PDA

View Full Version : warrior lost spark

blue83ranger
03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
the problem i'm having is with my 1998 Yamaha warrior. I let my cousin ride it and it "just died" and i checked out the spark and there was none.
when i first got it (about a year ago) it didn't have spark and i wiggled the plugs on the cdi box around then ever since then i had spark and i never had another problem with it. this time i tried that again and i still don't have spark. also my nuetral light never worked and while i had the cdi box off i used a test light on all the wires and one made the nuetral light come on. does the cdi box control the nuetral light? and from the sound of this, is it possible my cdi box went bad? what else should i check out? and would anyone have a cdi box that don't want? i have one for an '87 i may trade. thanks for any help on this

3leggeddog
03-11-2005, 06:46 PM
i ran into a problem with my 98 warrior like this.it ha intermetent spark and i thought it was the cdi but turned out to be the pick up coil.i have a cdi i bought for that bike.it's still here as it was extra.i'll take 80 bux shipped for it.i was told that the cdi's do go bad,but check the pick up coil first.

blue83ranger
03-12-2005, 09:10 PM
would you happen to have a repair book for a warrior? i need the specs on what the wires coming out of the motor should read. i also asked my question on a 4 wheeler site and there was a mechanic that said useally yamaha's pick coils go bad like you said, but i still want to check to be sure. because i'm planning on selling my warrior to get a 400ex,(if i'm lucky an '05) and i don't want to spend much on it.

blue83ranger
04-12-2005, 12:40 PM
i bought a new pick up coil from ricky stator, still no spark, and i had a guy tell me EVERTHING to check and what the specs. should be and everything checked out good, so we both thought it had to be the cdi, since yamaha doesn't give specs. on it. so i bought one, still no spark. does anyone have any ideas at all on what i should check (recheck really) and thanks for any help at all with this.

4cylinders
04-12-2005, 10:11 PM
hey, yamahas have a weird ground for the ignition, hooks up with a litte plug back by the battery ground. sometimes that corrodes inside, worth checking out.

blue83ranger
05-09-2005, 04:25 PM
i just checked that that wire, and i used a test light with that plug unpluged, i tested both sides of that plug, and the light came on. so that is good.