PDA

View Full Version : yfz 450

yamahaman89
02-07-2005, 10:26 AM
i plan to buy this in the next month is a good buy?

lisnup65
02-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Powerful, light, new, whats not to like. Time will tell on cost to maintian though. The more technology they put in, the more it will cost in the long term.

Live4today
02-07-2005, 05:10 PM
They are a high maintenance machine, more so than most others because it's purely race inspired. But boy do they haul @$$ and look good.

OldSchoolin86
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I've got one in my group and he never has to do any maintenance to it. It's proven to be a very reliable machine in my camp.

KASEY
02-07-2005, 11:46 PM
i have had mine 8 months ,,, changed the oil a few times and thats all,,,, fun, fast, light , flys like a bird , best all around machine i ever rode,,,,

yamahaman89
02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
well nw i got my eye on the 660r hows that one

Bill X_R
02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I'd stick with the 450. Only rode the Raptor. It was fast, and oh yea it was fast, but other than that, IMO I don't have anything else nice to say about it.

OldSchoolin86
02-08-2005, 01:23 PM
well nw i got my eye on the 660r hows that oneStay away from the craptor. Unless you absolutely need reverse then stick with the yfz. The yfz is faster, has better suspention/geometry and won't get you stuck in an open class if you want to race.

lisnup65
02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
What I meant about the time will maintanence was the cost of when the machine does need going through. On the Yamaha with its 5 valve head, with a cost on average of $85.00 per valve, thats one expensive motor to do work on. Now just think about valve seats, springs, etc. Now you have 2 $200.00 each cams in that sucker. To rework the head, you will have $1500.00 in it by the time you are done.
In a few years these potent high output 4 strokes will need to be wrenched on and the cost will out weigh the cost of replacing the machine.

I like these new machines, but with the technology comes the cost of expensive repairs!!!

OldSchoolin86
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
What I meant about the time will maintanence was the cost of when the machine does need going through. On the Yamaha with its 5 valve head, with a cost on average of $85.00 per valve, thats one expensive motor to do work on. Now just think about valve seats, springs, etc. Now you have 2 $200.00 each cams in that sucker. To rework the head, you will have $1500.00 in it by the time you are done.
In a few years these potent high output 4 strokes will need to be wrenched on and the cost will out weigh the cost of replacing the machine.

I like these new machines, but with the technology comes the cost of expensive repairs!!!
WOW!!! You gotta start shoppin around. You can get a set of hot cams w/spring kit, 13:1 piston kit w/gaskets (JE or Wiseco), cylinder bore, Head porting and valves IF you need them for $1500. Keep in mind though, that's a full race ready motor now.

BigAir660R
02-08-2005, 06:35 PM
nothing wrong with a raptor, just dpends on what u wanna do. if your really want to get into racing get the 450. if you just want o have fun and go fast get the rappy. I love mine and im not one sided. I would love to have a 450 but the 660 does what i need when i want it to plus i got a great deal on it. And on top of that ill jump raptor just as well as a 450 just got to know how to do it. Also the raptor is fastor topend but the 450 will get there a little quicker.

OldSchoolin86
02-08-2005, 10:42 PM
nothing wrong with a raptor, just dpends on what u wanna do. if your really want to get into racing get the 450. if you just want o have fun and go fast get the rappy. I love mine and im not one sided. I would love to have a 450 but the 660 does what i need when i want it to plus i got a great deal on it. And on top of that ill jump raptor just as well as a 450 just got to know how to do it. Also the raptor is fastor topend but the 450 will get there a little quicker.
The 450 gets there a lot quicker, has way better front shocks, way better geometry and has plenty of top end compaired to the raptor.

Merriman
02-09-2005, 03:27 PM
The YFZ 450 is the way to go. If you want more information than you can handle on the bike, visit www.yfzcentral.com

BTW I have a YFZ, and have only done the normal maintence like oil changes, filter cleans and so on, and I have not had one problem with the bike. I am also one of the first guys to have the YFZ since I bought mine at the end of June 2003. The motor still runs good after alot of racing, and hard riding.

And when I go to rebuild my motor, I may have $1500.00 into the top and bottom end with a ton of aftermarket parts into it.

BigAir660R
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
The 450 gets there a lot quicker, has way better front shocks, way better geometry and has plenty of top end compaired to the raptor.

it does get there a bit faster and does have better shocks but the topends the raptor is faster, only thing faster is a ds650 on topend. anyways the 450 and 660 are 2 different machines for 2 different purposes. Ride both then decide what u want. Just for the record i like both, but if i was gonna buy a brand new one i would probably get the new honda 450 also look for the new suzuki there are supposed to be coming out with a 450 also.