PDA

View Full Version : My New Project Ski-doo

BigGreenMachine
03-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Maybe two weeks ago I got my Tecate going again and took it for a ride. Found out quickly that the carb is still not set up right. So pi**ed off as I am I decided to let it sit on the backburner for a few months.

I've now began work on my ski-doo, a 1990 Yamaha Bravo short track.

It has been mine since last winter, since I've got it I've replaced some broken parts and put it through hell and back and it still runs like a clock. Problem is the front suspension pivot. The bolts are ripping sheetmetal. Its fixable but I decided a replacement body would be more fun to work with. List of planned mods.

1) The bodies on these machines are pop riveted together and abuse can lead to major breakage so I'm going to weld the entire body solid to strenghten it.

2)The body will have a thick plastic bellypan to keep it from lookin like the one on it now.

3) The floorboards, they always bottom out in deep snow and get you stuck. Going to cut and reshape them and add minipegs to brace them keeping them from flexing.

4) Using heavy duty skis from a Bravo Transporter for durability.

5) Raising the rear ride height for ground clearance and using a gas shock instead of the crap hyraulic piece.

6) Cutting the back half of the seat foam off for weight savings and using the exposed deck for a snowboard/gas can rack.

7) Removing the premix system for weight and because I dont trust it.

8) Making some control changes like one switch for lights/kill.

9) Cutting my stock Tecate pipe and making it fit. Puttin a drag pipe style silencer on it. (BRAAAaaaap!!!)

10) Using my Tecate carb on the sled motor. From like a 28 to a 34mm...maybe too big.

11) Maybe an Enticer 300 swap. If not then I will go with a Wiseco piston and some polish work to make sure everything flows 100% the way it should.

12) Uncluttering the engine bay to make its clean and functional. No unnessary wiring or plastic covers, general cleanup for weight savings.

13) Shaving off the rear tail light housing.

14) One tooth bigger on the bottom gear to get some more bottom end.

15) No windshield, red Powermadd hand guards and 45/90 degree bar ends.

16) Clamp on UNI snow filter and junked airbox housing.

17) Bigger drive belt from a 340 Enticer.

Should be started on this project by the wkend, first I'll complete all the body mods. Buying an 89 Bravo shorttrack in great condition for $300, gettin what I need and parting what I can. This skidoo will be built to climb, bust powder and rule the tight trails around here (well rule when I'm riding with more Bravo's and the like). Its always been a capable machine and gets me where ever I point it, I'm just making it better and totally original. Hope everything works the way I want it. Only mod so far is some BMX bike handlebars that replaced my toasted originals.

Heres a pic of what I'm working with in case some of you don't know what a Bravo is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/de17006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/de17004.jpg

MTS
03-02-2005, 01:29 AM
if your lookin for a deep powder hill climber why are you sticking with a short track???? thats gona kill ya the most...

BigGreenMachine
03-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Good point MTS, very true. A longtrack conversion(simple bolt-on) will be in the future. As of right now she is a great hillclimber but needs more power and suspension.

rob0781
03-02-2005, 12:22 PM
i'm building my sled up over the summer too but i'm keeping it stock and trying to make it near mint....I just want a good reliable trail machine that looks good...I got a spare cab so i started that i'm fixing any cracks/chips with fibre glass then sanding it and bringing it to the body shop to paint..

trikerider2oo7
03-02-2005, 12:30 PM
nice sled...looks like it will be a good project. someday i will own a snowmobile. ive always wanted one

MTS
03-02-2005, 09:55 PM
heh, just figured i would point it out, i will probably be getting a sled for next winter...i may be making a hybrid of my own...with a certian persons back 10 that i know of LOL...proly use an old 289 3 cylinder 2 stroke motor on a light little 250 or 300 aluminum frame, with some port work ect......custom :twisted:

rustbucket
03-02-2005, 11:22 PM
heres my current sled , 79 arctic cat el tigre 6000 (440 l/c) mods for next winter will include short windsheild, double expansion chambers from aaen brothers, 38 or 40 mm mikunis and cylinders from a 77 arctic Z racer, these mods will make the horse power jump from 75 to around 110-120 I forgot the clutching mods i will be using a comet 108c for the overdrive and the torque converter from a 81 eltigre 6000 so i can have the wider belt and the 80 degree reverse cam. And by the way If i am not mistaken a bravo and a et 340 take the same belt dayco 1106, why not lose the bravo and go with a et 340 long track? I have a beat et 340 and in 500ft on sandy snow it will do 42 mph and i am about 275 pounds

BigGreenMachine
03-03-2005, 12:09 AM
I've actually been looking at swapping a 340 Enticer motor in but I'm waiting for a deal on a good used motor trailprotrailpro I actually do it.

MTS
03-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I've actually been looking at swapping a 340 Enticer motor in but I'm waiting for a deal on a good used motor trailprotrailpro I actually do it.

the enticers go pretty good for a 340....but why not just dig out a 440....theres gota be one around there somewhere, hehe

honda200
03-03-2005, 12:17 AM
if i remeber correctly from my sled modding days, an SS440 and an SRV 540 will bolt in, but the clutch needs some fab work to align properly, but you can get your hands on an SRV 540 like none other, so i would be doing that, the suspension from an ET 340 wont bolt in as far as i know, but maybe you can make something work for yea, and you can stud/cleat the track me and my buddies way:

3/8 angle iron, slightly thinner (in width) then the track, leave 1/2 to 3/4 room on each side,
3/8 stainless steel bolts (about 500, LOL)
3/8 flat washers and nuts

what you do:

bolt the angle iron onto the track so it acts like paddles, leave the bolts sticking ABOVE the top of the angle iron so it also acts as studs, you can grind these to points if you wish, sure it will be a rough ride, but think of the traction!!

Curtis

rustbucket
03-03-2005, 09:41 AM
the problem with putting those larrger motors in is the chaincase will twist or break under the pressure becuase there is no jack shaft, it will need to be braced.

BigGreenMachine
03-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Thats why I wanted a 300, more power but not too much as to break parts by stressing them out. When I said a long track conversion I meant using the track and slide suspension from a longtrack Bravo, not an Enticer.

I'm not bolting angle iron to my track, its a stupid mod that will kill my ride quality and eventually ruin my track and tunnel. Not to mention I do alot of brakesliding.

I'm probably goin to brace the jackshaft anyway to save the sled from my throttle hand.