PDA

View Full Version : Ebay As a pricing Guide???

Orangecnty250r
03-05-2005, 03:30 PM
I am looking for opinions in a CONSTRUCTIVE DEBATE in response to a post on another thread. I was interested in this and decided this should be a new thread. No disrespect to others opinions-- thats WHAT A DEBATE IS ABOUT.
Some felt that ebay wasn't a pricing guide and I disagree. Is there book out there that lists rare and obsolete ATV parts and what they are worth?? Pricing is set by supply and demand. SOME OF THIS STUFF IS VERY RARE!! Ebay supplies the part and then you have the demand ---like alligators in a pit. If you price something to high no one buys it. If 5 people are willing to pay something for a certain part then there's its relative worth!! The next person selling will likely get that for it. What sets the price of a 66 corvette?? The number available and what people are willing to pay for it. If they are going for 65,000 would you sell it for 40,000 NO!!!-- You would want 65,000 , Would you sell it for 80,000 NO because no one would buy it, they would buy one for 65,000. As I mentioned in the other thread -- I was in an antique shop and while in line a customer asked the owner if he had a pricing book, he replied by saying "no I check ebay to determine pricing". Believe me I dont want to pay this much for these parts!! But guess what? If I don't I wont have the part will I. So I say unfortunetly EBAY IS A PRICING GUIDE. If anyone else has a better method or way to determine pricing on rare and obsolete parts let us know. I look forward to peoples thoughts on this one and if I learn something new great!!!!

seadoo650
03-05-2005, 06:20 PM
You could use ebay to get a rough estimate. I find selling price is based alot on area. A 350x in the west usually sells for more than one in the east. I've also seen parts sell for totally different prices in the same area. I agree woth you though "it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

200x Basket
03-05-2005, 10:45 PM
i think it is a great price guide. you would have to be an idiot not to.