PDA

View Full Version : 20" or 22" tires on my TRX250R

lisnup65
02-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I am getting readu to purchase new rear tires and rims for my R. I know that the stockers are 20" which helps on the accerlation, but I was thinking of going with 22" for the little added ground clearance. This machine will almost always be ridden woods, and logging trails as we dont have much else in this area. I was going to do 10" rims so I have standard sizes between machines in case I ever want to swap out tires from 1 to the other.

Oppinions, comments, concerns?

OldSchoolin86
02-15-2005, 03:18 PM
22's on 10" rims look and perform great, IMO. If your worried about acceleration all you have to do is drop a tooth on your front sproket. It will feel exactly the same and you still gain like 1 mph on the top.

lisnup65
02-15-2005, 04:27 PM
22's on 10" rims look and perform great, IMO. If your worried about acceleration all you have to do is drop a tooth on your front sproket. It will feel exactly the same and you still gain like 1 mph on the top.

The acceleration is just a minor concern as the 250R's do it quickly to begin with. I really like the 10" rims as they create a nice no profile tire that is ohhhhh sooooo friendly in the turns. Just not sure about adding the 2". I am looking at Maxxis tires so I know they are not a true 22" tire though.

If I do the rears at 22 should I up the fronts to 22 also or keep the 21". Tire sizes vary so dramatically as you are not sure what you are getting till they come. I have Maxxis Razx on my Warrior and those 21" are around 2" shorter than the 21" factory Ohtsu rubber on the R.

Billy Golightly
02-17-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm running 22in All traks on my TRX250R with the stock 9inch rims. I wouldn't trade them for 20's in any condition except for a track. I'm running 12/42 gearing and with that the All traks perform awesomely. Traction is almost never a problem and the extra ground clearence is a very nice added feature.