PDA

View Full Version : Helmet cam clip of devils backbone at TF04

kimmer250r
02-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Here's a clip of the rhino on Devils backbone last TF on my helmet cam. Hard to see how steep it is, but you'll understand if you see it in person. rhino vid (http://www.rcpics.net/media/rhino.mpg)

MTS
02-25-2005, 05:14 PM
hmm, im still not impressed with all this talk of it, it looks like a normal hill around hear.......steep wise, but we dont have clay chunks like that, its loose dirt, roots, mud....

83200e
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing.It's gotta be steeper when you see it in person for everyone to talk like they do of it.Cool video though.

OldSchoolin86
02-25-2005, 05:55 PM
It didn't sound like the atv was working for it all. Good video clip though.

TimSr
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Good clip Kimmer! The way they went, you couldnt get through with trikes. The ruts were too deep, and there were too many, too big, frame catching rocks. Where we hit it, it was a lot steeper, but smoother until you crested the embankment. I tried 3 times to take this route the year before, and couldnt get through, and had to take the alternate route. It is a lot steeper than it looks in the video.

atcmatt
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Man if its how it looks in the video clip I could climb that thing on the BIGRED all day long :D . Awesome clip though mate !

Matt

MTS
02-25-2005, 06:08 PM
ahhh that would explain it tim, thanks, it is a cool clip for sure....wish we had an ORV park hear, its just farmers land we ride on most of the time, :D :beer

chris200x
02-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Pretty awesome video. So how are those rhinos? I've heard those are about the best in its class. Don't you have trouble gettin around on quad trails though?

Billy Golightly
02-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Thats a sweet video but believe me it doesn't do the hill any justice. Maybe I'll try to get some pictures of it this year at an angle where the depth and height will show.

Tri-ZNate
02-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Phew I was gonna say, if that was the devils backbane then some of you dont do very much step hilll climbs. The left side looks much steeper too. You did well on the video by preventing the cam from bouncing up and down very much. We have a Polaris Ranger 6x6 and that is awesome for trails. But I hear the new Rhinos will give anything a run for their money.

TimSr
02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Pretty awesome video. So how are those rhinos? I've heard those are about the best in its class. Don't you have trouble gettin around on quad trails though?

When I first aw it I almost laughed, thinking it belonged more on a golf course than ATV trails. Lets just say I left much better educated than I came, with a whole new respect for that thing! I was in awe.

Trikeaholic
02-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Who was with you on that run? the voice sounds familiar........who was it? Do you remember?

kimmer250r
02-25-2005, 08:15 PM
It was either you (trike) or my brother-in-law....can't remember which...lol.

I had the camera mounted on the dash, but the rhino rides so nice that it doesn't shake the camera around.

Howdy
02-26-2005, 01:56 AM
That is some good video Kimmer. To anyone that thinks the hill isn't steep remember this: Trees tend to grow straight up. If you watch the video and look at the trees along the way you can get a little better idea how steep the hill actually is. I cut a couple pictures from the vid to show the Tree angle a little better. Knowing the way trees grow and seeing the pictures then go back and watch the video. You will see the hill is a lot steeper than it appears at first glance in the video. ;)
Howdy

atcmatt
02-26-2005, 03:14 AM
Ha, thanks for that Howdy, yeh it is pretty damn steep hey! I still think i would climb it on my 250es! Has anyone tried on a utility before?

Matt

YAMAHA_Jim
02-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Awesome video kimmer, Pics and vids dont do that hill justice. How much did that camera cost?
The backbone is tough but not the toughest I've been on.I have hills here in NY that make the backbone look minor. Most guys that see the backbone for the first time get nervous and end up backing out of the challenge.There is one hill on the backside of Haspin thats longer and tougher than the backbone but its not as steep.I've only been able to find this hill twice in the 4 times I've been there.

OldSchoolin86
02-26-2005, 01:09 PM
That is some good video Kimmer. To anyone that thinks the hill isn't steep remember this: Trees tend to grow straight up. If you watch the video and look at the trees along the way you can get a little better idea how steep the hill actually is. I cut a couple pictures from the vid to show the Tree angle a little better. Knowing the way trees grow and seeing the pictures then go back and watch the video. You will see the hill is a lot steeper than it appears at first glance in the video. ;)
Howdy
I just don't think pictures are going to do it any justice. Even the pick you show with the tree marked doesn't look too bad.

Trikeaholic
02-26-2005, 01:28 PM
It was either you (trike) or my brother-in-law....can't remember which...lol.

I had the camera mounted on the dash, but the rhino rides so nice that it doesn't shake the camera around.

It sounds kinda like me, thats why I asked. THat was a heluva ride, too. Lost of fun. You gotta take mrs. holic up that hill this year if I can get her to come to TF.

Billy Golightly
02-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Awesome video kimmer, Pics and vids dont do that hill justice. How much did that camera cost?
The backbone is tough but not the toughest I've been on.I have hills here in NY that make the backbone look minor. Most guys that see the backbone for the first time get nervous and end up backing out of the challenge.There is one hill on the backside of Haspin thats longer and tougher than the backbone but its not as steep.I've only been able to find this hill twice in the 4 times I've been there.

Jim is that the one me you Ric and Virgil were on when Virgils carb came off his 350X? Or is it another one?

bigredhead
02-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Man.. hills always get my blood rushing.. but they're always a bigger rush when you get to the top slightlly out of control but in good form.

Went last weekend, snow had melted just enough to freeze and make a thick crust. you could litteraly ride anywhere you want and float. Made a valley that we normally can't do in summer ( too much water ) and i blew up the hill and freaked myself out.. man it was fun. :D

That hill would be fun after a good rain !!

r00sty
02-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Billy, you can get better pics of it this year as I'm either ripping up it or rolling back down it, upside down, I am impressed, but as Jim said there is alot of riding like that around here as well. :cool:

Jim, you and I will find your other spot this year, you have me more excited than I was before I read this post!! :beer

YAMAHA_Jim
02-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Billy,That wasnt the hill,but that was tough too. Tim Sr,Tim jr and myself rode down it on one of our outings.Wasnt bad to go down but up it was a challenge.

Tri-ZNate
02-27-2005, 10:22 PM
There is one hill on the backside of Haspin thats longer and tougher than the backbone but its not as steep.I've only been able to find this hill twice in the 4 times I've been there.

Ok when we all get to Haspins spread out! We must find this hill. My hill climbing urge is bubbling over. :Bounce

Yardbird
02-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Does this look steep? Granted it's not rocky and rutted. I also went up just to the left of that center ridge that goes up the middle. Maybe 15-20 feet to the right where I'm at in this picture. I didn't go all the way up but go off to the left and come down behind the hill I'm going up. That top ridge was just too much for my liking. It's a little tricky getting some speed up the hill due to the whoops and about 6 inches of dust at the bottom of the hill. Gotta love the dirtbikers watching!!! After watching the video it's making me want to make the roady to TF05.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/33614/me%20copy.jpg

Billy Golightly
02-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Billy,That wasnt the hill,but that was tough too. Tim Sr,Tim jr and myself rode down it on one of our outings.Wasnt bad to go down but up it was a challenge.

Ah ok, wasn't sure, figured I would ask. We'll have to do like 250sxwheeliepop said and see if we can find it this coming year.

Yardbird, Actually that does look pretty steep, and long too. Where is that at?

Yardbird
02-28-2005, 12:29 AM
It's Shell Reef out at Ocotillio Wells in SoCal.

MTS
02-28-2005, 12:47 AM
dang that looks fun yardbird