PDA

View Full Version : MX Races-Big track, small track? Laps? Classes?

Billy Golightly
01-31-2005, 07:27 PM
More food for thought on discussions, which track? Personally, I would like to keep it on the smaller more technical MX track, but I would like to increase the amount of laps to say something like 5. I'm pretty sure everyone last year was feeling it after 3, but damn, if we woulda went 2 more laps I'm almost sure I coulda caught virgil on the 2nd moto! That was such a close race, neck and neck right there at the last corner.

Derrick Adams
01-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree with the small track. The big track didn't have much to offer as far as more challenges, just longer straights. I feel all that will do is make speeds higher, increasing risk to inexperienced racers.

I think the idea of the MX races last year, was to give everyone the opportunity to try it, for fun. It went great. I say stay with the small track.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a couple doubles, a step-up, or table top with a bunch of trikes flying over it. But not for the inexperienced.

3WheelsForever
01-31-2005, 08:07 PM
OOOOO Please cmon Billy you couldnt a caught me! LOL JK JK. I think itd be cool to increase the number of laps, it is such a blast being neck in neck like that! I would like to see at least one race on the bigger track but like Derrick said the higher speeds could cause injuries. This year I hope the T3 is running more than 2 weeks before TF so I can actually get sum practice and get it tuned correctly lol.

YAMAHA_Jim
01-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Billy, So thats where you were in the 2nd moto,lol I was too busy fighting off Tim sr to look over at you guys.
There are MX tracks at Haspin???? Where?? I didnt see any.
I'd say they are closer to TT tracks,especially the big one.
I'm used to a motorcross track consisting of loamy topsoil with a few stones in the mix.Very nice for getting awesome traction and roost...and Jumps that even I cant clear.
Haspin's tracks are like riding on contoured concrete....and Slippery when wet is an understatement.The jump that we used for a finish line used to be a huge double jump.The 2 jumps on the straight away used to be doubles too.That was in 2001 and I dont think they did any track maintence since then.The rest of the small track is the same too.
The Big MX track is just a waste of dirt ;or clay for that matter.
I could do alot to the small track in a few hours on the right bulldozer.I would make nice safe jumps :) I say stick with the small track for racing, If some guys wanna go play on the big track I'll watch.

Billy Golightly
01-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Hahah virgil you know I woulda caught you! Your definetly right though about when its neck and neck like that, just like the first lap when TimSr was on my ass and I heard his motor over mine the whole race, it was awesome. :TrikesOwn

Tri-ZNate
01-31-2005, 08:21 PM
A small track sounds fun. A table top sounds awesome for those of us who love air. I think that would just make everyones day.

TimSr
01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
The big track is fun to ride on, but I dont have many kind things to say about it as an MX track. It a TT track, its a high speed track, and has little to do with rider skill, which is what MX is all about. I rode half of that track completely topped out on my TRX250R. Could you imagine running smaller classes. We've got something for that already - the drag strip. The idea of MX is to test rider skill, and let them feel what its like to get a REAL workout, and test their skill as an alternative to drag racing.
There are also logistical problems with the big track. Its used a lot on weekends, and for us to comandeer it would probably cause problems, and we would constantly have to be chasing people off the track. Im also concerned about not having medical personnel on hand for a track full of beginners where the average speed on larger machines is probably 45-55mph.
I very much want to stick to the technical track and test rider skill, and not bike speed.
In my opinion, 3 laps is about right with the tracks extension we used. Even that about killed half the guys. If the majority wants to run more, I have no problem with that, but I know an awful lot of guys entered last year thinking 3 laps was too short, and exiting the track with a whole new viewpoint.
Howdy is meeting with the Haspin people before Trikefest, and we are going to try to get some help with both dust control, and hopefully some track maintence. Its good to know TriZ-Jim's services are available if we need to borrow some equipment there. I dont know what will happen, but it is being looked into.

3leggeddog
02-03-2005, 01:43 PM
well i think the small track is great,not to tricky for for the average rider.although i agree it could use some up keep,and even some work on the jumps.they need the lips reworked so we can get some air.the other thing i agree with is a few more laps,like 5.
that gives you 2 laps to get settled down and 3 laps to push hard.i know that i'm always so pumped that the first couple of laps i'm tense,after that i get relaxed and ride better.just some food for thought,thanks brandon

trikerider2oo7
02-03-2005, 10:10 PM
the big track is funner in my opinion. big jumps and the tabletop...cant wait to ride it again this year

OldSchoolin86
02-04-2005, 03:40 PM
I think it's great that we have the interest in the small track but it raises some concerns for me. The last time I saw it was in 02(it may have changed). At that time is was not a track for the novice. With the small doubles and the big one an eager beginner could get seriously hurt fast. In short, it was a track that only the skilled should be on. The big track is an easy and fun MX track and IMO more suitable for your average riders that just wants to participate in a group activity. The risk level drops greatly. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a race on the small track but I am saying that it would be unfortunate if it was the only track that races were held at. Keeping something fun and simple like the big track will only help TF grow. Not everyone is going to want the bigger challenges.

Bill X_R
02-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I think it's great that we have the interest in the small track but it raises some concerns for me. The last time I saw it was in 02(it may have changed). At that time is was not a track for the novice. With the small doubles and the big one an eager beginner could get seriously hurt fast. In short, it was a track that only the skilled should be on. The big track is an easy and fun MX track and IMO more suitable for your average riders that just wants to participate in a group activity. The risk level drops greatly. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a race on the small track but I am saying that it would be unfortunate if it was the only track that races were held at. Keeping something fun and simple like the big track will only help TF grow. Not everyone is going to want the bigger challenges.

It's changed then...It's pretty wuss-i-fied now. There was a small table top that the approach offered very little lift at all, one small jump in a straight, a fade away jump after a sharp turn and a small whoop section. The most challenging thing about it was avoiding all the ruts!

OldSchoolin86
02-04-2005, 04:07 PM
It's changed then...It's pretty wuss-i-fied now. There was a small table top that the approach offered very little lift at all, one small jump in a straight, a fade away jump after a sharp turn and a small whoop section. The most challenging thing about it was avoiding all the ruts!
LOL, well forget what I said. That's too bad, it is nice having something a little more challanging. Here was one of the doubles from that track, there used to be a bunch of them.

Bill X_R
02-04-2005, 06:42 PM
LOL, well forget what I said. That's too bad, it is nice having something a little more challanging. Here was one of the doubles from that track, there used to be a bunch of them.

Nooooo...Ida' remembered that one!!! :w00t:

I wonder what happen to it? I was there in 03 well trailprotrailpro trikefest that year. It wasnt there at that point either? Ahhhh just one less bone I got to worry about breakin'!

TimSr
03-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Our classes this year will be as follows:

2 Stroke Open
4 Stroke Open
Mid-Size Suspended - 250cc and under 4 stroke
Semi-Suspended - no rear suspension
Unsuspended
Mini Quad

Mid size suspended and semi-suspended will probably run togther, but be scored separately, because will will probably only have a couple in each class. Same thing with unsuspensed and mini quad.

Unless we have more volunteer scorers we will probably run supercross scoring format which means that 1st race is for line position in the 2nd race. If the track is still entended we will run 3 laps in the first moto, and then riders in each class can decide if they want more laps in the 2nd motor.

It will be extremely helpful if riders make a number plate for on the rear grab bar, or on their back, with thick wide numbers that are easy to read while moving. They are a few bucks at a dealer for 6" size, or black electrical tape works pretty well too. My stickers with marker were hard to read, and a lot of them fell off. Ill still bring them too, but its a lot more likely youll get scored right if they can read your number. I suggest two digit numbers, which makes duplication less likely. Again, we will also need volunteer flaggers, (they did a super job last year) and walkie talkies to go around too, if people have them to bring.

TimSr
03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
For drag races, we will run them like last year so that everybody can run as much as they want. Only difference is that near the end, we will take the faster guys from through the evening, and have a run off for trophies.