PDA

View Full Version : New Ohio regulations require $200 license and $50k bond to sell on ebay

Billy Golightly
03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/07/technology/ohio_ebay/index.htm

Wow....

OldSchoolin86
03-08-2005, 12:41 PM
That's a nice mix of dumb, stupid and scary. What the hell is wrong with people?

Lomax
03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
The Goverment will find any way it can to get its hands deeper in your pockets. I am at loss for words on how to describe how dumb this is.

ScottZJ
03-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I love it.....I called this about a year or so ago! I said the government isnt going to take this sitting down, they are going to want a piece of this pie! If they do what they are saying in that post, ebay is gone as we know it. I know I wont be using it anymore. They will just end up creating a new auction site and be able to use it til the get ahold of it. Truely sad, the government wants more money so they can make 3 figures. :( :rolleyes:

Wickedfinger
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
well .... anybody who runs an online store listing "Ohio" as their state or address as far as "selling" goods goes ....... I would be changing my location.

twgranger
03-08-2005, 03:15 PM
That is stupid.

Billy Golightly
03-08-2005, 04:01 PM
I wonder what will determine if you "sell enough"? I know people like Howdy and TimSr sell quite a bit on ebay even though their not really businesses. Will they be effected? What about the thousands of others?

busy44
03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Be carefull what you say about our Governmrnt You might be labeled a terrorist.There are laws on the books against such remarks made against THEM . Are you rebelling.

Wickedfinger
03-08-2005, 04:46 PM
none of this really suprises me anyway .... they have been trying to "tax" the internet, sort of speak, for years.

Howdy
03-08-2005, 06:53 PM
This is pure craziness. The good news is that I only live 12 miles from Indiana ( 27 miles from Dad ). He may start selling stuff on ebay for me. lol
Howdy

trikerider2oo7
03-08-2005, 09:50 PM
well...i bet that will include all power sellers...glad i dont sell much stuff.

Dammit!
03-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Next thing you know they're gonna ban three wheelers. Oh wait....

Apollo
03-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Good one Dammit!

grundlegrabber
03-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Big Brother is everywhere , won't leave you alone in any aspect of your life anymore. "then there is a need for regulation"? Why is there such a need? No logical reasoning other than somebody's out there making money and uncle sam ain't gettin his cut. This senator needs this to go thru so the state will have more $$ to buy him a bigger mercedes next year. What a shame.

faf_racing
03-09-2005, 02:28 AM
I dont know what too say too you people living in Ohio except..... i hate that state!!!! but dont worry Chicago is just as bad. goveronment officials are getting out of control in the midwest,so i made my decision to move West!! This is all politics so i hope i didnt offened you as this is out of all of our hands.

Lomax
03-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Next thing you know they're gonna ban three wheelers. Oh wait....

Reminds me, A guy talked to me a couple of months ago demanding that I haul all my trike across the scales at the local metal yard before i got in trouble for owning them because it is illegal and they are cracking down on the people that have them........... How do people dream this stuff up? are they really that bored???

philmoore
03-14-2005, 07:06 PM
You think that is bad, Minnesota has a new law proposed that bans riding ATV's at speeds exceeding 10mph when riding within 150' of a house. That means I can't ride as fast as I want on my own property!

CodyRx7
03-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Ahh, my first post. I should have known it would be ebay related.

Anyhow, the Ohio deal doesn't apply to ebay sellers. This was a pretty drawn out discussion on the ebay powerseller's forum (I'm a Gold powerseller there).

It only seems to apply to actual auction house companies, who may branch off onto ebay, but not just regular ebay sellers.

Howdy
06-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Ohio Ebay Sellers Update:

I got this letter from Ebay the other day:

Dear Ohio Seller,
In May, Ohio State Senator Larry Mumper sponsored and passed substitute Senate Bill 99 in the Ohio legislature. Why should you care about this particular bill? Because, it exempts Ohio eBay sellers from becoming licensed auctioneers.

Without this legislation your costs and regulatory burden to do business in Ohio would have dramatically increased. eBay Sellers would have been forced to waste hours and potentially thousands of dollars on certification classes and ongoing compliance requirements.

So, please take a moment to thank Senator Mumper for his leadership on this important legislation. Below is a draft thank you note that you can personalize and either e-mail to Senator Mumper or print off and mail.

SD26@mailr.sen.state.oh.us
Senator Larry Mumper
Ohio Senate Building
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Re: Senate Bill 99, Auctioneers Law

Dear Senator Mumper:

I want to thank you for your leadership in sponsoring substitute Senate Bill 99. I appreciate that you recognized the need to exempt those who buy or sell property via the internet from all licensing requirements under the Ohio auctioneering law. Had S.B. 99 not passed, burdensome and unnecessary requirements could have greatly harmed my business and prevented many others from entering Internet marketplaces.

Again, as a member of the eBay community, I thank you for your support of S.B. 99. Should you want to discuss these issues in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Put your name here
Thank you, in advance, for taking the time to do this. It is crucial that those elected officials who champion our Community are shown recognition and appreciation. If possible please send a copy of your letter to eBay's government relations team at: government_relations@ebay.com.

Sincerely,

Tod Cohen
Vice President and Deputy General Counsel

P.S. For more information on Auctioneering Regulation visit the Government Relations website (http://click3.ebay.com/16027434.57308.0.44971).

Looks like we need to Thank Ohio State Senator Larry Mumper.
Thanks
Howdy