PDA

View Full Version : Help with Yamaha Warrior Stalling

jdparsons1
02-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a 2000 Warrior that is giving me a weird problem. Starts and runs great but will suddenly stall. Heres what i've done so far, Checked timing, valve clearance, replaced spark plug, pulled carb off and cleaned all the jets and passage ways out. I also did a compression test and it checks good at 140lbs.

This ones got me stumped. It will start and idle smooth and then it sounds like it takes a choke of a air and stalls. Doesn't sputter or anything while idleing or when giving it gas, Just ,,, boom, and then stops. Is there a vacuum tube on the carb on the warrior cuz the only hoses im seeing on it is the fuel from the tank, the drain hose at the bottom, and a breather tube at the top that is loose.

J.D.
02-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Back in the day when me and Uncle Arlis used to race Warriors, we would run them off a cliff to solve this problem. Running each other other when this happened also helped.

jdparsons1
02-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Wow! Thanks!

J.D.
02-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Hey lemme know how it works for you, worked like a charm for me!

TimSr
02-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Im getting some vague black and white images in my head from my archive memory, but Im thinking something about a switch on a control lever, I think the front brake lever, maybe. I cant remember what its supposed to be for, but I seem to remember something about similar symptoms when it fails. Does anybody know what Im talking about?

Wickedfinger
02-14-2005, 01:43 AM
... Tim, are you talking about the famous "little green wire" on the reverse system? or the TORS stuff?. I know that so called TORS "safety" system Yamaha came up with is known for causing all sorts of "spooky" problems that can be difficult to diagnose - but - I do know that green grounding wire on the reverse system has caused countless warrior owners minor headaches. I will say that for some reason, especially on Yamahas, if you have a CDI going bad, they can heat up and quit, only to start working again when they cool, even a little - but - CDI failures are very rare. In any event, I'm going to take a fuel delivery approach and go from that point. Since you said you checked the carb, it might be as simple as a clogged gas tank vent tube so I would check that for sure. I would also check the fuel line/filter (I think theres one on the later Warriors?) to make sure you're not starving for fuel. For that, I'd start with the petcock by seeing if it has the same problem while running on the reserve setting (clogged upper pickup), then working your way back. I would take off the fuel line at the carb and give her a good blow of compressed air (towards the tank) for good measure.