PDA

View Full Version : kids trx 250r/200

x.system
03-05-2005, 10:24 AM
My son has been hounding me about making him an R. I bought him a 86 trx 125 2 years ago when he was 8 and he rides it but hates it. His gripe is no suspension. He's going to be 10 this summer so I was thinking of building an R with a smaller 4 stroke motor like the 125 has, maybe even a 185 or 200 out of an older three wheeler. I was also thinking about buying one of those new cobra mini's but after looking around for places for him to race in MI it doesn't seem worth it. For him to race would mean at least a 3 hour drive one way to Indiana or Ohio just so he could race, then I don't even know if he would really get into it.

I have alot of extra r parts laying around but would need a frame and a motor and a couple odds and ends.

Has anyone tried this or have thoughts one way or another?

TimSr
03-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Its the weight of the trike rather than then size of the motor that makes bigger ones more dangerous for smaller kids. If you are alreday looking at a full size chassis, you might be better off to just look at a 200x. As a matter of fact, the 200x chassis is smaller than the 250r chassis so I think youd be worse off dropping a 125 into an R chassis, than going with a 200x if you are trying to make something to fit him.

The bad part about trikes is that the ones designed for that age group, the 110's and 125's dont have suspension, and roll so much easier than the big ones. I may catch flack on this site for it, but Im not going to penalize my kid but demanding that he be trike purist. He enjoyes the ALT125, but he loves his Raptor 80, and its a full suspension quad designed for somebody his size. He's 100 lbs now, so a 200X would fit him pretty well now, but he's not ready to trade his Raptor in on one, and I wouldnt think of asking him to. To me, the best suited thing for a 10 year old of average size is a mini quad.

Another good one, if you can find it is an old TRX200sx quad. It has electric start and reverse, suspension, auto clutch, and is between a mini and a full size quad.

OldSchoolin86
03-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Sound like a good idea x.system, I really feel like your on the right path. I'm assuming you want him to have a quad since this is in the quad forum, if you don't care then the 200x would be a decent option.

It seems like a great handling quad with a beginner type motor is something that the industry needs. If I were to do it I'd try to find a 200x motor and mount that in a trx250r frame. The beauty of this beast is that you should be able to build it without major frame mods and you could upgrade him up to a 250r motor some day when he's ready to handle it. Also the 200x motor can be a nice smooth tame motor or a nice sporty one depending on how you build it. I think you've got a great idea and should run with it.

x.system
03-05-2005, 11:00 PM
I've got a trx frame coming I won off ebay so I will start with that. I want to use an automatic transmission and I would really like it to have electric start. If its electric start I won't have to worry about him getting it started out where we camp and that will give him a little more freedom. After thinking about it a little more I think I could go with a 125 motor and still have plenty of power for him. I'm going to use an 88 aluminum swingarm, shortened 2 inches and I will add wheel spacers to widen it a couple inches. I want to raise the pegs about 2 inches and pull the stearing back about 2 inches. I am also thinking about bolting a piece of flat steel where the 250r motor mounts to and building off that so I don't have to change any of the stock 250r mounting tabs, but chain clearance will determine if I can do that. I have a little work to do to the frame once it shows up but I need to find a motor as soon as possible so I can start a mock up.

jakey
03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
I think the 200x motor is going to be to small in an r frame. I imean i know he's small but thats a full size sport quad with a 14 hp motor. Honestly what i would have done is buy him a 250x quad and let him ride tht for a while until he gets full control of the bike and grows some. Then when he is ready do a 350x/250x motor swap and that will give him the power he will want by then. You can buy the whole swap kit at www.powroll.com.

imo he will get bored of the tame power of a 124 or 200 motor in a r.

But since you've already got the frame you could put a 300ex motor in there...that would be super sick for a 10 year old...

OldSchoolin86
03-13-2005, 11:05 PM
I think the 200x motor is going to be to small in an r frame. I imean i know he's small but thats a full size sport quad with a 14 hp motor. Honestly what i would have done is buy him a 250x quad and let him ride tht for a while until he gets full control of the bike and grows some. Then when he is ready do a 350x/250x motor swap and that will give him the power he will want by then. You can buy the whole swap kit at www.powroll.com.

imo he will get bored of the tame power of a 124 or 200 motor in a r.

But since you've already got the frame you could put a 300ex motor in there...that would be super sick for a 10 year old...I'm confused with your advice. The 282EX motor makes about the same hp as a 200x. If the 200x motor is a bad idea why would you run a 282EX motor? :wondering

trikerider2oo7
03-13-2005, 11:24 PM
i would put a 250ex motor in the frame if you could get one...they have everything you want