PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to make a jump?

Tri-ZNate
02-03-2005, 08:55 PM
I have been jumping my SXs on several mother nature made jumps, and have decided that it is time to make a jump of my own. I think I want to make a table top, probably like 6ft tall, and was wondering what any of you have done in the past or are currently doing to make one.

LonesomeTriZ
02-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I used a mulch pile once (and only once). I do not recomend that method. :rolleyes:

trikezilla
02-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Q: What is the best way to make a jump?

A: BIG!

OldSchoolin86
02-03-2005, 09:53 PM
It's an art that is easy to learn. Just make one and adjust as needed. You'll find out what works and what doesn't. Your asking a question that doesn't really have an easy answer. You just have to do it.

trikerider2oo7
02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
table tops are fun but require a lot of dirt...i just stacked a few railroad ties and piled dirt up to them. my friend has a piece of culvert pipe with dirt piled up to it. they are both pretty sweet jumps

Tri-ZNate
02-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Would nailing several boards together work?

Quickonstep
02-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Would nailing several boards together work?

LOL.. you want a 6 ft table top, and you want to nail "several boards" together? common man.. if you want somthing that big, one way would be to get a bunch of buddies together, some shovels, and muscle the dirt.. another way would be to get a bobcat or somthing of the like to pile it.. or stack up a huge pile of railroad ties, then pack it with dirt.. ALOT of dirt.. one thing about dirt jumps, the lip and the lines on the jump will change each time you go over it.. so youll have to get the feel for it each time you hit it..

Jesse

1984kxtTECATE
02-04-2005, 03:39 AM
I wish I had the pic on my computer, but when i rode BMX me and a couple friends dug a jump into the ground, then we raised it about a foot or so above the ground. It took a lot of work so basically you have a ramp that leads underneath the surface we dug about 2 feet down after the ramp you have a flat spot leading up to the actually jump, then the jump that starts beneath the surface extends about 1-2 feet above the surface. It is a very effective way of making a jump. I hope you could follow this because it is hard to explain in words.

TTribaLL
02-04-2005, 02:25 PM
In the town I used to live at (or near...), there was this old railway trail and about every 100 / 200 ft there was a jump. All of them were built the way that you just stated, and all seemed to be perfect to jump (bikes, dirtbikes, quads, ski-doos...whatever). And they have lasted forever too, so I'm thinking this is your best bet.

Just about every dirt jump in the city I now live at is built this way. Either that or its a lip, then a steep decline.

Heh, I can't recall how many times I have bit the dirt on my BMX...at least it wasn't cement <_<

Quickonstep
02-04-2005, 03:42 PM
I wish I had the pic on my computer, but when i rode BMX me and a couple friends dug a jump into the ground, then we raised it about a foot or so above the ground. It took a lot of work so basically you have a ramp that leads underneath the surface we dug about 2 feet down after the ramp you have a flat spot leading up to the actually jump, then the jump that starts beneath the surface extends about 1-2 feet above the surface. It is a very effective way of making a jump. I hope you could follow this because it is hard to explain in words.

thats the easiest way to do it..
you dig a hole, and the dirt you take from the hole, you put it to one side..

only ONE flaw with that.. you cant hit it full fart, because its not like your going from flat surface to an incline... your going from a flat surface, to a decline to an incline so it would take some getting used too.. but if you had a gradual deal, it would be great..

Have fun and post pics when your done

Jesse

nate b
02-04-2005, 06:25 PM
do you have any equipment. I just built one last summer, burried one of my lold cars.

TTribaLL
02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
thats the easiest way to do it..
only ONE flaw with that..

Yeah, I don't think you wanna hit one of those at +70mph
:rolleyes:

Lots_Of_Nothing
02-04-2005, 06:47 PM

Who the hell hits a backyard homemade jump doing 70 +?

350xsx
02-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Who the hell hits a backyard homemade jump doing 70 +?

i do 50-85 mile an hour for all my jumps, if you dont its gunna hurt when you hit the face of the landing of the double,(and you can say bye to your forks,frame,possibly your rim, and riding for a month or 2,
i found the best way is pile about a 10-25 foot high pile of dirt with a front end loader, smooth out the frront,tamper,or beat the hell out of it with a shovel, five it a big lip and 50-70 degree incline and make it come up into a 90 degree, and make a landing 60-150 foot away and hit it WOT at first,or where you know youll over jump it, but not by too much, see where you get, then start goin slower from there, but if you dont have a front end loader and a sprayer truck to wet it down(if your dirts loose 'round there) thats a lot of shovelin, so in that case pile a few logs, branch, or rocks up(MAKE SURE THERE STURDY) then shovel bunch of dirt on top of that unless you want a tabletop, in that case start shovelin now and ill talk to you in a month
and for whoops, get some 1-5 foot wide plastic piping, spread em out evenly and cover with dirt,
thats how i do my backyard home made jumps :beer

Tri-Z Pilot
02-04-2005, 07:13 PM
I dont think he's going to hit it at 70mph with a 250sx. :D

350xsx
02-04-2005, 07:14 PM
heey you live in Tunkhannock,Pa, :w00t: i have family that lives right there, you ever go to the Lovelton Hotel bar, my uncle owned that for i dont know how long, he just sold it to a guy Bill, damn, next time i go up there ill have to load up the bikes and we can go riding

a-camp
02-04-2005, 07:21 PM
If you dont have a tractor on your street.Its simple 5 guys 5 shovels 2 pics and all the bricks and rock you can find to fill space. Kids on my job sites pour cement lips on the storm drains to build half pipes over the weekend They pack it all in. I live buy Sheep Hills , over 50 jumps all over 6 ft in every BMX video and built buy kids with sovels.

Dirtcrasher
02-04-2005, 10:42 PM
It took me almost 4 years to build my track on about 1 acre of land. Biggest table top is 30 feet long and 6 feet high - it took ALOT of dirt to build that one. You have to use elevation changes to your benifit. Bobcats build great berms and smaller jumps but I use my Backhoe for the big ones. I'll put monster boulders under the dirt to save dirt but I won't evr use anything that will rot and could create a soft spot.

I used about 20 - 18 wheelers of fill for my track.

Each load of dirt - 200$ x 20 = 4,000$
Backhoe - 10,000$
Pissing off your neighbors everytime you fire up the backhoe to build another jump - priceless :)

Use the plywood on your shed, not for ATC jumps.

Tri-ZNate
02-04-2005, 10:55 PM
heey you live in Tunkhannock,Pa, :w00t: i have family that lives right there, you ever go to the Lovelton Hotel bar, my uncle owned that for i dont know how long, he just sold it to a guy Bill, damn, next time i go up there ill have to load up the bikes and we can go riding

Yeah I was there tonight with my dad. We have a couple of trails basically easy riding but if you want you can come up.

As for the equipment questions I have some tractors with buckets and strait blades on them. I have a several feilds so Ill just find one my dad doesnt care about and make me a big ol' one. Thanks for your help everyone.

350xsx
02-05-2005, 03:34 AM
lol oh, i didnt realize you where hittin it witha 250sx, nice 20 foot tabletops are nice for them, after that it starts botoming out very hard if you dont hit the landing perfect, the buckets work good to pile up the dirt then i use the straight blade to roughly smooth out the surface, then do the finer work with the good ol shovel,
if i do come up with my trikes id probably only bring my 250sx, i like just ridin slow up there and cruisin around, here theres not that much to look at,and not to much technical stuff, so i enjoy that when i go up there,
250sxwheeliepop, did you go to that poker run they had up there towards the end of the summer beginning of winter, i didnt know they where having it so we didnt have our bikes and we passed by it,
so you go to the High Knob, the Ram Zone, and the Colley Pub too?thats cool your from round there, my relatives are in Mehoopany
Gotta Love them 250SX's :beer

1984kxtTECATE
02-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Here are some pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/84tecate/DSCN0023.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/84tecate/DSCN0022.jpg

Tri-ZNate
02-05-2005, 09:32 PM
lol oh, i didnt realize you where hittin it witha 250sx, nice 20 foot tabletops are nice for them, after that it starts botoming out very hard if you dont hit the landing perfect, the buckets work good to pile up the dirt then i use the straight blade to roughly smooth out the surface, then do the finer work with the good ol shovel,
if i do come up with my trikes id probably only bring my 250sx, i like just ridin slow up there and cruisin around, here theres not that much to look at,and not to much technical stuff, so i enjoy that when i go up there,
250sxwheeliepop, did you go to that poker run they had up there towards the end of the summer beginning of winter, i didnt know they where having it so we didnt have our bikes and we passed by it,
so you go to the High Knob, the Ram Zone, and the Colley Pub too?thats cool your from round there, my relatives are in Mehoopany
Gotta Love them 250SX's :beer

I actually live in mehoopany but since more people know where tunkhannock is I just say tunkhannock. If your talking about the poker run in mehoopany at denorra's fireworks then yes. I was the only trike rider there. I thionk it was held on september 11. I havent been to all the pubs since im underage but I know where they are. Its neat that there is someone else on here that knows where mehoopany, PA is.

3 weelin geezer
02-06-2005, 11:26 AM
damn, 35o when you jump you do it in a biiigg way! Thats a mound as big as a house. I wouldn't want to start that big on the first try not to mention my 185 s isn't about to do anywhere near 70. Maybe if I do like Jay Leno and put a helicopter turbine in it then ...
http://home.elp.rr.com/pi8tures/Hillside%20cliffs%20.JPG

jump off of this if you dare!

350xsx
02-07-2005, 09:02 PM
lol, there needs to be someone to show up the quads geezer,its like landin a 10 foot tabletop if you have the landin built right, ill be sure to get pics now that i have a digital camera, but, yah im underage too but when im up there i go with my dad and family to the bars, everyone used to think we lived up there because we where up there every weekend lol, and yah i was talkin about the one at Denorra's, that guy used to have the best fireworks shows until he went to jail, then got out and hes not allowed to do them like that anymore :( , but do you know if there havin the poker run again next year or over the summer, ill come up and go, ill let my mom ride the 250sx, my dad the 350x, and ill ride my hopefully new T3 when i get it in march :) so youll be 1 of 4 trikes lol, how was the poker run, it looked like ther was a lot of property to ride on at his place...you might know them, the only people i know up there thats my age(your age too i guess too) Luke and Zach Dyamond?everyone else i know is older...
Later
Kyle

Tri-ZNate
02-08-2005, 10:10 AM
lol, there needs to be someone to show up the quads geezer,its like landin a 10 foot tabletop if you have the landin built right, ill be sure to get pics now that i have a digital camera, but, yah im underage too but when im up there i go with my dad and family to the bars, everyone used to think we lived up there because we where up there every weekend lol, and yah i was talkin about the one at Denorra's, that guy used to have the best fireworks shows until he went to jail, then got out and hes not allowed to do them like that anymore :( , but do you know if there havin the poker run again next year or over the summer, ill come up and go, ill let my mom ride the 250sx, my dad the 350x, and ill ride my hopefully new T3 when i get it in march :) so youll be 1 of 4 trikes lol, how was the poker run, it looked like ther was a lot of property to ride on at his place...you might know them, the only people i know up there thats my age(your age too i guess too) Luke and Zach Dyamond?everyone else i know is older...
Later
Kyle

Il let you know, my uncle is the cheif at the firecompany, which holds it every year. I think they will but ill get back to you

350xsx
02-11-2005, 06:14 PM
nice, Your uncles the chief? my sorta cousin lol belongs to the fire company, his names Cory i forget his last name because hes like not really related to me, we sold a bunch of those gun/scope raffle calenders and bought a couple ourselves....

350xsx
02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
damn, 35o when you jump you do it in a biiigg way! Thats a mound as big as a house. I wouldn't want to start that big on the first try not to mention my 185 s isn't about to do anywhere near 70. Maybe if I do like Jay Leno and put a helicopter turbine in it then ...
http://home.elp.rr.com/pi8tures/Hillside%20cliffs%20.JPG

jump off of this if you dare!

my 350x doesnt hit 70 now either, i geared it down for more accelertion because some kid thought his Z400 could beat me around the track, so i put a couple teeth bigger rear sprocket on it and 20" tires, but other things i hit the jump with will hit 70-??? :)

DX Rider12
08-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Is there any way of building a single out of a nature made "bump"? there is a lil hill after the bump so I could make it a double if I wanted. It is in the middle of a field. I have tractor with a bucket if that helps. I'll try to post pics but my computer can't transfer pics from the special program that comes from the camera. I'll ask my dad if he'll do it and if he'll e-mail them to me.

Tri-ZNate
08-17-2005, 03:16 PM
350xsx if your interested on september 25th we are having a poker run at my family's place, which is about 2 miles from denorra's. We have mud, sand, an atv track, and lots of water. DX Rider12 as far as your situation goes take some dirt from before the bump and build up the bump with that dirt.

350xsx
08-18-2005, 04:10 AM
350xsx if your interested on september 25th we are having a poker run at my family's place, which is about 2 miles from denorra's. We have mud, sand, an atv track, and lots of water. DX Rider12 as far as your situation goes take some dirt from before the bump and build up the bump with that dirt.

Looks like I'll have to get my trike goin and order all the parts real soon so i can get rid of all the teething problems i might possibly have :) im tryin to start up a powdercoatin business soon so im puttin most of my money that way, but ill sneak some to the trike fund.... ;) i'll try as hard as i can to see you than

and DX rider, do what 250sxwheeliepop said and try to give it a lip to get more height off it, or dont give it too much lip so you wont bottom outm i know ill have that problem with my 350x and this soft rear shock i put on :(

ATC crazy
08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I used a mulch pile once (and only once). I do not recomend that method. :rolleyes:

Why not? We had about 4 of those Asplundh tree service trucks dump their loads in our yard a few years ago. Once you ride over it a few times, it turns into an awesome table-top. I have pictures of me and my SX jumping it. If I had a scanner, I'd post some.

350xsx
08-18-2005, 04:50 PM
yah i use mulch piles a pretty lot and havent hada prollem, you gotta use your head, you cant go off it WOT the first time you hit any jump especially something thats has to get packed down a petty lot like mulch...plus, mulch makes a great landing and if you do hapen to screw up its not as hard on you as the packed down rock solid dirt may be......you gotta think if what your jumping off has the possibility to give way....