PDA

View Full Version : Tecate headlight housing

Steiger
03-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Most of you probably have been watching this. For those that haven't this is how it went down. $420.78 for a new oem headlight shell for the Tecate :eek: :eek: I would like to have one, but I don't know, I think I would consider selling mine if I had one for that money. :D

Tecate headlight ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4529596478)

Steiger
03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
How about this one, it was more exciting. I got outbid really quick :( Tecate right side shroud $433.88 Did anybody here get these ? Congratulations if you did!

Tecate right side shroud ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4529596609&category=0)

Orangecnty250r
03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I just won the new OEM headlight cover and right shroud :w00t: :
It went for alot more than I planned. I am trying to make this bike show quality and not planning to ride this one. This Is why I sold my new oem TriZ headlight cover and new ATC motor on ebay this week to fund these purchases had to take the morning off from work to (luckily he ran this for ten days- I listed my stuff the same day his auctions started and I was able to collect all of my money already. Pictured is the headlight housing I have its just about mint but not the exact color green as my other T3 plastic. I also have nice shrouds but the right one I had didn't match the green of the new OEM left I had. Below is how my T3 is coming along. Its ready to start being put back together but I'm waiting on new fork boot clamps and shock linkage bushings. My goal is to make one of the sweetest T3's out there. Ive read the thread on professionally painting the tanks so I've printed it and I'm going to have the tank color matched and painted at a speed shop. I'll have and old second tank to put the gas in when she needs to be brought out in the field to stretch her legs. Never thought I would get my hands on this plastic Any one have a NEW TANK :naughty:

Steiger
03-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow ! You are going to have one nice lookin Tecate !!!!!!!! I admit I am jealous, but I am glad to see you are going to put these to good use. You are one dedicated Tecate fan, taking off work and everything you did to get them is fantastic. Cheers to you :beer If you have any parts left over you want to sell, I would be interested. I want to fix one up someday. Make sure you post some pictures of yours on here when your done.

250RNUT
03-02-2005, 02:45 PM
You my friend, Are out of your friggin mind. Nice trike though

RacerRichie
03-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Man you are tweaked! You are hardcore brother.
Good luck with the resto. I too need tecate plastic but not that bad....
Looks like I going with a number plate. And yes I am going to ride it when its done. :rolleyes:

twgranger
03-02-2005, 04:15 PM
I think TRIZTUNES paid that much for his tecate plastic too.

TABDUDE
03-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I sniped up to $375 and then said I'm out. Great score! Make sure we see tons of picts when its done. Glad to seee someone here drop the coin for it, since I wussed out!!! ;)

Orangecnty250r
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks Guys!! I will keep you updated with pictures. Some of you guys are just as hardcore as me if you look at the bid history. I lost the first whole T3 was bidding on to John deere rules on ebay then I lost the brand new coolant resevoir to someone else recently so I threw hail marys of bids at the end to get these parts. I'm taking my time on this one I'm estimating another 4-6 weeks before 100%. I may decide to sell the headlight pictured above and my pair of REALLY NICE shrouds as a set on ebay soon to hopefully recoup some of my money or I may keep them to put on a T3 that I will ride (my 86 R is show quality and I dont ride it/ My 85 I ride) So I may have the best of both worlds with the T3 also I'll let everyone know.

NICKG
03-02-2005, 09:43 PM
well how much do you want to spend ? i am 20 miles from you

Steiger
03-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Some of you guys are just as hardcore as me if you look at the bid history. I lost the first whole T3 was bidding on to John deere rules on ebay then I lost the brand new coolant resevoir to someone else recently so I threw hail marys of bids at the end to get these parts.

Yeah you are right, I just did not want to admit it. But the first step in curing an atc addiction, is admitting I have a problem, so therefore I don't want to admit it. :D I tried to bid on the shroud but every bid I entered at the last few seconds, kept saying I needed to enter a higher bid. The bids were coming in fast and I never would of guessed it to go that high. That was an auction that I will remember for a while.

What did you loose to me, "JDR"? Sorry about that. But I think you got a nicer set than anything I have. I don't have any NOS shroud or headlight yet. I forgot to bid on the resevoir, but it went pretty high I thought. Oh wait what doesn't go high for a tecate?

Anyway I didn't mind loosing to you, I am glad to see you get it. But I will always be jealous, at least till I find some. :D

Steiger
03-04-2005, 01:38 AM
well how much do you want to spend ? i am 20 miles from you

Nick, who are you talking too, and to answer the question I think your asking.... "AS MUCH AS IT TAKES" !!!!!!!!!!!

twgranger
03-04-2005, 09:56 AM
it's going to be a sweet trike.

Jeb
03-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Now I know my NOS right hander is never coming out of the bag. and it's worth over $400. :eek:

I bought a brand new Coolant tank and cap assembly from Kawasaki in '00 or '01. It's hard to believe that it's been 4 or 5 years since I did, but I guess now they come up as discontinued?

Orangecnty250r
03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I thought it was you that had the right hander in the bag. Theres nothing like ebay to determine what the public is willing to pay. Since I wont be riding this bike I will be keeping the factory bag for value purposes. The coolant tank came up discontinued for me but I'm sure thats one of those items that could be found easier than a shroud. I didn't know it was discontinued until after the auction otherwise it may have ended differently.

Steiger-- Glad to see there's other T3 junkies out there. Maybe a support group is in order. I made a mistake I lost the complete tecate to deer 555 ATV something like that. The "deer" threw me off. I thought you came up as steiger not JDR in your bids. You are correct It was an auction to remember!!! Was you heart pumping as fast as mine? If you look at the bid history the names bidding have become very familiar to me. This shandellic has recently been popping up.

250SX
03-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Ebay isn't a price guide.

twgranger
03-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Alot of people think it is.

TABDUDE
03-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't want to take anyone but I also don't want to give anything away. We are all trying to get the most out of our stuff, So we can dump more back into our Trikes. If something sells high and I have one I will try to get close to that $ FOR SURE!
See YA
Torrey B.

Orangecnty250r
03-05-2005, 02:59 PM

No disrespect here but then what is a price guide???. Do you have a book that lists rare discontinued parts and what an appropriate price would be for them. I truly believe in a weird sense it is a price guide. How do you price a 66 corvette, or an antique bench. In antiques and other rare items A price is set by what people are willing to pay for it and when many people are willing to pay a certain amount for a rare item then theres your price. If enthusiasts are willing to buy a collectible car such as a 66 corvette and the selling price has been 65,000 would you sell it for 40,000. Before I started buying these parts I was in an antique shop, When I was in line a customer asked the owner about a value book and he replied by saying he doesnt use them anymore he uses ebay. Believe me I wish this stuff didnt go for this much but its supply and demand which is evident on ebay and hence determining pricing. I would welcome any other suggestions to determine pricing on parts that just dont exist anymore.

Steiger
03-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Steiger-- Glad to see there's other T3 junkies out there. Maybe a support group is in order. I made a mistake I lost the complete tecate to deer 555 ATV something like that. The "deer" threw me off. I thought you came up as steiger not JDR in your bids. You are correct It was an auction to remember!!! Was you heart pumping as fast as mine? If you look at the bid history the names bidding have become very familiar to me. This shandellic has recently been popping up.

haHA, Yes something like "TA", Tecate's Annonymous. lol. Yeah there is a lot of deere names out there. I wanted "Steiger" for my ebay name but it was already taken, so after a lot of "User name already exists" messages, I settled on my other favorite tractor. JOHN DEERE RULES finally came up available. That "Steiger 1974" has been in some other T-3 battles with me. Not sure who it is though.

Yes, that auction really got my blood pumping. What a rush ! I don't know this shandellic but I did see triztunes was bidding on the headlight. He buys some nice stuff.

I bought your tank cover. I have been wanting one for a while now. Figured I would buy yours since I know of ya. :D

250SX
03-08-2005, 09:15 PM
The reason ebay isn't a price guide is because you can't judge value from what stuff brings. I'm a platinum powerseller on ebay ($2mil+/year) so I know this firsthand. Just look at Tecate shrouds. I bought a new left shroud for $16 a few weeks ago. That guy with the headlight shroud sold his for almost $90. Now tell me what one is worth? It all depends on who sees the item & how bad they want it at the time. Now if someone was to keep track of this stuff & average out the prices then maybe you could use it as a basis, but you can't point to this particular headlight auction & say that all mint T3 shrouds are worth $xxx.

Orangecnty250r
03-08-2005, 11:40 PM
I think someone alerted the buyer because the seller told me the bidder on the left shroud did not contact him to $$$. I agree an average would be appropriate and thats a good point you cant just go by one auction. If you were going to make a formal price guide you would do research and I'll bet that research would include EBAY. How else could it possibly be done at this point. Contacting sellers to see if they actually collected on the auction would help. Also that research would have to include a grading system on the condition of the part and the price. It gets complicated. I guess the defination of WORTH can be construed in a couple of ways. Theres no question about what a 16.00 shroud is worth if its still available. I think I was talking about rare discontinued parts. How do you put a price on them??? No one even knows how many of certain things are left out there. As for the shroud and headlight these are two replacement parts that you cant buy from a dealer and have been discontinued for some time. You cant even buy aftermarket ones. i think that auction is a good indicator of what Jebs is worth because there was several bidders with good feedback who wanted it. I guess we'll have to wait to the next time we see another brand new right shroud OR will we EVER ??? I started another thread on this topic but there has been no interest. I guess well all just keep watching.

250SX
03-09-2005, 02:00 AM
I've paid all over the place for shrouds. I bought a project trike with like-new shrouds & a westcoast swingarm for less than that RH shroud went for on ebay...of course it was mislabeled a "kowasaki" :) Then again people like Jeb found it too & it was in his backyard. I've also bought nice shroud pairs from anywhere from $100-250. There's just too much variation to use it to get a "value." When I sell a car it might bring $20k the first time & $30k the 2nd time. go figure.

Jeb
03-09-2005, 10:23 AM
I bought a project trike with like-new shrouds & a westcoast swingarm for less than that RH shroud went for on ebay...of course it was mislabeled a "kowasaki" :) Then again people like Jeb found it too & it was in his backyard.

Yeah, and the sad thing on that bike for me is I tried my best to get that guy to end the auction early. He almost did too. For me to bring him $75 CASH and come pick it up the next day! Word got out about it on these boards and he started getting email about the WestCoast swingarm and decided to let it run out. At least thats the excuse he gave me. I should have offered more, because Dan got it for a pretty good price, even though it was a junk pile. I wanted #1 because it was local and #2 I thought it to be a good candidate to build a race chassis, similar to Jimmy Whites. I've got all the plastic stuff for the front like number plates and airbox covers etc. Just needed a swingarm and axle. At the time I just wasn't willing to go that high. Dan, did it end up having an aftermarket axle? Have you restored it?

250SX
03-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Well to be honest I haven't done anything to it. It's about 3rd on the T3 restoration line. ;) It was some kind of racer I think b/c the lower triples were notched so the front wheel will turn almost 90deg side to side. I can't believe the shrouds were still good. My snipe was for over double what it ended up going for. How do I tell on the axle?

Jeb
03-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Post a pic of it and I (or someone else on here) might be able to tell. Or just measure it compared to one of your stockers.

Seems like I remember the guy saying the shrouds were great. But some peoples "great" ends up being "not very good"! :p

Cool to hear they were good afterall!

Orangecnty250r
04-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Going through the archives.....OVER One year later and there has never been another Tecate right shroud or headlight bezel....makes it feel like it was even a better deal...no regrets!!! especially where the price of not so rare items have gone:crazy:

3tigers
04-13-2006, 10:38 PM
i have 2 new oem rights in the package.paid $14 each for them.

Orangecnty250r
04-14-2006, 07:38 AM
i have 2 new oem rights in the package.paid $14 each for them.

Did you buy them before discontinued or lucky enouh to find after. You wouldnt sell them for 14.00 would you..;) Didnt think so...Still no regrets I pay big for some things and find other rare items cheap....like three red Hondlaine ATC covers in the box for 25.00 each:D ..All evens out in the end:beer

3tigers
04-14-2006, 07:40 PM
i was lucky enough to find one at a closed kawasaki dealert and the other actually came with an 86 tecate i bought.the owner ordered a left one and received a right one instead.so he gave it to me as an extra with the tecate.this of course was 3 years ago before the craze kicked in.