stickers affixed.

The motor is all intact with 8/10 hours on a .080 bore. I tested to over 190PSI with a bad tester.
The case is also 100% intact without the typical slung chain issue. The frame does not appear tweaked and its not cracked. A motor mount was damaged, but repaired at some point. All bushing and bearing are basically new.

So what do you think? I also have been offered a 1999 TRX 250R that is not as nice, but complete.

Dynofox
02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Looks like you got a good deal for $700.

thefox
02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Very nice! It looks like you got a great deal.

2strokepwer
02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
what kind of pipe is that? never mind, i see now

lisnup65
02-03-2005, 11:21 AM
what kind of pipe is that? never mind, i see now

Its a PSI pipe with unknown silencer.