PDA

View Full Version : Practice Tracks and Private Trails

Derrick Adams
03-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Anyone else on here have a private riding area? We have a 40 acre farm with only 13 acres of woods, but let me tell you we really maximize the space! We built most of our trails last year (actually left over from YEARS ago) and now we're redoing them all for this year. The recent ice storm devistated our woods and closed off every trail back there.

We spent 4 hours on Sunday cutting new trails (which is almost as fun as riding them). The way our property lays, the woods is about 25-30 feet lower than the farm ground with a creek running thru it. So most of the way around it we have hills to climb. Everything from very mild to moderately aggressive. Then we have various flat trails and creek crossings thru out the woods. It has been said by everyone that rides out there that it is a very entertaining riding area (little of everything) I think the best part is that there's no worries of trespassing EVER!

Generally you can ride there for about 3-4 hours before you've had your fill and conquered everything. That is until now! We started laying out our MX track on Sunday. Nestled in the center of the woods is a large clearing that's just too boring to ride so we decided to take advantage of the space. So far it seems that there is just enough room for some nice straights for whoops and a couple doubles. We also routed it so that we can have a nice up hill, step-up jump and some real nice berms. Still it's a small track with lots of turns, so that should keep speeds down and injurys to a minimum.

I'm really excited about getting it constructed because I think it will take our 3-4hr riding area and turn it into a full day affair!

Now if I can just get a 500ft straight cleared out for the drags. :D

Let's see some pictures of your stomping grounds!

I'll add more pictures thru out the next couple weeks, while we work on the place.

BigGreenMachine
03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Looks like a great spot, I've seen pics of your area online trailprotrailpro and it looks super nice.

Where I live there is kilometer upon square kilometer of land that nobody owns so really you can ride where you want as long as the ground is solid. We have tons of old logging trails and lots that have grown over. My family owns about a 5 acre meadow that I want to turn into a MX track, maybe I'll start clearing this spring by burning all the brush down. There are some trails that I plan on cutting this summer as well just to make getting to some places easier and faster. Some bridges also need to be rebuilt.

seadoo650
03-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Hey Derrick, let me know if ya need some help anytime. A track sounds cool. :w00t: I'll try not to wreck next time. HA HA. I finally am getting over the flu, cleaned up the X Sunday. It's got a small dent in the tank now. :wondering

Derrick Adams
03-20-2005, 05:36 PM
***Update***
Well, we spent some more time back on our track last sunday, and the guys are out there today working some more! I had to stay home, because I somehow caught seadoo's flu. :cry:

After riding our track breifly, we decided to increase the size of it. It's now 3 times larger, weaving thru-out the center of the woods. It's been a process, but we're starting to see the fruits of our labor! We put in a large straight which is going to accomodate a larger 15' or so "double", with a flat lane around it.(In case people don't feel up to it) We put in some nice sweeping turns and doubled the width of the whole coarse.

Hopefully the guys finish up removing all the thorn trees today. We're renting a Bobcat with a front bucket to build all the jumps within the next 2 weeks. :w00t:

After we get all the track designed and built, we still have to clear all the other trails. I think i'm going to clearly mark them this year as well, for the inexperienced riders that occasionally visit. It's turning out to be a nice place for us to kill a good sunday afternoon. :D

Next up: all the new hills we found to open up!!!!

3leggeddog
03-20-2005, 10:09 PM
what a pain in my arse.i spent 7 hours in the woods today.our freind todd showed up
with his sweet 20" chain saw,(thank god).it made quick work of the big stuff.still got another days worth of work to do,but it's close.we'll try to get some pics up after the trackk is done.

chris200x
03-20-2005, 10:28 PM
How do you go about making whoops? There is a set of railroad tracks near my house that have whoops that go forever. I was thinkin after reading this post before did someone dig all those out?

rustbucket
03-20-2005, 10:35 PM
we have about a 30-40 acre peice that has a large creek in it that flow to some pond like deal and it has a serious mud pit and some rather large hills is great in summer but when we take our vintage sleds out there its really fun donuts on the ice climbing the hills rolling them over and crap.

MyMistress86R
03-21-2005, 03:08 PM
How do you go about making whoops? There is a set of railroad tracks near my house that have whoops that go forever. I was thinkin after reading this post before did someone dig all those out?

The "whoops" along a railraod track are created by the passage of trains rolling on the track over time. If you have ever had the opportunity to watch a train roll along out away from a crossing, you would see exactly what i mean. As the weight of the train rolls over the track, you would notice that it kind-of bounces along. It's that motion that creates the whoops by compressing the rockbed in semi-regular intervals. It's a physics thing...waves of kinetic energy and all that.

As far as Derrick and Brandon's track and trails, they are coming along nicely. It's going to be a very well laid out track with trails and hillclimb sections all around. One of our next projects is to also build a river crossing bridge for those times when the water in the river is too deep to easily ford. Should be fairly easy with a couple of strategically fallen trees.

And, in case you all are wondering, I know this because I am the friend (Todd) with the righteous chainsaw...lol.

YAMAHA_Jim
03-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Nice trails derrick.

I'm not clear on the whole train/whoop thing. If a train makes whoops,how can it continue to ride on the tracks.I understand that traintracks and railroad ties will go down a bit as the train goes over them but they come right back up after the train rolls on.
The railroad tracks we ride on here no longer have trains or tracks on them.The tracks and ties were removed along time ago and now everything is grown over and you wouldnt know you were even on an old railroad bed,,,and yes they are very whooped out but the trains had nothing to do with making them. Maybe your train tracks are different than what we have up here.

Derrick Adams
03-21-2005, 11:39 PM
It seems to me that this only occurs when atv's ride down them. I personally think that it's caused by tires spinning and rolling up the rocks, combined with rebounding suspension. wouldn't take long to create that.

Meat-BoX
03-22-2005, 05:23 AM
Big Green, I was Checking out the Newfie Laws and if you would like to make a trail say from your house over a mountain to the other side to say get to the Rialbed or another Trail. You can Give the Local government your Trail plan and as long as you dont hit any Bogs you can Build a trail for a Fee of like 100 dollars Canadien. The Land you build youer Trail on is Considered Crown Land so you are not responsible for any accidents. I found this out, for my Trail System that starts at Chance Cove and goes over the mountain to the Railbed. There is one allready but My father in law and his Buddies are making one this summer with my help from Chance Cove to the coast then up to Randtom? then the Railbed. In NY they make your register your machine, take your money and say go ride in your yard. :( So I dont Regester any Machine here. There is this place called WWW.HEADRUSH.COM
Its a Paintball Park with an NBL Sanctioned Race track and Trick area. They are building and outdoor Motocross track and an Indoor Track. I allso asked them to build a Pond for Ice Racing.
Around here we have miles of old unused Railbeds that we ride. They pass many streams and Ponds along with the Occasional small Sand Dune to Rip up. :beer
And yes they are full of sick ass whoops :Bounce

BigGreenMachine
03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Meat, we have hundreds apon hundreds of trails around here. Most of them are just logging trails that people made for getting firewood and they grow until you get a system of trails that spread over a large area. The government is pretty strict on riding in the marshes but its only the Game Warden that you need to look out for when riding. You never see them unless you ride on the road to get to a trail, even then you hardly ever see them. Since the land behind my house and the meadow is ours I won't need to register any trails or pay anyone for what I build.

Have you decided if your bringing your Tecate to NFLD or buying something new? I need to rebuild mine once again.