PDA

View Full Version : 1976 ski doo tnt 440

hotroddal
02-28-2005, 10:52 PM
ok my friend has a 1976 ski doo tnt 440 and he is about 245lbs and before i sold it to him it was a power house and would do ski stands and i could whip donuts and get it to fishtail, but when he rides it he has to give it 3/4 throttle all the time to even make it move with him on it, but i only weigh 137lbs but a jump from 137 to 245 can it make that much of a difference in the torque and stuff?, and before i sold it i put a new secondary clutch assembly , new belt, new brake pads, greesead all the boogies, installed new plugs, and put new coils and plug wires on it, and installed new piston rings and honed the cylinders, and greased the steering,and i know the brakes are NOT dragging the track spinnes freely, and it wont spin out at all with him on it, so is the problem just too much weight on it or what is going wrong cuz i feel sorta bad for hime that it doesnt move him to well, but it didnt do any of those things when i had it.

4cylinders
02-28-2005, 11:10 PM
hey, 2cycle, plugged muffler, bad gas, too rich, etc. hmmm, there are some things some people will never understand. changing brands of gas and/or mix.

hotroddal
02-28-2005, 11:21 PM
hey thankx i will tell him to check the muffler to see if it is plugged, and if it is plugged do i just use gas and just run the gs through it to clena it or what???

MTS
03-01-2005, 12:48 AM
sounds like he just needs to loose some weight! them 440s are ok but they aint got that much power......he IS mixing the gas right? ....

hotroddal
03-01-2005, 08:24 AM
he hasnt even ran a full tank of gas out of the sled yet and the fuel ratio is 50:1 and he just got it on saturday,and when i sold it to him i mixed the gas 50:1 for him so he wouldnt have to do it for a while. and another thing is that i ordered a k&n air filter for it do ya think that will help at all???

rustbucket
03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
sounds like its only running on one lung or maybe it could use a carb cleaning. Those 440 tnt were actually pretty hot We had had a 75 with slides and it was fast.

4cylinders
03-01-2005, 02:16 PM
hey, I'd go over and ride it first, then go fron there. If it's the muffler, you have to burn it out, or hot tank it.

MTS
03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
hotrod....have YOU tried riding it again?....im just thinking it cant haul his ass.....also check the plugs, they tend to crap out and run on one cyl or somthin like that

hotroddal
03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
yes it has new plugs and i have tried riding it after him and its a rocket with me on it but with him its just got no balls at all, and it is running on both cylinders for sure,so i have ruled out the following so far, bad plugs, bad clutches, bad belts, bad plug wires, bad coils, bad track, bad slides, bad track wheels, but one thing i know are worn out is the wear rods, but again its a rocket with me, also it will have a new air filter pritty soon, and i have cleaned out the carb before i sold it. so what i am thinking is that it just cant power him around the greatesst.

BigGreenMachine
03-01-2005, 11:53 PM
You did a great job of answering your own question. I fly on my little Bravo 250 but put a 250 pound man on it vs. 120 pounds of me and....

MTS
03-02-2005, 01:54 AM
bravo, you did do a great job of figuring out the problem, ...plain and simple for you HIS ASS IS TO FAT FOR IT!

hotroddal
03-02-2005, 09:48 AM
ok i sorta figured that was the problem all olong, but i thought there might have been something so tiny that would make a difference but there wasnt so anyway thanks for the help.