PDA

View Full Version : Why are sellers rude.

seadoo650
02-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I got this e-mail from another ebay seller. What an trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. He is from Jim Felts Mitsubishi in Illinois. I think he's jealous cause his are'nt selling. I always use other ads for information on stuff. It even recommends to do that in Ebays tips section.

Dear seadoo650,

I don't mind that we're selling the same product but do you have to copy my product description? Poor Form!

The first is my ad the second is his. Tell me what's wrong??? I did not copy his ad word for word. Just the description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4530530864&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42611&item=4531888196&rd=1

Also, what the heck am I supposed to do list the item as something totally different than what it is?????? I wonder if he would be happy if I'd had listed it as Playskool.

twgranger
02-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Screw him!! I don't see nothing wrong.

1984kxtTECATE
02-28-2005, 04:13 PM
I think that guy is on crack. Your start time was on the 23rd and his on the 28th. Did you send an e-mail back to him, to prove he is a du-mass.

x.system
02-28-2005, 04:14 PM
It looks like you copied his add word for word or copy and paste, then changed alloy to aluminum. No offense but you should write your own description.

1984kxtTECATE
02-28-2005, 04:16 PM
It looks like you copied his add word for word or copy and paste, then changed alloy to aluminum. No offense but you should write your own description.

The guy copied seadoo's ad, because his auction started on feb.23 and the other guys started on feb.28th

x.system
02-28-2005, 04:19 PM
The guy copied seadoo's ad, because his auction started on feb.23 and the other guys started on feb.28th

Check his other auctions, he has 6 of them listed.

1984kxtTECATE
02-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Hmmmmm, i only found four and they said they all started feb.28??? So im not sure if I am looking in the right spot or mabye missed one, oh well.

TimSr
02-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Ive got to agree. I know no harm was meant, but when you are selling something, and somebody gets on and sells the same thing, its a downer but there is nothing you can do. But when he then copies your own ad to compete against you with its a real slap in the face. Try and put yourself in that position, and you would probably be annoyed too.

I had a guy try to sell Blue Marble Oil on ebay. He not only copied my ad, but also used my photo. Nothing burns worse than a guy trying to undercut your sale witha picture of YOUR bottle of product, and YOUR office carpet in the photo background under it! I reported it to ebay, and they pulled his ad. Ebay rules do not allow you to copy someone else text or photo in your ad. He had to relist it, and write his own ad, and supply his own picture.

seadoo650
02-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Well I am selling this for a friend. I did'nt know much about it and got all my information from other ads. I did not copy it word for word, I did not copy his main listing, or any pictures. I did copy the description. Maybe a couple of phrases(not intentionally).
It would not bother me one bit if somebody copied my ad. All things being equal I will buy the one with the lowest price. I started my ad at 49.99. I'm taking a risk of selling too low. I checked other ads for the same item and the description parts (DESCRIPTION) are the same because that is what it is.

DeePa
02-28-2005, 06:00 PM
when someone rips off your picture, and say you have it hosted on your own site, all you have to do is edit the picture with paint and say stuff like "I AM GOING TO SCAM YOU" or "IM GOING TO STEAL YOUR MONEY" and change your auction pic to the unedited one with a new filename. That will teach him never to rip someones picture off again.

sabre362
03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
I have to agree, this does look like you copied him "Lock, Stock and Barrel".

If you look at the completed listings for that fuel door (it's a little box you can click on the left side of your screen). This guy has sold 8 of these since Feb 15th. His payment update was done in October of 2004! Heck, he sold two yesterday and six in total since yours was listed! It looks like he's been selling these for a long time and he sells alot of them. If you're going to copy a listing his is probably the one to copy cause he sells the most of them.

I'm thinking you are in the wrong here and on top of that now you're blasting this guy over the internet with this listing! All he did was send you an email asking you to change your text? He didn't contact ebay and have your item pulled which he has the right to do? And your blasting him for this?!?!?

I think he (Jim Felts Mitsubishi) took the high road here.

To quote Guido the Killer Pimp in Risky Business...."Don't ever F*** with another mans livelyhood".

seadoo650
03-02-2005, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE=sabre362]I have to agree, this does look like you copied him "Lock, Stock and Barrel".

Did you read both ads. Not quite lock, stock and barrel. I'll admit I should of deleted the end that was the same but the rest is still the description.

sabre362
03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I read both.....

This is his...

"You are bidding on a new OEM Mitsubishi ALLOY FUEL DOOR PN#AEC00YDX02. This alloy door is brand new in the box. These doors fit Eclipses from 2000-2004. These are the real thing, brand new from Mitsubishi. Give your Eclipse a sporty look!!! Don't settle for cheap aftermarket parts!

This is yours..

"You are bidding on a new OEM Mitsubishi ALUMINUM FUEL DOOR PN#AEC00YDX01. This aluminum door is brand new in the box. These doors fit Eclipses from 2000-2004. These are the real thing, brand new from Mitsubishi. Give your Eclipse a sporty look!!! Don't settle for cheap aftermarket parts!

I know after this part the endings are a little different, he talks about shipping, you talk about an instruction sheet but jeez, the main block of the description is identical except the aluminum vs. alloy thing. This guy had a good reason to be PO'd at you.

BTW- In his letter he said he didn't care that you were selling the same product as him, he didn't even mention that you were undercutting his price, he didn't even tell you to change the description. He just pointed out that it was in "poor form" to copy his text and he is correct.

One more thing..... the other guy (Jim Felts Mitsubishi) did not publicly try to make you look like a fool did he? He didn't report you to ebay did he? He didn't have your product pulled did he? He didn't print what would be considered "private" email on a forum board did he?

I'm sure when he sent you that email he did not expect it to be shown on a forum board, it should have remained private. It's not right for you to publicly post what was sent in private, and he has no way to respond. That's an internet sucker punch. You are trying to drag someone thru the mud when it is YOU who is wrong.

seadoo650
03-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I am not trying to make anybody look like a fool! If you read my first thread I ask "tell me what's wrong" and you and others did. I admit that I should have changed the ending but the rest is still the description of what the product is. As far as undercutting his price, come on. I did mine as an auction starting at 49.99. His is set at a fixed buy it now price. Two totally different selling strategies.
He did not report me to Ebay because he can't. Ebay will not pull an ad for duplicating a description. They will for duplicating a whole ad.
Like I said I am not trying to make anybody look like a fool. Just wanted to know what I did wrong. I say thank you for your advice. I know some say it was fine some say no and I will heed all advice given.
I have also sent the seller an e-mail and apoligized for copying his ad in to much detail. He said it was ok and he understood that I did not mean any harm.
This is the end of this topic.

daveds50
03-02-2005, 01:16 PM
He did not report me to Ebay because he can't. Ebay will not pull an ad for duplicating a description. They will for duplicating a whole ad.

actually, yes, they will pull the ad if reported, even if it slightly resembles the same ad. read the VARO rules about "in part, or whole".
me, being a powerseller with really good ad's and photos, get my ad's stolen all the time, despite my warnings clearly in my ad's.
what they dont know, is i do an occasional search on key words that are in my ad's, and catch those who copy. couple of days later, their ad no longer exists.
if you wrote a book, would it be ok for anyone to copy it without your permission ? i think not.
the ad you copied was a pretty simple ad, but mine are super descriptive, and a lot of work went into the basic format. yeah, it bothers me when someone steals what took me days to come up with.
but not to slam you... however, next time, write your own. there is no danger of your auction being pulled if you do your own work.
dave

seadoo650
03-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks Dave. I'll be sure when I research something I've not sold before not to make it similar to the other ads.