PDA

View Full Version : Ebay auctions, and ending early.

CHAINSAW
02-03-2005, 09:15 PM
What is it with ebay auctions here in the last couple of months. I have watched at least a dozen items now (all Tri Z parts) that go a few days, then are ended early. I know that some people offer to pay a certain amount to end an auction early, but how often is that price good enough to end it early?

I for one put things Im interested in, in my watch list. Then a day or two before the auction ends I make up my mind if I want it, and decide how much its worth to me. Here lately, the item is gone, and I have no idea what it went for. It could very well have been sold for half of what I would of gave for it.

Are the Ebay fees just getting so out of hand that people are forced to sell early? It just frustrates me that people put an item up, with no intentions of following through with the auction. Oh well, I guess Ill just give my money (probably more) to the next guy that IS willing to follow through with something he starts.

Just had to get that off my chest.

LonesomeTriZ
02-03-2005, 09:29 PM
it has to do a lot with patience. Aot of people would rather make that quick money instaed of waiting for the larger amount. I for one will not end my auctions early. I did it once or twice and regreted it. Plus, it is not fair to the people who have been tracking the item. :(

twgranger
02-03-2005, 09:38 PM
What is the item that is gone? LonesomeTriZ, is that a pic of your Z in your avatar?

LonesomeTriZ
02-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Kind of. Mine looks just like that, down to the headlight guard and 250Z decal. :D

twgranger
02-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Kind of. Mine looks just like that, down to the headlight guard and 250Z decal. :DSame here!! :D

LonesomeTriZ
02-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I actually found that headlight guard a month ago brand new still in the package. :w00t:

twgranger
02-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I actually found that headlight guard a month ago brand new still in the package. :w00t:
I found mine new too still in the maier bag with instructions. I was surfing here and there was a guy that was selling one and the post was like a year old and i said what the hell and asked if he still had it and he did!! :w00t:

LonesomeTriZ
02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
I di dnot know Mair made one as well :eek: . Mine is a Yamaha accessory.

twgranger
02-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Maybe it is a yamaha accessory, i just looked at my instructions and it don't say any brand. Chainsaw are you talking about the black radiator shrouds?? They are gone. That pisses me off too!

250SX
02-04-2005, 12:31 AM
:D :w00t:

xtremez
02-04-2005, 06:01 AM
hey if it was for the radiator shrouds i have about 4 sets of them, I will post them on ebay within the next week,And I wont end my auction early that way everyone has a chance.

1-89 yamaha blaster
82 suzuki katana 1st year
2002 suzuki katana

MO350X
02-04-2005, 09:21 AM
In that he/she doesn't HAVE to wait for a senseless bidding war.
If it's an item you want, shoot the seller an offer.
He or she can see by your feedback if you are a reputable person who isn't going to stiff them.
You, as the buyer, WILL save money most of the time.

That's how I got my ATC70 and numerous other parts-by making an offer and buying the item outright.

If the seller is willing to accept my offer, so be it.

BUT.....
if a seller ends an auction early just because the item is not going as high as they wanted it to (can you say "no reserve"?), THAT is a crock of **** and it happens quite often.

TimSr
02-04-2005, 10:11 AM
There is never any benefit for a seller to end an auction early. They have a feature called Buy It Now. If I have a Buy It Now price, I will use it! I put "Sorry, I dont end auctiones early" right in my description, yet bozos still bug the hell out of me.
Why do you think a guy makes an offer to buy it outright? He is trying to screw you over on the price, and doesnt want you to know it when other bidders raise the price to the going rate! They are not doing it to help YOU!
I get sick and tired of people who no matter how good a price you give to them, they still feel like they have to screw you. Ive offered pakage deals at a discounted rate, and they offer me less. I was "giving" my old trailer away at $60, and a guy comes out, and offers me $45.I told him to go to **** and raised the pride to $70 on him. I had a nice van that the motor was shot, I was selling for $200, advertised as needing a motor. Guy proceeds to tell me the motor leaks, and needs $100.00 in seals and gaskets so he offeres me $100.00. I told him to go to *** and raised it to $300.00 on him! What is it about people that no matter how cheap something is, they feel like they have to screw the seller over. When you are being offered something at a fraction of its value, pay the man, shut up and count your blessings.
Ive got no problem telling somebody that something is worth more than their asking price, and why Im happy to take it for their asking price. Those are the same people who give me first shot at their next "giveaway." I just sold $200 worth of 200X parts that were given to me free by one of those guys.
I strongly suggest a seller never end an auction early for one of these offers, and if you find the offer as insulting, as most of them are, tell them to go pound salt, and forward it to ebay as a TOS violation, which it is. There are 3 reasons peope make these offers. One is to screw you. Another is because theyve been banned from ebay, and once ina while youll get a guy who just needs a part right away. Youll know him, because he will offer you slightly more than the going rate for your troubles.

twgranger
02-04-2005, 10:23 AM
It is BS when they end the auction early!!! I think 250SX was SCARED that the price on the shrouds would go higher than he was willing to pay so he asked to end the auction with probably a low shitty offer.

LonesomeTriZ
02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
i agree 100% with TimSr. Ending an auction early is simply a bad idea. And if you do it becuase your item is not has high as you would like then your an ass hole. You made the decsion so stand by it. :mad:

twgranger
02-04-2005, 01:11 PM
The guy that was selling them is a peice of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!! I e-mailed him and all he did was lie, he told me they were stolen. Yeah, they were stolen from the bidders!!!!! not from him.

MO350X
02-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm sorry if I stirred up such a stink here.

When I make an offer to someone to end an auction early, 99% of the time it's for something I need soon or IMMEDIATELY.
AND.....I offer a more-than-FAIR price.
No low-balling here.
I'm not going to waste a seller's time with a stupid offer.
It sounds like you've dealt with some real losers.

BUT.....If the seller is reputable and closes early, so what?
He gets his money, I get my part.
No fuss, no muss.
Everyone is happy.
If Ebay thinks this practice is a problem, they need to eliminate that option for the seller (close an auction early).

It still amazes me that folks bid on an item early in the auction.
Weird, just plain weird.
The buyer is merely "shooting himself in the foot" by raising the price and starting a bidding war with early bidding.
Why in the world would you want to pay more than you have to?
Whew! It boggles my mind.
Sorry if that offends a seller but that's how Ebay works.
Early bidders are the seller's best friend.
I watch an item until the last hour and check the price at that point.
If it's too high, I was not meant to have it.
If it's still in my price range, I wait until the last minute to bid.

CHAINSAW
02-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I was talking about those shrouds. Id like to know what Dan gave for them. Im sure more then I would of, because Im not a Maier fan really. I was looking for some to airbrush on, because it would be a shame to paint on a good set of Yamaha ones that are in great shape to begin with.

I just like to wait until there is 2-3 days left on an item before I bid. That way I know exactly how much I can spend, and make up my mind 100%. There has been a few times I have bid early, then retracted my bid because I changed my mind or found the same thing for a better price, or in nicer condition for a little more. Im not one of those, wait till the last 3 minutes and try to snipe guys, but I usually watch my auctions close, and pay in full within seconds of it closing (unless it ends during the day when Im at work)

250SX
02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
It is BS when they end the auction early!!! I think 250SX was SCARED that the price on the shrouds would go higher than he was willing to pay so he asked to end the auction with probably a low shitty offer.

Get over it dude. If you wanted them that bad you should have made him an offer. Why would I want to give other people the chance to make me pay more if I didn't have to? That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

I told him straight up that they'd probably bring more if he let it run, but I was right there with cash in hand making an offer on the whole shooting match and he didn't want to fool with it all. Now I have some tri-z frames & a yt125 I have no use for, but it was a package deal.

Apparently you managed to win a new friend with this guy since he's already called me to ask what crawled up the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro of some of these "ebay people" who're going psycho over these auctions. :D

grundlegrabber
02-05-2005, 11:33 PM
I got my '85 350X off ebay, got the seller to end it early for $1500! This was just last year. Sellers can save a few $$ on ebay fees, but you can also screw yourself too. I almost never end auctions early, but I have gotten some good deals from sellers who did!

3 weelin geezer
02-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I agree with TimSr. I've had people offer me almost half for what I wanted for my ramcharger then they had the balls to start the bidding in reverse because they didn't have that amount to start with then it needed a new exhaust, the trim on the door was missing (needed new plastic clips that were included in the deal) then it needed a new battery(not!) then it needed a new paintjob because of the mismatch little spot of spray can paint so it wouldn't rust beyond a few rock pits ..... Damn!! I would end up paying them to take it!! I told them to get bent. I sold it a few days later for what I was asking for.

StangLX302
02-06-2005, 03:24 PM
There are some legit reasons for ending early though. Case in point: I "won" a 200x carb (or so it was advertised as one) from a seller. It came to my house and I looked it over and it looked okay. I then put my original carb up for auction. A few days later, I had 3 or 4 bids on it. I then went to order a rebuild kit for the "200x" carb. When I looked up the numbers on the side of it, it turned out not to be a 200x carb, but just a standard 200s carb (basically the same as the 185s).
Well, my original one worked fine and I wanted to re-install it so that I wouldn't have any down time. I didn't want to put the 200s carb on my trike, why bother?, so I had to end early as "item is no longer available."

CHAINSAW
02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
So you just like to buy other carbs, when the one you have work fine? Then turn around and rebuild the other one you just bought?

Either Im reading your post wrong, you didnt explain well enough, or the last option.. your a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Orangecnty250r
02-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Or a few CARBS short of an Atkins diet, or a few JETS short of an airshow, or a few FLOATS short of a river trip, or a few NEEDLES short of a church sewing club, or a few CHOKES short of a chicken. Sorry I couldn't hold back.

StangLX302
02-07-2005, 02:51 AM
No, I was trying to upgrade from a 22mm to a 24mm. I have it all straight now and the 24mm is on there.

CHAINSAW
02-07-2005, 08:50 PM
I see... You should of clarified that in the post. :)

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-07-2005, 11:33 PM
i bet he would not have won them, ive been looking for them for some time(like a headlight shell)and i would have paid $200 for them, so if you read this and have nos ones, pm me and you will have $$

250SX
02-09-2005, 01:10 AM
No argument there. No way would I have paid $200 for a set of tri-z shrouds. He wasn't gonna throw in the resleeved '86-7 T3 cylinder, new OEM '86 T3 fender, and the YTZ shrouds until I threw him an extra yard. :)